Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had to have somewhere to speak..I'm sorry

Hello,
    I just joined the group today and know a light hearted intro would surely be better. However I'm struggling to not lose
    my mind and need an outlet away from family and friends.They know whats going on and are very loving and helpful but I
    dont want them burdened with how close to the edge I'm teetering. So, I choose this board to express my feelings in hopes
    that someone can say something that helps or at least I get relief from writing my current situation. It's long but to
    really express myself I cant leave anything out...so...long story short does not apply.

I was dx with ms 10 years ago with a spinal tap and mri both positive for ms. I have done resonably well though and have
    been fortuate to have only a few episodes a year that render me weak,confused,trembling,in pain and stumbling. I go into the
    hospital for iv steroids and pain meds. It clears up in a few days to a few weeks each time. I do battle depression at
    these times but otherwise do well. I have a large and very close family including a wonderful husband, many grown
    childern, lots of grandkids, a teddy bear of a big brother and a very active healthy mother that I am the ring leader of.
    That is to say, they look to me for advice, problem solving, planning events and well just about everything. I take on
    the role gladly and get a since of accomplishment in being able to provide them with those things. They do not take it
    for granted and always say" thanks for the best christmas ever" or " what would we do without you". When I'm having
    an episode they step up and offer any possible help and comfort. Again I say I have been very lucky and thats the good
    part of the story.

58 days ago things changed drastically. I have always felt I could handle anything with strength and determination but am
    not so sure now. My strong, stubborn loving mother had been feeling bad for a few weeks but refused to go to the dr
    till after the holidays because she only wanted to see her own dr. So, instead of arguing I said ok but make it soon.
    She called wednesday for a thursday appointment that I said I would drive her to because of her feeling weak. I was
    at her house that evening and said I'll pick you up tomorrow morning at 9. The next morning when I got there I knew
    something was wrong the moment I walked in. She was sitting in the same spot that I had left her the night before.
    I went over to her and said "momma why are'nt you dressed" she just looked at me and smiled. I never thought a smile
    could be bad. It was horrible. Vacant and childlike. Then I smelled urine on her. I called 911. After a short time
    and tests at a local hospital they came in and said they had arranged transport to a larger specialty hospital. They said
    "I'm sorry but she has a massive brain tumor". The look of fear and saddness on my sweet mothers face when they said
    that was the worst thing I had ever seen or had to deal with. I found out in the last 2 months that was not the worst.

During our 15 days in the larger hospital she was put in nuero icu while getting a dx and figuring out what to do.
    It was malignant and to large for surgery. Her brain was swelling and even though there may be hope with radiation
    and chemo, she cant be moved in her condition. I held her and tried to soothe her but she would just cry and cry
    and say " where is Tina? I cant find my Tina" I would say, momma Its me...I'm right here. Again...I thought that was
    worst...nope.
    So, she improved enough to be moved to a regular room while finding the right oncologist and cancer
    center. The nurse came in and helped me get her up to a bedside toilet. The nurse went out since I was with her.
    Mother started to lean to the side so got in front of her to talk to her and help her straighten up. Then she started
    shaking, spitting, making horrible growling like sounds and her face was distorted. I just held her and started yelling
    " I need help!". They came running immediatly thank God. Three came in but yelled for more and rushed me into the hall.
    My husband was sitting in the waiting room and heard the commotion and came running and saw me there crying and said
    whats going on? I said I dont know but I think a siezure. Then I hear code blue..code blue..room 216. A million people
    and equiptment come running. I just stood there crying, praying and trying to breath. After what felt like an hour
    but was actually about 4 minutes a nurse ran out to me and said " we have a pulse". I thanked god for his mercy and then
    thought OMG those minutes of waiting was the worst thing ever. nope

I hated having to call my sweet big bro Mark and tell him what happened. He loves her as much as me and had come to stay
    with me in an extended stay hotel for support. Mark is a diabetic and suffured an injury helping my daughter with a shed
    a year ago. The shed collapsed on him breaking his foot,ankle and leg so badly that multiple surgeries didnt work. It got
    infected and resulted in him having his leg amputated. That too was not healing so I did daily cleansing and bandage
    changes. He is self suffecient and drives etc.. but needs help with the bandage. We got thru this together. Many tears
    but holding it together for mother. In addition to the health and emotional issues the hospital said medicare would
    pay for radiation or a nursing center but not both( each are 5-10 thousand). They pretty much said..if she dosent get
    radiation she will die and if you try to take care of her at home she will die so....Good luck with that

As soon as the dr.s were able to get the siezures under control and get radiation set up we moved mother to a nursing
    facility in our home town. We cant take care of her at home because of the siezure risk(we live very rural,ambulance
    takes 40 min to get there)and her other health needs. Fortunetly we know the owners,care takers( my daughter is a
    nurse there) of the center and are comfortable with it. We had the oncologist set up and the cancer center. What I
    hate is the treatments are everyday and the center is 45 minutes a day. I know it will be hard on her. The dr.s told
    us that siezures are the risk and we have to keep her calm and relaxed as much as possible. So, I stayed with her every
    day since that first day I found her. I go home at night and am trying to keep it as normal as possible for my 13 year
    old grandson that I got custody of 3 months prior to all this. That was 48 days ago.

The first radiation treatment was set up for tuesday. We all talked about it and between me,my daughters and my brother
    we would take turns riding with her. I still changed Marks bandages most days but with staying with mother and trying
    to maintain a good home his daughter Carolyn started helping me with it on some days. I was getting worn out and
    frankly didnt know how much longer I could hold up physically or mentally. Some days mother would be ok then the next
    be crying and confused.

That saturday night I got a call from Carolyn saying she was worried because she was supposed to change Marks bandage
    and told him she would be there at 6. I was already at home 35 minutes away. She said he dosent answer the door and
    when she calls he dosent answer. I asked her where she was and she said out side his house and the door was locked.
    She said she can here his phone ringing inside his apartment. I knew that was just not right. He always answers the
    phone especially now with mother being so ill. I told her to call 911. I had spoken to my daughter(the nurse) moments
    before and knew she was 2 blocks away so I called her and told her to go there NOW. Her and her husband beat the ambulance
    there. I was on the phone with her and she said I'm going around back to his room to knock on his bedroom window. The next
    thing she says is...OMG momma...I can see him. She was crying when she said it and I felt all the blood drain from my
    body. I heard glass breaking and knew they had gotten in along with his daughter Carolyn and his son William who came
    as well because he was worried. I kept saying is he alive...is he alive. I could tell she walked out of the chaos before
    she spoke the next time. I'm sorry momma...I'm so sorry

My brother Mark passed away in his sleep from conjested heart failure 24 days ago. My heart is broken and my mind
    shattered. His children are as broken as me and dont know what to do. They said aunt Tina they want to know where
    to take him? My mind was blank. I have never been asked or even considered such a thing. So, the next few days were
    spent figuring it out in a daze. Cemetary plot? services? phone calls? and then I actually had to face the worst thing
    ever and that is telling my sweet mother that her only son had died.

Marks funeral was planned for wednesday. Mothers first radiation was scheduled for tuesday. We postponed till thursday.
    I called her dr and got a sedative ready before I told her to ward of a siezure caused by stress. I planned the viewing,
    funeral and burial but knew mother could not physically do the viewing or burial but had to go to the funeral. The nursing
    staff was wonderful and helped me so much. They knew I was hurting and needed help. They sent 2 nurses with me to the
    funeral and helped me unload the wheelchair. The funeral home let me wheel mother in alone before the funeral to see Mark
    before the services. That was so hard. Mother can barely speak but can cry. Mostly she would just shake her head in
    disbelief and cry. When they presented her with the folded flag she would just smoothe it with her hands then rub it on
    cheek. The staff took her back after the services and allowed me to go to the burial and say my final goodbyes which
    I appreciate so much. I came back to stay with her later and she didnt speak but would look at me with saddness and kept
    grabbing my black skirt and shaking it. I know her well enough to know what she was thinking. I changed and dont wear
    black around her.

Its been back and forth since. She has radiation daily. Her condition seems to be worsening but it could just be brain
    swelling due to radiation. She begs to come home but is still not well enough. The high amount of steroids and other
    meds in combination with brain swelling and tumor have left her angry, miserable and not a shadow of herself. It kills
    me to see her this way and I cry all the way home.

Thru all of this I have held on by a thread but a week ago I had an episode and am struggling both physically and
    emotionaly. They are doing a mri today to determine whether the radiation is working and we continue treatments to
    try and live. If its not working the dr says its just torturing her and we should stop and bring her home to die. I am
    at a loss. I usually handle episodes well and even while hurting can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I see no light.
    I want to be alone and snap at family. I dont even want to hear them speak. I just want the facts so that I can try to
    deal with whatever it is. Mothers bills are due...ok...just give them to me and go away. The funeral home wants its money
    ..ok...give them a portion and go away...etc.

So, in conclusion. I realize this is so long that few if any will read it. However writing it is maybe what I needed.

thank you for listening
    Tina

Dear Tina - Your story is so heartbreaking that words fail me. I am so sorry that you are going through all this. The grief of losing your brother and the stress of worrying about your mother's condition sounds almost too much to bear!

You mention "episodes" in your post - As you probably know, stress can sometimes trigger a flare, so as much as you can possibly muster, try to remain calm amid all this turmoil.

Here is a link for finding a grief support system in your area. I encourage you to seek help in this regard - when and if you feel the need! You don't have to suffer alone.

http://www.griefshare.org/findagroup

Here is another link - http://www.griefnet.org/

Just want to send you a huge ((HUG)) and offer my condolences and prayers to you and your family
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Oh my goodness Tinac. I don't know how you are getting through all of this! I do understand why you are getting a flare though! I also understand the feeling of wanting to be alone during a flare.

Oh boy, you have so much on you. It sounds like you have some adult children, and perhaps some adult nieces. Perhaps they can help you through some of this. I know you feel responsible for your mom, but you need some help. Hopefully her MRI will show some progress, I pray.

Your story is so sad. I just want to reach out and hug you. Please let your physicians know what all you are dealing with. You may need more medications.

Take care and please let us know how things go, OK?

Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

thank you

I think I just needed to say it out loud(or write it) and be heard. I was questioning getting professional help but right now am feeling so bad and weak that just showering and dressing is to much. Maybe in a day or two I can get to it. I have all kinds of guilt as well..like sending my daughter in to find her uncle Mark like that. If I had known it had been a few hours I would have said to wait for 911, but she was yelling..I see him momma...he's not moving etc..and I panicked. I was thinking cpr or something...anything...I wasn't there to assess it, I just wanted someone in there and didn't think it through. I also cant help but feel if I had still been the one changing his bandages maybe I would have noticed something wrong. Anyway, thank you again for the kind words and prayers. I don't take them lightly.
        Tina

Comment

I am so sorry. Please write any time and know that we are sending good thoughts your way.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

That's where I am lucky. My daughters have been wonderful. I have been in bed the last 3 days and they have taken great care of mother. I just hate not being there for her. In the 58 days since it began I've been with her every single day so its just strange. However I know I will be no good to her in this condition. I am on steroids and pain meds for the flare up but wish I had gotten something to stop the inside shaky thing, whatever that is. Sometimes I think that's worse that the pain. It makes me want to quote silence of the lambs..." I cant make the lambs stop screaming"
            thanks for the support
            tina

Comment

smile for you

am so sorry for all youve been throughin2010 i lost 2brothers and a sister then my mum i am always a glass 1/2 full person but i lost my glass for a long time i hope you find and start filling yours again soon

Comment

first let me say I am so sorry for everything going on right now for you. Next I would like to welcome you to MS world! I would also lean towards the grief counseling very heavily ( it helps so much, trust me).

I know that your brother was doing a lot to help, can anybody else relieve some of the duties that you are handling? You have to sell much on your plate right now that it is a wonder that you can even keep your focus ( I know I would not be able to).
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hello and Welcome tinac,

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all of this, it's heart wrenching! I'm at a loss for words.

When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

so glad you told us

tina, i am so sorry for the reason you found MSW, but very grateful that you did.
                    my heart is breaking just reading what all you've been and are going through.
                    bless your !

you are definitely much stronger than you give yourself credit.
                    thank God for your wonderful family.

i'm glad that you are resting in bed and taking care of you. steroids will make a saint cranky and snappy. rest and hydrate as much as you can. i'm sure soft, quiet music that you like would also help calm your nerves.
                    i wish i had a solution to the inside shakys. i get those too and they drive me crazy!!!
                    they are hard to explain and who really believes them except those who've had them? the only thing i've found that helps is just what you're doing resting, sleeping, relaxing.

please don't beat yourself up about sending in your daughter! it was a very logical decision since she was closer and aRN. finding her uncle that way is NOT YOUR FAULT. who would have dreamed that had happened to him?
                    i'm glad you are blessed with a close family. i know my girls call often with their problems (both adults, one married & a mom) and as their mom i'm sure how they tell or i hear them makes it seem like i'm the only one that can help them.
                    but as valuable as we are, they have to learn to do some on their own and they're usually quite more capable than we expect.

try not to worry , i know, easy to say, almost impossible to do.
                    i'll be praying for you and your family. keep taking care of yourself so they won't have to worry about you too.
                    hang in there.
                    keep us posted, we care

take care and may God bless all of you and hold you close!
                    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I read every word, truly heart-breaking. So sorry you're going through all this. My condolences on the loss of your dear brother.
                      Jen
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I am so sorry! When it seems like you can't handle it, take a deep breath, pull up the big girl panties and know that someone is always here to listen. You do not have to be strong for us.
                        We are here for you.

Comment

Tina,
                          I am soooo sorry for the loss of your brother and everything else going on right now.
                          You seem like a very strong person and you will get through this tough time.
                          Know you are not alone and my thoughts an prayers go out to you and all your family
                          Take care
                          LeAnn

Comment

Oh sweetie

I have no doubt that your family understands what you need. Anger is a very real part of grieving.

I also know that we can withstand more than we think we can. I think the denial and anger protect us and let us get through the worst time when final arrangements are being made.
                            CIS DX 2013

Comment

My God, Tina,
                              No words could possibly express the sadness I felt while reading your post (since it was long, I was going to ignore it, but after I started, I could not stop).

You poor dear!!!

I paused and sent up a prayer, asking God to give you comfort and mercy and strength.

Tina, I do not know how you "have hung in there" with things. My condolences on your brother, and sorrow for your mothers problems. You are an amazingly strong woman. Give yourself some time. "Schedule" it IN and give yourself time. Everyone needs you,but YOU need you.

Come back here to "blow off steam/vent".

God (or whatever you believe in) be with you, kind woman.
                              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                              X