Hi everyone, another newbie here!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, another newbie here!!!

I tend to be a little on long winded, but I will try to control myself, and only share a few pertinant details. I find myself keyboard challenged of late anyway so you all are catching a break...

My name is Greg, and for my 47th birthday last May I was given a diagnosis...

It was a long story getting there, so I will just say that in Dec of 2010 I suffered a major case of optic neuritis and they suspected then that I might have MS, but my neurologist was kind of a boob. It was confirmed last April when I became numb on my left side, and I saw a different and much better Dr. He did an MRI, and started me on Rebif right away.

Six months on Rebif, and in Nov I had another relapse. The recent MRI showed enough new plaques that the Dr felt the Rebif wasn't working. He didn't want to pursue a med change without consulting another Dr that specialized solely in MS. After I saw him yesterday, I was told to not bother taking the dose of Rebif I had waiting at home. (I hadn't ordered another batch yet and it was the last one in the box) They took about 8 vials of blood, and unless something is wrong, I think I will be going on Tysabri within a couple of months. The Dr seems to think that since the Rebif wasn't effective, the Tysabri might be the best choice, until there is a little more history behind the oral meds...

So that's my story... I'm an active outdoorsy kind of guy, and I work in a technical job in a power plant. (think boilers, turbines, and heat) I figure knowledge is power so I'm hoping I might get some useful info by hanging out here with people who have more experience with this crap then I have...

Hello and Welcome Greg!
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi Greg, glad you here but sorry about the diagnosis. I had the same problem With the interferons, kept having relapses and progression. I've been on Tysabri for six years and have stabalized. Let us know how you are doing. Take care Dale
      Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld, Greg! Glad you found us and hope we can help. I was dx on my 50th birthday, and like you, not the welcome present I expected! It's great though that you're working and being outdoors as much as possible.

I love the outdoors as well

Keep well and come back to visit~ always feel free to ask questions and make comments. We welcome them!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hey Greg.
          I'm another Tech except I used to push 'trons instead of heat.

Sorry that things didn't work out in phase one. Give the docs a chance and they should be able to find something that works.

I also have eye issues. Thankfully no pain but one eye just kinda stopped working one night. I'd like to get it back but to be truthful, I've learned to adapt around it. That's kinda the drill with MS, learn how to adapt.

I'm just taking a guess, but in case you're "prior service" we also have a VA/Vets forum.

Comment

I am glad they are considering Tysabri. I failed the interferons and Copaxone. I have been on Ty for 8 months and I love it. I tested JCV negative so I felt comfortable with it.

Good luck with your choice, Ty hardly has any side effects.

Take care
            Lisa
            Moderation Team
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

ggnutsc,

Glad you "found us". SORRY you have MS, but glad you found us here.
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Hi Greg and fellow newbie

Feel free to share as much as you want about what you are going thru...I know it has helped me by reading what other people have shared.

Are your friends / family supportive?? I am still in the 'trying to get a dx' stage. I try to hide my symptoms because 1. its bad for business...people don't want to work with a 'sick' person' and 2. people just think you can go to the dr and 'get fixed'...lol

You seem funny...I think your outlook on life can help you deal with ms.

take care of yourself

Comment

Thanks!!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!
                  I have high hopes for the Ty!!

Sarah asked about my friends and family being supportive. They are. My wife (Lori) and I (high school sweethearts) have been married for over 26 years, and she knows how much the MS bugs me.

She sees my frustration struggling with things I could always do easily before all of this... I'm no cripple, but my right eye vision, and some other symptoms really hinder my ability to do things, like changing oil in the trucks, or fixing things around the house especially here lately.

Our 2 boys (17 & 22) do their best at helping me with things like handling hay for the horses, and fixing vehicles. Unfortunately they are both on the edge of independent lives of their own. We are very proud of them!! One will graduate college this year, and the other will be starting college.

My siblings and mother are all concerned and help when they can, and if I need it.

Besides all of them, Lori and I have some real good friends who are always there when we need them. I generally feel loved, and, in spite of my illness, blessed...

Comment

Greg...congrats on 26 yrs of marriage! Sounds like you and your wife have also done a good jobs raising your boys...you should be proud

ms is so confusing. It can be so frustrating trying to understand everything that is going on. I'm glad I found this site b/c I have learned so much from other people. Sometimes it's good to just be able to talk with people who are going thru the same thing as you.

Comment

Working...
                    X