Not sure it's MS?? And confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure it's MS?? And confused

Hi all! Thank you for this forum! I have had menieres type symptoms for two years and am being treated as a menieres patient. The meds they give me don't work so I rarely take them unless I'm desperate and having a very dizzy day. Yesterday I woke up with ataxia. Couldn't (and still can't walk properly), weakness, speech difficulty and problems doing normal things like texting. The neurologist gave me a new diuretic to take for the constant pressure on my ears. Still have the ear pressure but my blood pressure went from 114/74 yesterday to 100/54 today.

I am having an MRI tomorrow morning. I was given as list of symptoms of ms...I have many of them: bladder problems (especially at night before bed), depression, dizziness & vertigo, fatigue, ataxia, short term memory and concentration problems & weakness. I am a ballerina who works out a lot and don't notice numbness or pain except in my hands when I sleep.

Spasticity is not common for me...I sometimes have horrible, horrible foot and leg cramps but chalk that up to dancing and it has been happening since I was a little girl. I don't notice tremors unless I'm hungry and the only time I have tingling is in my scalp sometimes...it's very weird like someone is moving things under my scalp.

Anyway, is it possible to have ms without all the classic symptoms?? Any what about my ear pain and pressure. Does anyone suffer from that? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Many blessings, kimberly

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hello and Welcome,

I'm new to all this but it seems like you do have symptoms of MS.

I also get pain in my ears but its not constant.

I wish you luck in your diagnosis.

Your in the right place here to get information and support. I found that reading the posts, and going through the archives have really helped me understand more.

Best of luck.
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi Kimberly and welcome to the board. As you will read MS is different for everyone. So yes it is possible to have MS without a classic symptom list. This is why it takes awhile to diagnose sometimes. Stick around, ask questions and let us know how you are doing. Take care Dale
      Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

is this a dumb question??

ok, this may be a dumb question....I was referred to neurologist to see if I have ms. My question is, do I really need to have a dx if I am only having minor symptoms??? Seems like most ms treatments are just for your symptoms so I thought I would wait if/when my symptoms became unbearable.

Comment

The only dumb question is the one not asked

The answer is YES! Why you ask if symptoms are minor? Because the medication slows the progression of the disease, not the symptoms. The longer you wait the longer the disease has to do damage. An MRI is painless and a good place to start.

Good luck.
          Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Hello MrsHamilton
            I started out like you. I had to go to ER several times for vertigo and hypertension. Fluid, pressure, and pain in mostly my left ear.Moderate hearing loss in left ear. Also the weird feeling in my head that is hard to explain. And dx with menieres too. At the time I diden't have insurance so I coulden't go to a Ear nose and throat doc. So I just took the meds they prescribed me and left it at that.

Two years later with new symptoms and worsening of old symptoms. I was approved for SSI and Disability after fighting for 7 years. Finally insurance and an appt with a ENT.

The ENT sent me for a MRI just to make sure that I diden't have any tumors etc. I was expecting the results to show no tumors because at my previous visit to ER they had done a CT scan and told me everything was normal. So I was more than a little shocked when the ENT told me I had leasions on my brain. That was back in Sept 2012. Took 4 months of waiting for my appt with Neuro doc. I just had lumbar Puncture this past tuesday. It is a long process that takes patience. Which I have been running low on lately.lol But I am hopefully getting closer to an answer. So just hang in there and please take the meds they gave you. High blood pressure is serious also and needs to be treated. You don't want to have a stroke or heart attack while your waiting for your answers. Good luck and take care. Hope this has helped. And let us know how your doing along your journey.

Comment

Sarah,

Please go for you MRI!!! 4 years ago I had what seemed like a stroke and my left side was partially paralyzed. No signs of stroke were present but the paralysis lasted about 3 months.

I begged my doctor to find out what was going on. I asked him to test me for MS. Well, he never did.

4 years later... I am confined to a wheelchair, but spend most of my time in bed because sitting seems to make we worse and really tires me out. I've been in constant pain for over 2 years.

Never again will I take my granddaughter for a walk. She's always asking me! My two other grandchildren will never know what it's like to have grandma push them on a swing or bring them on a picnic.

I'm only 50 years old. I was looking forward to so many things. My hubby has to cook, clean, etc all on his own. That's on top of looking after me. He helps me to the bathroom, washes me, etc.

Had I been tested back when I asked to,, what would my life be like now?

Would I be walking? Able to pick up my grand kids to hug them? Enjoying "the Autumn of my life". Be pain free??? I miss walking so much.

I spend most of my time looking out the window watching other people live normally!

Please go get your tests done. Whatever happens you won't regret that you didn't know, or weren't treated sooner.

I'm giving you a cyber kick in the butt! Lol!

Love yourself enough to do it now!

Comment

Originally posted by mlissa67 View Post
                The only dumb question is the one not asked

The answer is YES! Why you ask if symptoms are minor? Because the medication slows the progression of the disease, not the symptoms. The longer you wait the longer the disease has to do damage. An MRI is painless and a good place to start.

Good luck.
                Thanks for the advice!! I still have so much to learn...I'm so glad I can come here and get some answers/support

Comment

why do symptoms come and go??

carole.....thanks for the 'cyber kick in the butt'...lol

I've been able to 'hide' my symptoms for awhile until last month. A co-worker made a joke about my hands shaking (he thought they were shaking b/c I was cold)...I just went along with the joke, but now I find myself hiding my hands in public now. That made me realize, that I need to do something now if other people are starting to see my symptoms. In a way, I'm glad other people have seen it b/c then I don't feel like I'm crazy (is my fork really shaking when I eat???)

so here is a question...why do symptoms come and go??? Seems like if you have damage to a nerve / nerve coating then it would be permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraL View Post
                    carole.....thanks for the 'cyber kick in the butt'...lol
                    You're welcome Sara! Anytime! Lmao.

As for your question, I'm not sure either. But I'll be waiting to see what the other posters say.

Comment

Working...
                    X