Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBS

marti,

Sounds like what I went through for past year and a half. My appetite was being affected too. I was dealing with constipation and thought it was a blockage. Hurt in the groin /leg region, more on the left. Anything I did was to no avail. Did a barium MRI on GI system, colonoscopy, went to urologist & OB/Gyn, tested for a Ciliac disease, blood tests, you name it. All was fine.

Then my OB sent me for a lower GI barium with contrast. Low and behold not one side, but bilateral inguinal hernias! The result of straining to have a bowel movement. Learned very quickly to take Mirilax & plenty of H2O.

Had my surgery to fix the problem two weeks ago and feel a lot better, although still on the mend.

Maybe a talk with your doctor as a possibility of hernia(s)?
    Guess it won't hurt to inquire. Hope this information helps.

We go through quite a bit with this ever so present companion we call MS! Wishing you all the best

Comment

Originally posted by webkitty View Post
      marti,

Sounds like what I went through for past year and a half. My appetite was being affected too. I was dealing with constipation and thought it was a blockage. Hurt in the groin /leg region, more on the left. Anything I did was to no avail. Did a barium MRI on GI system, colonoscopy, went to urologist & OB/Gyn, tested for a Ciliac disease, blood tests, you name it. All was fine.

Then my OB sent me for a lower GI barium with contrast. Low and behold not one side, but bilateral inguinal hernias! The result of straining to have a bowel movement. Learned very quickly to take Mirilax & plenty of H2O.

Had my surgery to fix the problem two weeks ago and feel a lot better, although still on the mend.

Maybe a talk with your doctor as a possibility of hernia(s)?
      Guess it won't hurt to inquire. Hope this information helps.

We go through quite a bit with this ever so present companion we call MS! Wishing you all the best

Thanks for the advice. I've been through so many tests too. Five years ago I had a small bowel resection to correct a blockage. Never been the same since then. I'll look into the hernia possibility although I think I've had that test too.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

IBS after Intestinal Surgery

Carole - I do have IBS symptoms, which came on after intestinal surgery/colostomy/reconnection (just like you Marti). I was interested to find what came first, the intestinal problems-IBS symptoms or the MS-intestinal problems-IBS symptom.

All I know is it is a pain because you never quite know when the "dam is going to break". I try to wear depends out in public if I'm starting to feel the bloating and gas buildup so I don't get humiliated. I hate doing that but it beats the alternative. Feeling joyful nonetheless!
        Sue

Comment

I think the real question should be are there any of us that did not have any stomach or bowel problems before the MonSter got us. I had stomach and bowel problems pretty much all my life, now they just call it IBS when they really do not know what it is. At first they thought it was crones then celiac etc. etc. etc. finally they slapped the IBS label on it and sent me home. The people who had it only after the surgeries is interesting because then the surgeries would become the trigger but did the M.S. cause the need for the surgeries in the first place? That is what I think. I agree with "CaroleL "Our body is ONE SYStem, I don't think we can easily separate one thing from another." I was told it was all in my head for many many years so maybe I even had the MonSter when I was a child.
          PEACE

Tortis

Comment

IBD and MS

Not sure this is helpful, but...I have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) not IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). My sister and grandfather have IBS. My Mom, Aunt ( her sister) and Grandmother (her Mom) all have Celiac disease. An interesting constellation of genes, I think.

I believe my MS and IBD are related genetically--some aberrant inflammation gene. (IBD is either Ulcerative Colitis or Chrone's Disease. Mine is UC.) Interestingly, Tysabri is approved to treat Chrone's.

I read on another thread about genetic testing and how some folks with MS learned that they were at increased risk for psoriasis. I thought I would mention that the drug approved this year for MS (Tecfidera) has an active ingredient that has been used in Europe for many years to treat psoriasis.

Would be interesting to know exactly where the connections are.

Someday medicine will figure this out.... ��

Comment

Thank you all for the good information and suggestions. It's bad enough having MS, but the IBS really muddies the waters when it comes to explaining symptoms. I am seeing a surgeon Monday. He happens to also deal with Gastroenterology and is a great guy. If I could just get one more endoscopy I might feel more relieved or assured.

This groin/leg pain is new within the last 9 or 10 months. They found Tendinitis and osteoarthritis in those areas which probably are closer to an explanation than the IBS or MS. But the trapped gas, pain and chest discomfort are more like IBS. Also the constipation and nausea, weight loss and loss of appetite.

Also I just read in a MS publication that about 35% of us MS-ers have anxiety as a major symptom. I have Graves disease, IBS, bulging discs, costochondritis and TN so I suppose anxiety is built in with all these problems.

If anyone finds any more information please keep this thread going.
              Marti

Comment

Another question for this thread.

I think it was Carol who reminded us to keep the pipes clean. I was wondering what you all use besides the Dulcolax. I have been taking Miralax for a couple years now.. every day and wonder if this is wise. Also take Benefiber sometimes and eat the Benefiber brownies.

The fiber works faster, but for some reason my Gastro wants me to limit it. The Miralax can take a few days to kick in. I've noticed that my muscles feel too weak to push and I assume this is the MS.

I have several problems that can cause the constipation so I'm not laying blame anywhere special. IBS seems to be the logical place.

I've lost several pounds in the last 6 months or so. But, that could be the thyroid meds. I am holding steady.

It seems like my intestines cramp or spasm AFTER I have a bowel movement more so than before. I never know when to start taking Librax. And I don't want to take too many meds.

Once again. thanks for letting me bring this up here. You all have given me the best answers of all the places I've tried to find answers.
                Marti

Comment

Laxatives are habit forming

Marti, my mom had IBD among other intestinal disorders and she had a nightmarish experience with treatments. One thing that she did was regularly use laxitives. The laxitives do help and I'm not arguing that you shouldn't ever use them, but it's probably better to use a natural fiber product or find the least problematic laxative. The colon will get lazy, or I should say lazier, if laxitives are commonly used. Fiber products, on the other hand, do seem to me to create more gas and cramping.

It's a tough thing to find an answer to though and docs seem to love tests in finding an answer. Of course they are looking for blockages or disease processes, but once that is eliminated there you are in the same situation.

I'm just saying that you might want to concentrate on diet and adding fiber to the extent you are able.

I do think MS is problematic in this though, particularly when meds that have side effects which usually include constipation.

It is really a tough problem. Just want you to know many of us share and sympathize with you.

Diane
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Who did all of you talk to about this. Was it the neuro or the PC?

I do suffer from IBS but only talked to my PC about it. I taKE dexilant and miralax to help.

Never spoke to the neuro about this.
                    DIAGNOSED=2012
                    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                    REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by mercadies25 View Post
                      Who did all of you talk to about this. Was it the neuro or the PC?

I do suffer from IBS but only talked to my PC about it. I taKE dexilant and miralax to help.

Never spoke to the neuro about this.

I go to a gastroenterologist.
                      Marti

Comment

I was dx with a spastic colon as a teen, then as an adult they called it ibs. I havent had problems but in the past year or so I always feel so bloated, constipated, Recently I been having serious cramps that last for days, I kept thinking they were female cramps but no period. My GYN did an ultrasound and just said my uterus is enlarged and I have fibroids and sent me on my way. Now I am going to see a gastro on wed to see what he says. I am so tired of being bloated. Starting to wonder if a hysterectomy would help me feel better. Also what are the symptoms of an inguinal hernia? I know my stomach muscles are streched or pulled aprt after giving birth 3 times. I wondered if that had anything to do with it.
                        Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

Hi,

Still in limbo, I just came back from my GI doctor. In Jan 2014, I had blood in stool for 3-4 days. I had a colonoscopy to rule out Crohn's. I've had 2 high positive ANA since Sep 2013.

They also did a biopsy, so good news is I'm in the clear for Crohn's however I do have IBS.

I've also experienced constipation/Diarrhea for some time now. At times I need to rush to the washroom, other times I can't go for 4 days. Also have mucus in stool, and some leakage(but not always...thank goodness)..sorry TMI!!

GI doc prescribed Dicetel, he also suggest I take fibre supplements every day. I asked if my colon would get "lazy" and he said no...in fact he takes some every day and said even if we eat well, it's difficult for us to get enough fiber to keep our digestive/bowel track in check, and it will help with all my bowel issues.

Hope this helps!

Minnie76
                          Low Vit D
                          Positive ANA
                          DX with TN Jan 2013
                          In limboland

Comment

How long do your attacks usually last? Days? Weeks? More?

I've run into a problem with my Medicare supplement. They will not cover certain meds anymore. I put in an order to refill, go to pick it up and find out it's $180.00! This has happend with Librax and Donnatel this week. So right now I'm left without any meds to help with the IBS. My pharmacist suggested taking Previcid twice a day. I'm nauseas, gassy, can't eat and have pain from the bottom of my abdomen to the top of my chest!

Any other "home remedies" you know about?
                            Marti

Comment

Hi Marti!

I'm from the Toronto area, and I'm lucky to have medical coverage with work, so I only pay a $10 deductible once a year. My month supply of Dicetel was 77.55(includes $12 fee), 90 tablets (3 times a day). My Gi doc said that once things settle I can take Dicetel on an as needed basis only.

The other day, I was coming home from work...I was in so much pain, that driving was difficult, I ended up unzipping my skirt...and undoing my blouse from the bottom...thank god I didn't get pulled over .

I told my hubby to stay up as I actually thought that I had another burst cyst from my ovary (very painful, I've suffered from them for many years, including emergency surgery to remove one). By the time I got home he needed to help me out of the car.

As for a home remedy, I got a hot water bottle that night and it help ease the pain. When I asked the GI about the pain he said it was absolutely from IBS...I was shocked that it could be that painful!

There's no rhyme or reason for the pain/discomfort...it doesn't last a full month...but I'll be off for a week or so.

But def try the hot water bottle, it relaxes things.

Take care,

Minnie76

Comment

It finally happened. I had such awful stomach pains overnight and into yesterday that I went to the E/R. Bad experience, but that's just hospital stuff.

Anyway I thought I was having another obstruction after a bout of IBS. Turned out I was constipated. They did nothing except give me nausea meds while I was there. The doctor ordered GoLightly and Ducolox supposatories which I have't picked up yet. They were going to admit me just to do the clean-out but I wanted to go home.

So, I guess MS, IBS and Graves can all cause this problem. Now I see what you all have been saying. One more gift from MS. I've had a lot of constipation over the years, but it always resolved.

By the way, they found this on an xray. The radiologist said he could tell I was constipated. Does this sound right? On an xray? Surprised me.

So.. I will up my Miralax and take more Benefiber and TRY to eat better. Any other suggetions? I'm wondering about Magnesium. Thanks again.
                                Marti

Comment

Working...
                                X