New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here

Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm from the US. I just got an MS diagnosis last week from my family doctor based on an MRI and am seeing my new neuro, family in tow, next week. At first, I was pretty ok with the diagnosis, even though it was reported to me rather rudely (all I got was "I'm right, you do have MS. A neuro will call you."). I thought that, hey, it could be MS, it could be something else, but I'm ok right now. I frankly only went to the family doctor in the first place because I was having trouble with a foot while running. I thought, hey, I can run, no big deal, worst case, I'll get some meds.

So today I finally got the results back from the MRI and I think it's really hit me. Seeing the descriptions of the lesions on my brain...it's so hard, even if I'm not having a lot of problems. I'm a professor - my brain is my livelihood. To know it's degrading, it's so hard. The file for the MRI was tagged "normal" too. The reading - not so much.

So, right now, I'm lucky. The issues affecting me are simply a bit of weakness that doesn't affect my day to day life. No pain, one spell of vertigo that was attributed to inner ear (I guess it could have been otherwise). I've had one "spell" over a year ago that involved a weak leg and that basically went away on its own. I should be happy, right? I frankly don't know how to feel, though. I go from happy to sobbing to happy to feeling like I've got to work out all the time to take advantage of my body. I was getting back into running because I wanted to lose weight before trying to get pregnant. Now, will I be able to accomplish that goal? Who knows?

A lot of emotions here, I guess you can tell. Going from "why me?" to "how do I break this to my family?" to a hundred different things. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought that I'm ok today, and the thought that, by the time I'm in my 50s (I am early 30s now), they'll surely have cured MS. Here's to hoping, and here's to keeping on keeping on, I guess.

Hi Sarah, welcome to this site. Getting diagnosed is hard, it's a game changer. Give your self some time to come to terms with this, try not to look out in the indefinite future. Right now things are ok and concentrate on that. Maybe think of some questions you want to discuss with your neurologist. But try to relax for the time being it will be the thing for your health. Come back often with questions or for support. Take care Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Hi Sarah and welcome. It's normal to feel the way you do, it's overwhelming especially at the beginning. I hope you feel a bit better (emotionally) after you see your neuro.
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you both! I don't know anyone in my everyday life with MS (that I know of - I guess I may). It helps to get support from people who know what I am experiencing right now.

Comment

Hello and Welcome abeautifullife!
          When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
          X