initially cognitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

initially cognitive

1992 dx. Primarily cognitive deficits for 15 years. Now physical symptoms appearing and not going away. Activity and or stress cause stiffness, numbness, unsteady vision, double vision. Surfed, mtbiked, swam, but having trouble walking for longer than twenty minutes...I know I'm lucky to still have mobility.

Enjoy preparing all my own meals...favorite activities: proper diet, walking, linux, and doing easy things to maintain health. Life is much simpler now.

Welcome!

MS is not a fun club to be a member of, but at least we have a wonderful website with supportive, friendly folks!

sounds like you can teach a lot of us a few things.

i'm grateful that i did a lot of physical things when younger & ignorant of MS. hiking, running, long bike rides, camping, etc.
    at least i can remember the sensations and how fun it was.

but there are definitely times just being mobile with a cane doesn't comfort me when i watch my DH jog out the door for a long run that i won't be joining him on.

but, like you, i am grateful to be upright mobile (most of time) and try my best not to take a single day forgranted!

i truly am beginning to enjoy a simpler life.

glad you're here! check out our "Exerciser's Group' in the
    Wellness Forum under Basic Health.
    just a great group trying to encourage each other to stay active as long as we possibly can!

take care & God bless ya!
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Hello and Welcome Jonarm,

I'm always happy to see people being physically limited, yet grateful for they're mobility.

I haven't walked in 2 years and I sure miss it. Although in Limboland, I'm hoping to be able to walk again. I also enjoyed cooking and gardening.

The rest of the MS symptoms are no fun either. I keep referring to everybody here as my MS ANGELS. It takes strength and courage to deal with MS, yet you'll find everyone here caring and encouraging others. People share their experiences, difficulties and joys with us.

We're all in this together...and learning to be and to do the best we can do. We all become better people for it.

Welcome to the bunch!
      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

I'm going to my first neuro appointment Thursday and I've been having a ton of cognitive symptoms myself. Would you mind sharing what sorts of cognitive symptoms you've dealt with and how you manage to cope with them. I'm a college student (about to graduate with a B.A. in Psychology) and I have hopes to pursue a Ph.D. in psychology as well, but I'm afraid of these cognitive issues stopping me, whether or not they turn out to be MS. For example, I'm having to retype about every third word because it comes out wrong. Well, that's more of a coordination issue. But if you read my intro, you can see that I'm a cognitive guy too.

P.S. Welcome!

Comment

aspie dude: cognitive deficits

loss of ability to multitask
          easily distracted
          need to slow down and write everything down...Or its gone!
          simplify topics or they will fall of my table of comprehension

Social situations lead to confusion and frustration if there are too many people around

I know that not only people with ms have these problems. But I also know people with ms have a degenerative brain and nerve condition. My recent mri shows deep tissue involvement in the corpus callosum among numerous other areas of brain and spine. Its not an issue of motor function or dysfunction. There is a dysfunction in the maintenance of the nervous system.

Sorry to RANT but this was my particular misunderstanding about the disease. You are still early dx. Good luck with school, get assistance, note-taking, tutors, electronic devices. If you are having cognitve problems, don't be overwhelmed...ask for help.

Comment

Thanks for sharing... I'm having a lot of similar issues, but my limboland dumb doc is putting the breaks on even considering MS. I'm one unhappy guy with him!

Comment

CaroleL: thanks for the welcome...

synergy...You are right, often people with the greatest adversity turn out to be the strongest and most helpful people.

Comment

poohb3ar: I missed your reply first few times online

thanks for sharing...nice to get a response from kindred spirit.

I spent many years isolated, only talking to docs and the occasional psychologist about MS difficulties. It's a huge relief to post and get responses here.

Comment

aspiedude: docs don't have all the answers yet

I got frustrated with my neuro sending me for sleep test and electro pulse test...like he wasn't hearing me correctly. He assured me we needed to verify, to guarantee proper treatment and to satisfy insurance company. I was lucky to have had enough early symptoms and a positive MRI so that I got a fast diagnosis? Lucky? Yeah, lucky...limbo is no fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X