Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the MS family

Hello everyone.

This is all pretty new to me, I have been doing research all night. I was diagnosed recently with MS, officially with my brain MRI last week. It took a while but it is finally starting to sink in. I have been too afraid to go back to the doctor for my follow up appointment to see what type I may have. I don't really know what to expect nor do I know what to do next. I am at a loss.

I am a college student that just began my Masters degree. I woke up about 6 months ago with double vision. I sought out the help of my local ophthalmologist, and aside from my near sightedness, all my tests came back normal. The double vision continued in conjunction with a dizzy drunk feeling. I don't know how to describe it other than feeling drunk.

For the last 8 years I have had on and off chronic pain issues. Due to my age (I am 25) for years doctors consistently thought I was a drug seeker and or making it up and therefore were not very sympathetic. I have been depressed on and off for the majority of the last 8 years, and it is mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting.

Anyways, one thing came to another and my doctor calls me today with the results from of my MRI from my radiologist and says "I'm sorry, but I regret to inform you your scans show evidence of MS."

I haven't really processed it yet. I guess I had an inkling. My aunt was diagnosed 12 years ago and I have been wondering ever since but have been too scared to ask my doctor. I guess I was hoping if I didn't say the words then maybe it wouldn't be true.

If anyone could give me some idea of what to expect I would really appreciate it. I would much rather hear it from someone that empathizes with me than a doctor who couldn't possibly understand.

Thanks for listening, all.

<3mooree06

Hi, and welcome to a good site for information.
    Since this miserable disease affects everyone differently, there is no way to tell you what to expect.

The best thing to do is educate yourself about this. You might want to start a drug that can help slow the progression. Read up on your options, and don't be afraid of being your best advocate of what YOU want to do.

I hate to see someone of your age dealing with this,but they are getting closer to answers to help at least heal the damaged areas.

Good luck.

Comment

WELCOME TO MS WORLD! We are so glad to have you, but sorry why. I agree you with the education part, but you can find a lot of miss information on the Internet. I am going to include a list of good places to look for information. I hope this helps you in your journey. And by all means, continue your education and pursue that Masters degree. Good luck.

National MS Society http://www.nmss.org
      Multiple Sclerosis Association of America http://www.msassociation.org
      Multiple Sclerosis International Foundation http://www.msif.org/ Multiple Sclerosis Foundation http://www.msfocus.org/ 1-888-MSFOCUS
      Find Local MS Chapter http://www.nationalmssociety.org/fin...ter/index.aspx

You can also check out our chat rooms. And also look at the resource Center, conference center,and creative center for a little inspiration.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi mooree, and welcome to the site. I would do the best you can to calmly processes this information. It's alot to take in one bite. I agree with others about educating your self and come here with questions and for support. We know what you are going through. Take care Dale
        Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. It is a great help to me in this journey. I do have some probably rather silly questions pertaining to MS. How do you all deal with the symptoms, and in what ways do they affect you in your every day life? How does it affect your relationships? I am in a committed relationship, and I am scared to death to tell my partner about my recent diagnosis. I don't think he will leave me, but I'm just scared to see that look on his face, I don't know if I could handle it right now...

Comment

Your neuro, will be able to help with symptom management. As for everyday impact in life that is so individual it would be hard for someone else to answer. There is a forum on here for relationships that may be informative. Hope this helps some. Dale
            Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Hello and Welcome mooore66!

Learning you have MS is a shocker, wether you expected it or not. Let yourself go through the emotions, it's part of the process. Maybe telling your partner could be a good support for you right now.

Having a good support system helps. Either family, friends, or an online support group like us. Your local MS Society Chapter should also have a support line.

I found that learning about MS was much easier here than through the Internet. Also, the more you learn from people who are living with MS, the less scary it becomes. You'll find that people here are living well, they still have fairly normal lives. Or, they learned to redefine normal.

We're all here for each other so don't be shy! Ask questions, vent, cry or laugh, were here to help you. You are not alone!
              When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
              X