Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Story

Hello All!

I am a 26 year old female from the USA and am now living in Europe. I was first diagnosed with MS on a sunny April day in 2010. The reason I remember it so clearly is because I was out with bike in a local park as my vision started to become cloudy. I chalked it up to allergies... Until a couple of hours later, when I couldn't see words on a paper, I realized something was wrong.

As it turned out, I had optic neuritis and was immediately put on steroids, had several MRIs, blood tests, and a spinal tap. I was in the hospital for 5 days and was completely blind in my left eye for a good 6 weeks.

Sometimes I wonder if the lesions on my brain are in areas that control emotions and behavior because I feel like my psyche has been slowly going downhill since my diagnosis.

I forget also that I have MS, except for my daily injections of Copaxone and as I said before, the lingering thoughts that I may slowly be deteriorating.

When I was diagnosed, I had absolutely no one with me. Since my diagnosis, friends have come and gone. I am lucky to have a very supportive boyfriend though. He truly is a saint for all that he puts up with from me.

I know that MS doesn't mean the end of the world, but sometimes I feel like it might end up being so. I wish I could be more positive. I used to be.

I'm looking forward to exploring the forums and chats. Hopefully I can bounce back to my old self sooner than later! =)
    Diagnosed 4/10; Copaxone 10/10 - 8/13
    You win some and you lose some, but that is how you learn. -ALB

Hi and welcome, though I'm sorry you have to be here.

I was in my 20's and living in Europe at the time of my DX too. Not the best thing to have in common, but it's a start

Hope you're back to yourself agan soon!
    Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

LancZen: Welcome! Glad you found the boards! Sounds like you have a lot to offer too. I have had many episodes of ON in both eyes. NO FUN!

Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Hello and Welcome LancZen!
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi LancZen and welcome to the site. Dale
          Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

LancZen, this is the place to be to help you bounce back. Everybody here is dealing with the same issues and therefore are understanding and caring. We can cheer each other up.

As for myself, demystifying MS makes me feel better and a little more in control. I least I know a bit more about the MonSter I'm dealing with.

I've always tried to find humor whenever I could, and about any given situation. Sometimes I have to look a little harder to find it, but somehow I find a way. That is what keeps me going.

I think it's crucial to be emotionally well, and we all have our triggers that get us there.

One day at a time!
            When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi LankZen and welcome. Hope you find the encouragement and the support that you need here.
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
              X