Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
    wanted her to try a gluten-free diet for awhile to see if it helps,
    Interesting conversation! My daughter (age 31) has been suffering all the IBS syptoms including migraines 2-3 times a week. She has been suffering through this for about 5-6 yrs. Finally her primary dr suggested testing her for food allergies. She thought - what the heck? can't hurt to try? Right?

She went on a 'diet' eating only meat, fruit and veges. Within 2 weeks she was feeling so much better and no migraines and no bathroom issues. When she ate gluten (a sandwich) she immediately was racing for the bathroom.

I realize this doesn't really compare to the IBS conversation but it might be something for someone.
    Karen

Comment

Hi Marti, I'm sorry you have to go through all of this. On top of MS! I feel for you.

What you are feeling, in my opinion, is a combination if severe IBS with MS included. One is aggravating the other.

I would get major pain under left rib that would travel through to my back, then make its way to shoulder, then to neck and head. This pain is debilitating, and then worse with every breath.

The area under your rib is where the large intestine goes by. Once your bowels get moving, this area should clear and then you get relief. It is so important with IBS to keep intestines moving.

Hi fiber ingredients are a must!

DO NOT eat raw fruit or veggies!!! You system has to do a lot to process these raw foods, and major gas is produced in intestinal tract. Very painful!

DO NOT eat Hummus, Cauliflour, Cabbage, or Beans. These are major gas producers. When you get lots of gas from these, the gas tends to create a barrier, then nothing gets through.

DO drink lots of fluids. I found that hot fluids were best. A hot glass of water with 1 TBS of honey, 2-3 times a day helps a lot. Coffee will help with evacuation.

Check to see if you are LACTOSE INTOLERANT. If so, stay away from all dairy except Cheese and Yogurt. You can also buy Lactose Free Milk.

PROBIOTICS: probiotic yogurt is the same as regular except it is allowed longer periods of controlled temperature to elevate the level of bacteria.

These are called Good Bacteria, they help intestines break down food better.

PREBIOTICS: are like food for the bacteria, to keep them working, it's like giving them energy.

I know this sounds gross to many, to me too.

It's worth a try!

LEG PAIN: the only leg pain I had came from exhaustion and pressure.

I often felt like all my insides wanted to come out of me, from my lower parts, the pressure was intense. It seemed like there was heaviness. This would cause pressure in the groin, therefore travel to the legs.

This comes from a super irritated intestinal track that is now swollen and bruised. I sometimes could not walk for days! This is called an IBS attack.

It is important to keep things moving, and PASS GAS AS NEEDED!!! It could be awkward but save you days of pain!

I for one am glad you are asking questions because it can be a horrible experience, and exacerbated by MS, or vice-versa.
      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Originally posted by CaroleL View Post
        Hi Marti, I'm sorry you have to go through all of this. On top of MS! I feel for you.

What you are feeling, in my opinion, is a combination if severe IBS with MS included. One is aggravating the other.

I would get major pain under left rib that would travel through to my back, then make its way to shoulder, then to neck and head. This pain is debilitating, and then worse with every breath.

The area under your rib is where the large intestine goes by. Once your bowels get moving, this area should clear and then you get relief. It is so important with IBS to keep intestines moving.

Hi fiber ingredients are a must!

DO NOT eat raw fruit or veggies!!! You system has to do a lot to process these raw foods, and major gas is produced in intestinal tract. Very painful!

DO NOT eat Hummus, Cauliflour, Cabbage, or Beans. These are major gas producers. When you get lots of gas from these, the gas tends to create a barrier, then nothing gets through.

DO drink lots of fluids. I found that hot fluids were best. A hot glass of water with 1 TBS of honey, 2-3 times a day helps a lot. Coffee will help with evacuation.

Check to see if you are LACTOSE INTOLERANT. If so, stay away from all dairy except Cheese and Yogurt. You can also buy Lactose Free Milk.

PROBIOTICS: probiotic yogurt is the same as regular except it is allowed longer periods of controlled temperature to elevate the level of bacteria.

These are called Good Bacteria, they help intestines break down food better.

PREBIOTICS: are like food for the bacteria, to keep them working, it's like giving them energy.

I know this sounds gross to many, to me too.

It's worth a try!

LEG PAIN: the only leg pain I had came from exhaustion and pressure.

I often felt like all my insides wanted to come out of me, from my lower parts, the pressure was intense. It seemed like there was heaviness. This would cause pressure in the groin, therefore travel to the legs.

This comes from a super irritated intestinal track that is now swollen and bruised. I sometimes could not walk for days! This is called an IBS attack.

It is important to keep things moving, and PASS GAS AS NEEDED!!! It could be awkward but save you days of pain!

I for one am glad you are asking questions because it can be a horrible experience, and exacerbated by MS, or vice-versa.

Thanks again Carol. I guess you are suggesting probiotics and prebiotics (pills) to help with the IBS. I don't remember if I asked you if you get palpitations with your intestinal symptoms. I started getting them when my thyroid went hyper and I developed Graves disease. They have slowed down since they killed my thyroid, but I still get some. Now they kind of take my breath away. I'm scheduled for a stress test Tuesday. I've done this before, but the heart doc wants to check again. Usually a dose of Xanax helps with the palps. There is so much going on. It's like my body is fighting itself. I just had no idea that the MS would or could have anything to do with the IBS. My arms hurt in the muscles a lot more now. And my legs!!! It's hard to know which med to take since I'm not sure what's causing the various pains etc. Aren't we a mess! I'm happy to have met you. You have had a lot of experience with all of this. Hope you get thru it. Please friend me on Facebook if you use it. Marti Cozza Arnold.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Marti,

I am not suggesting you take pro/PREBIOTICS. I was answering your question, as posted:

Is anyone taking probiotics? And what are Prebiotics??

I don't personally take them, but I know many people do. I can't get my head around taking extra bacteria. I tend to think of them as little bugs. That may help you though.

I also had palpitations. My doctor took blood test and declared I had no thyroid problem so it was my nerves.

Sometimes I think MS, IBS, DEPRESSION, and all the others are somewhere in my body toasting:

ALL FOR ONE! AND ONE FOR ALL! Lmao!

We may someday figure it all out.

Comment

Marti,

I am not suggesting you take pro/PREBIOTICS. I was answering your question, as posted:

Is anyone taking probiotics? And what are Prebiotics??

I don't personally take them, but I know many people do. I can't get my head around taking extra bacteria. I tend to think of them as little bugs. That may help you though.

I also had palpitations. My doctor took blood test and declared I had no thyroid problem so it was my nerves.

Sometimes I think MS, IBS, DEPRESSION, and all the others are somewhere in my body toasting:

ALL FOR ONE! AND ONE FOR ALL! Lmao!

We may someday figure it all out.

Something else I think I forgot to tell you.... Four years ago I had a small bowel resection to correct a blockage from adhesions. I honestly believe I never recovered from that surgery. The doctors have done test after test because the pain never stopped. Then the IBS symptoms started. And of course, they all kept telling me that the MS was mixed in there. I notice the palps a lot when I am gassy or feeling kind of bloated or have tummy pains apparently from the IBS. Anyway, I think you're right about the MS being related to the IBS. Sometimes I take Neurontin, thinking this is nerve pain. And I still try Librax for the intestinal spasms. I just never thought it would get this bad. Thanks for all the help.
            Marti

Comment

You're welcome Marti,

When I think back on my past attacks, I'm reminded of the shakes, the extreme hot flashes, etc. many symptoms that I am now learning are related to MS.

Our body is ONE SYStem, I don't think we can easily separate one thing from another.

Let's just hope for a cure in the future... In our lifetime I hope!

Don't be shy to ask questions.

Comment

You're welcome Marti,

When I think back on my past attacks, I'm reminded of the shakes, the extreme hot flashes, etc. many symptoms that I am now learning are related to MS.

Our body is ONE SYStem, I don't think we can easily separate one thing from another.

Let's just hope for a cure in the future... In our lifetime I hope!

Don't be shy to ask questions.

Carol, I think you were one of the people who asked about my stress test. Just wanted to let you know that it went fine and everything is normal. So, we're back to the drawing board.
                Marti

Comment

Oh, CaroleL,

GOSH that would be awful having diarrhea when in a w/c

Docs have been "investigating" my diahrrhea ("d/"). I too prefer d/ over constipation. Good grief aren't we "a bunch"??
                  Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Hi! I am so sorry that all of you with IBS are going through so much! Especially on top of MS! My heart goes out to each of you.

During my twenties and thirties, I had a lot of bathroom issues...either I would all of a sudden have to go (right then!) or be constipated for days. ;-) At the time, my PCP implied IBS, but no formal dx or plan to dal with my issues.

During my forties when bouts of fatigue would hit I was desperate for a solution and decided to try going gluten free. (This was all before I was dxd with MS.). This was not as popular then and people thought I was crazy. But I have to say that I felt immediate effects within a week. I have never had any desired to go back to gluten. (Okay, maybe I fantasize about a good NY Jewish bagel or yummy Chinese dumplings, but truly, that is really all I miss.).

It was so life changing and simple to do. Yes, processed gluten free foods are expensive, but if you focus on food in its simplest form, it is really quite simple and healthy. For grains I like rice (white and brown), quinoa, noodles from quinoa/corn or rice, almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, etc. I buy Bob's Red Mill GF Oats for easy oatmeal. Potatoes are great as hashbrowns, fries or baked. Tortillas are corn only. Of course, lots of veggies, salad and lean meats. When I need something simple and easy for a carb crave, I have a bowl of GF Chex.

Quite a few people I know had the same experience with a GF diet. (Of course, I live in CO, where healthy diets are the rage and restaurants catered to GF and food allergies.) Something to consider that is easy to do, requires no prescription from the doctor and is medicine free. Just my experience and thoughts to share....

Best wishes to each of you!! I admired your strength and courage to deal with all that IBS entails!

Comment

Marti, I'm glad you test went well!

Fishhead, a bunch indeed!. Lol

Comment

Carol, as I posted in another thread, I had IBS for years. However, since I've been eating more fiber in my diet and eating ground flax seed, I haven't had any problems. You might give that a try and see if it helps you.

Hugs,

Lisa
                        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thank you for posting the article about the study. I would like to point this out, though: the study, although it had a parallel correlation to M.S. pts (11 "normal vs. 11 "MS'ers"), there is statistically TOO FEW subjects to make an accurate postulation. I would, personally, like to see that study as a "Phase III" (meaning thousands of subjects) clinical research trial.
                          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I've had IBS since I was in elementary school, misdiagnosed many times having my mother being told I was hypochondriac UNTIL a Dr realized how underweight I was and how sick I was. I had several area's that had turned into infections so I was lucky he believed me.

30 years later, I still have issues with IBS so I should watch what I eat and keep the stress down, neither that I do. I can kind of see if both MS and IBS were somehow related, as someone said, IBS is also termed spastic colon.

Comment

Sorry, I just had to open this thread again.

I'm wondering if any of you tend to lose weight when your IBS is kicking you around. I've been having a lot of trouble eating. I can nibble or eat certain "comfort" foods. But I still lose a pound here and there.

I also read that the leg/groin/hip pain I've been getting can also be part of the IBS. Something about the nerves and muscles being affected. I've had 2 MRI's of the area and all they found was tendinitis and degenerative type stuff. The leg pain has something to do with the density of the bone marrow in the femur. It's a small area that looks different (per my doctor). They don't think it's anything exciting.

All I know is that I keep feeling sick to my stomach without any vomiting or diarrhea. I tend to be more constipated or just don't feel like I need to go to the bathroom. Thanks again.
                              Marti

Comment

Yes, you definitely can loose weight with IBS. I've had it since I was in my teens, went undiagnosed for a long time.
                                With not eating as much or staying away from trigger foods weight loss would happen.

I'm actually in a bad bout of it right now brought on by a touch of the flu. Once my system gets upset it takes a long time to get it all regulated right again.

Comment

Working...
                                X