Need advice. Been back to work 3 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice. Been back to work 3 weeks

I am a nurse working in a hospital in Ireland. I was diagnosed in September last. I have just finished my third week back to work. I'm doing 3x10 hour shifts instead of 3x12 hour shifts(what I used to work). I'm exhuausted after work and it takes me a while to recover the next day. I started getting tingling and sensory issues yesterday after a busy day. But getting there. My manager asked me would I work 2x10 hour days and one 12 hour shift the week after next. I said no because I feel I'm not able for it. I said no twice and when she didn't accept that I said I'd let her know on Monday. She didn't accept that and said if I don't try a long day I won't know how I am and I eventually agreed to do it. I need advice on if I should try the 12 hour shift and risk being exhausted or should I go to her on Monday and explain I can't do it. I have been to occupational health before I went back to work.

I would explain that you don't need to try a 12 hour shift to know if you are capable of doing it, because you are already struggling to work a 10 hour shift. Stand firm, and tell her that you KNOW you are not up to adding yet another 2 hours. I know, for myself, that if I exhaust myself one day, then I am pretty useless the next.

It sounds to me like you are already doing a stellar job trying to keep up.

Good luck.
    20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

You know your body better than anyone else will. Don't let them push you into something that you feel you're not capable of doing. Based on what you've written, it sounds like you're not ready to do a 12 hour shift yet. 10 hour days are long enough as it is, and if a hard one is bringing on symptoms, I'd be scared to do the 12. It sounds like all your manager (as with any in a hospital, it seems) cares about is having a warm body. Don't put your patients or yourself at risk because your manager wants you to work an extra 2 hours.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I'm definately going to talk to her on Monday about it. I think I questioned my judgement because she made me feel I should do the 12 hour shift. If I l don't feel up to doing 12 hour shifts in a couple of weeks I'm going to make an appt with Occ health.

Comment

Lainey, I'm not familiar with employment protection laws in Ireland. Is anything in Ireland similar to FMLA for disabled US employees?

FMLA=Family and Medical Leave Act, allows employees protected unpaid leave for up to 12 weeks annually, for themselves or for certain family members who require medical care. It's federal law, some smaller employers are exempt (under 50 employees?); employees must qualify based on number of hours worked, etc.

I'm curious if there is similar protections in Ireland that you qualify for.

I hope your recovery continues and you feel well again very soon.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
          X