Here we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go!

Another first timer here. Diagnosed the week before Christmas 2012 what a present! I had the tingling in my right foot, tingling down my spine, and weakness and numbness in my left leg for at least 4 to 5 months. The only constant symptom was the left leg. We thought it was a back problem and was treating it with the chiropractor and even with a cortisone shot but nothing seemed to help. I work in asphalt construction as a working foreman and I managed to work until the week of Thanksgiving and that's when I experienced some dizziness and being light headed. Went to the doc and they told me to go home thinking it was a virus. Returned in a week with a different doctor and after a handful of test I was told to see a neurologist. The neuro was great and very comforting the first visit he had mri's and blood work done and the second included a spinal tap and a confirmation of ms.
    I'm 38 years old, married and have a 6 year old daughter and a 4 year old son. The hardest part is not knowing how ms will effect my family financially. As of now there is no way I could return to work, legs have no endurance and fatigue after limited physical activity. I've been on Rebif for two weeks and haven't had any side effects which is great but I can't help to think about the future and my family. I feel that I am blessed to be able to walk and I have come to terms with having ms but it is scary as you all know!
    The last two weeks my legs seem to either be good or bad, I was hoping it would just settle down but maybe time will tell.
    I was also told by a rehabilitation counselor from the state that I should apply for ssdi being that I couldn't perform my duties in the construction field anymore. I've worked heavy duty construction or have driven truck for the last 20 years. Any advice or past experiences would be welcome.
    I shouldn't forget to say my wife has been great throughout this ordeal and I don't think I could get through it without her. My daughter gives me hugs and kisses whenever she thinks I am down and that is the most amazing gift I could ask for!

Hello and Welcome Chad!

Sorry about your MS diagnosis, but I'm glad to see you on this forum. You'll find tons of info and help.

You were lucky to get a diagnosis so fast. Once you learn more about MS, it won't be so scary.

I haven't walked for a few years and doc told me it was MS, although I need confirmation from Neurologist. I'm not nearly as scared as I was a few weeks ago. The people here have been amazing.

I understand your worry about the future, but you have a lot to deal with right now. One day at a time is how I'm dealing with it.

I'm in Canada so I can't help you in regards to agencies but I would contact the MS Society in your area. I'm sure they could guide you.

Others here will have suggestions for you too.

It sounds like you have a wonderful supportive family. I have a 6year old granddaughter, she's my sunshine. I also have a wonderful hubby, 2 daughters, and 3 grandchildren. Their support is helping pull through this.

I'm sure you'll find comfort, caring, and knowledge here.

Take care!
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi Chad

Welcome and glad you found us...I'm sorry I don't have answers for you but hopefully someone will. I was fortunate to be a State employee and was able to retire with benefits.

Is there Voc Rehab where you live? That is a very good agency to provide training if necessary for different kind of work.

Your family sounds wonderful..Take care
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Welcome Chad

Hi my name is Dale and also wanted to welcome you to the site. Being newly diagnosed there a lot of to process. I completely understand worrying about the future. I do it too and been around awhile. Right now try to live in the moment and you may want look at SSA.gov web site just for general information. Take care Dale
        Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

The best advice I have is to just take one day at a time and listen to the docs.

You will find solutions to the financial burden and one of your motivations will be your two wonderful children. Yes the world may have changed but you are still you and you shall re-invent yourself and your life.

Best Wishes and look ahead positively!

Comment

Working...
          X