Fairly new with MS very new at chat room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairly new with MS very new at chat room

Hi! My name is Keith J. I live in Hanover Pa and am seeking friends who also may have MS. I was recently married to a wonderful woman who without her support, I don't know where I would be. So far the MS is effecting balance, gait, tingling in hands and feet and most severely, cognitive skills. I go to bed in pain and wake up in pain. No matter how much or how little I sleep, I am absolutely exhausted. I just cannot remember anything anymore and left my job two weeks ago yesterday. I don't think I will ever be able to return to the career I had (Sales & Banquets-Manager) Just don't have the energy or the concentration..... Starting next week I have my first appointments for Therapy--PT, OT, and Speech Therapy....Would really like to make some friends with MS to give support and get some support. I have never been so scared in my whole life.....Finally have a wonderful wife, 2 teenagers, 2 Shis tzu's and one 17 year old corgi I have to put down on Monday. Hope to hear from someone!

Hi Keith! My name is Lisa. I have had MS for almost 10 years. I have some of the problems you describe. I go to PT, Speech and OT. These are all good for you. PT will evaluate you to see if you need an assist device like a cane or walker depending on how bad your gait is. I recently got a scooter. Speech helps you if you have trouble swallowing, or talking, or problems with cognition. OT helps with spasticity problems as well as weighted utensils and writing aids. Look around, ask questions wherever you want, answer questions, make yourself at home.

What meds are you on? DMDs?

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

hi keith

I probably won't be much help to you since I am still in the dx stage, but I do share your frustration. I do really like site b/c I have learned so much from what other people have posts...everyone seems so willing to help.

Glad to hear you have a supportive wife/family, because we all need help sometimes. I have recently had to chg jobs b/c I just couldn't work long days anymore. Everyone is asking why would you give up such a good job...they don't understand that I just don't have the energy to do that job anymore.

Have you thought about finding an other job that wouldn't be so demanding on you?

Comment

Hello and Welcome kajkeif,

I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time. I really feel for you! You'll find tons of friends and support here. Also all the information you need to eliminate the fear. The more you learn and understand, the less you'll be scared.

I got up one morning and was making coffee, then all of a sudden I couldn't walk and the pain was excrutiating. I lived with this pain for two years. No amount of morphine, dilaudid, oxycocet could relieve the pain.

Just a few weeks ago I was prescribed Lyrica, it is for pain that is neurological. I still have pain but it is manageable. Please know that there are treatments for your symptoms and you won't always be suffering so much.

I'm glad you have appointments scheduled already and that you have someone supportive in your life. My hubby is also very supportive, he's my number one angel.

Cheer up! You'll get through this, and were all here to help!
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi Keith, I'm Dale. Glad you are here reaching out. Connecting with people who understand what your going through makes this journey a little easier. Please come here to ask and answer questions, Take care Dale
          Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Hi and welcome Keith! Hope you find the support and compassion that you need right now, it is terrifying, especially at the beginning. Family support is paramount but sometimes the support of those who can relate to exactly what we're going through is what's best. This site has eased my mind more times than I can count.
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

WELCOME KEITH!!!

Well I am living proof that Canadians also get MS.

Fret not. I understand the discomfort and frustration that comes with the onset of MS.

Some symptoms will pass, others will abet with meds so hang in there as things will get better.

BTW, want some snow?

Comment

Working...
              X