Muscle Twitching and Fasciculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle Twitching and Fasciculations

I have read all over that muscle twitching is not a sign of MS, but have also read that MSers are more prone to having BFS (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome) and Restless Leg Syndrome (which as far as I know, can involve twitching).

Does anyone experience constant fasciculations that you can see under your skin (like in your arms or legs) and even strong muscle twitches that you can really feel quite strongly?

I have constant twitching in my calves, and regular twitching in many other parts of my body, including arms, stomach (including inside - feels like a baby kicking), breasts, butt, eyelid, lips, toes/feet (bottom of feet), fingers/hands, etc. Just about anywhere I have a muscle, I experience twitching. Have even had twitching inside my ear making a sound like a very distant helicopter.

Whenever you google twitching, ALS always comes up, but I know it is not that. The all-over twitching also always coincides with periods when I am having other sx of MS. When those sx settle, the twitching settles. However, my calves have never stopped with the minor fasciculations.

What's your experience, if any?
    20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

I believe fascilations are a very common symptom for PWMS. Although, it can also occur for many other reasons as well.

Personally, I get them quite often in various parts of my body, including my face and tongue. They are rarely painful to me and USUALLY subside when I voluntarily move whatever muscle it is that is twitching. For me it tends to happen more when I'm really fatigued, or when my muscles are feeling fatigued.

Hope you get some definitive answers soon HB1!
    , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

I get them all the time

My symptoms are just like yours. I can't understand why it's not considered an MS symptom (my neuro told me its not)

Comment

What is PWMS??

The only reason I ask, is that ALL of my other relapsing-remitting sx are very common to MS, plus the twitching.

I saw a neurologist respond to a post on the internet about twitching and MS, and he categorically stated twitching is not related to MS, because MS is a condition of the CNS, and muscle twitching is a condition of the Peripheral Nervous System.

Am I crazy, or is the PNS not a part of / extension of the CNS? He then went on to say that all of his MS patients also complain of a variety and multitude of sensory sx that are related and common to MS, which he acknowledges is related to the PNS. So, I think he's crazy, since he contradicts himself.

They also used to say that MS did not cause pain, and we all know what a load of crock that is! Sometimes docs need to open their minds. I think twitching is possibly another type of sensory sx which can be associated with MS. They check Evoked Potentials as part of the diagnostic process of MS, and Sensory Evoked Potentials which is testing the peripheral nerves. So, if your peripheral nerves are not conducting properly as a result of messed up signals from the CNS, this could theoretically cause twitching, just as it causes weakness, and sensory sx.

Any thoughts?

Comment

PWMS stands for People with MS.

Fasciculations are not common in MS. They are more common in ALS and disorders of the peripheral nervous system. The CNS and PNS are totally different. Have you had any EMGs done? That may explain your fasciculations. When we have them in our tongue or face, it is in direct correlation to a lesion in the brainstem, but is still considered PNS. However, this does not extend to the lower legs.

I hope you get some answers for your problems. Ask your doc for some EMGs.

Good luck
          Lisa
          Moderation Team
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Hellsbells,

Make sure you have enough potassium, sodium and calcium. In other words...eat well. Amping up your nutrition is something that can be dealt with easily and immediately.

I'm not discounting your problem. Just don't (and I have done this, as well as others) "brush it off" as M.S.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

What I should have is muscle twitching seems common in PWMS to me because I've heard many people complain about it, rather than saying it is common in PWMS.
              , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

Twitching vs. spasms

Sorry for the stupid question, but: what is the difference between spasms and twitching.

Thanks

Comment

This may not be helpful at all, but I had significant eye twitching when my B12 levels were too low.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy75 View Post
                    Sorry for the stupid question, but: what is the difference between spasms and twitching.

Thanks
                    I think, not 100% sure though, that a twitch is a very temporary and repetitive spasm, whereas a spasm can stay in a contracted state (like a cramp). I know cramping is very common in MSers.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
                      Hellsbells,

Make sure you have enough potassium, sodium and calcium. In other words...eat well. Amping up your nutrition is something that can be dealt with easily and immediately.

I'm not discounting your problem. Just don't (and I have done this, as well as others) "brush it off" as M.S.
                      Hi fishead;
                      I watch my potassium and magnesium levels quite carefully for the past several years. The main reason why I associate the twitching with MS is that my last two flares started with 2-3 weeks of eye-twitching, followed by my other sx (myoclonic jerking, double-vision, severe cramping and spasticity, balance issues, severe sensory issues - mostly electric shocks, and the start of the twitching all over my body.)

When the flare seems to run its course and things "mostly, but not completely" go back to normal, the twitching also settles down significantly - except in my calves.

Comment

Hi there, I am new to this group, but hot to MS. I have had fascinations for yrs. In my legs which has caused atrophy. I get the sometime in an arms. I get them in the belly. The EMG did pick the up once they asked me if I was having trouble in any certain spot. Told them where it was happening and low and behold they saw it. however, there were no spikes with it. I hate them, but they have stopped a lot in the legs and I also do not have near the pain and spasms there either. I am a mess. Too many weeks of this. ugg. Just food for thought.

My hubby has FTDbv with MND variant. Which means ALS. They are so deep he soes not feel them. But he is starting to have terrible cramping. He goes to Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I have an eyelid twitch that started last April, and I still have it. I also get other twitches, and I feel certain it is related to MS. I get some larger muscle jumps sometimes, like a thigh muscle, but mostly little twitches. My lip twitches regularly too, and my fingers as well. They eyelid is daily for almost a year now. The others are intermittent.
                          I do think its MS related.....

Comment

I'm sorry you have MS and your DH has ALS.

The reason I know for sure it is not ALS, even though that is the most common thing that comes up for constant twitching is that I do not have muscle wasting, and I have been having relapsing/remitting sx for over 20 years. This extended period of time is definitely not ALS. The twitching actually only started about 3-4 years ago, but still a very long time to have this as the only ALS sx without weakness and wasting.

I suppose it could by something like Fibromyalgia, but that would not explain the balance or double-vision.

I did find that Neuritis is a general term for inflamation of a nerve and this is what is said on Wikopedia about Neuritis *under their main Peripheral Neuropathy page:

"Neuritis is a general term for inflammation of a nerve[6] or the general inflammation of the peripheral nervous system. Symptoms depend on the nerves involved, but may include pain, paresthesia (pins & needles), paresis (weakness), hypoesthesia (numbness), anesthesia, paralysis, wasting, and disappearance of the reflexes. Causes include:
                            ...Underlying conditions causing polyneuritis (affecting multiple nerves):
                            ...Autoimmune disease, especially Multiple Sclerosis
                            ..."

It seems REALLY strange to me that a neurologist would say that the twitching is not a part of MS - with the explanation being that twitching is related to the PNS - when OBVIOUSLY, PWMS experience MANY sx related to the PNS. Why not twitching? Nobody can deny that PWMS commonly/frequently experience Neuritis.

Additionally, if the immune system can attack the myelin sheath surrounding nerves of the CNS, what stops it from attacking the myelin sheath surrounding peripheral nerves. Every nerve in our body is coated by myelin.

I would be so interested to see if any MS studies/research include the MRI imaging of the PNS during active flares with contrast to see if any of the peripheral nerves are being attacked. ...That being said, I'm off to do some more research.

Comment

I just started having RLS symptoms in the last two weeks, along with multiple other MS symptoms. I just made a long whiny post and forgot to include the RLS in my post. It is awful to not be able to sleep, when you know that good rest is so important to your health.

My PCP has me taking Vit C and slow-release iron to help with the RLS.

Comment

Working...
                              X