Does anyone have IBS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaroleL View Post
    Wow, I just found the time to read that article. Thank you ghostgirl for posting it.

*bows* Glad I could be of service.

My son takes Dicyclomine (spelling?) for his IBS. He really hasn't had any issues with it since he started the meds. I wish I would have had something when I was his age.

Comment

I've been hospitalized several times for IBS. I went from 40 years of chronic constipation to 10 years of diarrhea.

My body should be attached to a sump pump or something.
      I do prefer diarrhea to constipation though.

I don't think MS and IBS are linked other than the spasms. Maybe the spasms are more severe because of IBS. Interesting though!

Carol, I'm wondering what they did for you in the hospital.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

When hospitalized for IBS I received different treatments. The usual treatment was inserting a tube in my nose down to my stomach. This hose was connected to a pump that slowly emptied my stomach content.

At that time, I had almost a month's worth of food (fermented no less) in my stomach. Everything had stopped working. I was constipated, nauseous and suffered from severe spasms. I was on a morphine drip for pain. I don't remember much about what else I was given.

I'd like to note here that nausea (with no vomitting) and bad breath were major symptoms. I was working for a doctor at the time, he was shocked at how bad the situation was. He stated that I'd had bad breath for about a month, but didn't want to embarrass me by saying anything. It could have been a life saving comment.

A few visits to ER saved my life. One doctor told me that had I waited another 2 hrs, I'd be dead. Something about ruptured intestines.

I remember having so much inflammation from the spasms that i could hardly even walk a few steps. Recovery from these episodes lasted over a week. Often just to return a few weeks later.

Chronic ulcerative colitis was one diagnosis I got, but mainly we just called it IBS. For years I was taking dulcolax daily, as well as antidepressants.

I'm so glad I got over that 40 year phase! I can feel for anybody with IBS. It's a terrible thing to have, and often not taken too seriously by doctors.

I hope this helps.
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

When hospitalized for IBS I received different treatments. The usual treatment was inserting a tube in my nose down to my stomach. This hose was connected to a pump that slowly emptied my stomach content.

At that time, I had almost a month's worth of food (fermented no less) in my stomach. Everything had stopped working. I was constipated, nauseous and suffered from severe spasms. I was on a morphine drip for pain. I don't remember much about what else I was given.

I'd like to note here that nausea (with no vomitting) and bad breath were major symptoms. I was working for a doctor at the time, he was shocked at how bad the situation was. He stated that I'd had bad breath for about a month, but didn't want to embarrass me by saying anything. It could have been a life saving comment.

A few visits to ER saved my life. One doctor told me that had I waited another 2 hrs, I'd be dead. Something about ruptured intestines.

I remember having so much inflammation from the spasms that i could hardly even walk a few steps. Recovery from these episodes lasted over a week. Often just to return a few weeks later.

Chronic ulcerative colitis was one diagnosis I got, but mainly we just called it IBS. For years I was taking dulcolax daily, as well as antidepressants.

I'm so glad I got over that 40 year phase! I can feel for anybody with IBS. It's a terrible thing to have, and often not taken too seriously by doctors.

I hope this helps.

OMG... I did not realize IBS could get that bad!! Were your spasms in your tummy or your legs? I have such weak abdominal muscles that I can barely pick up a stick of firewood without being sore. And the back pain!! Yikes! I have to wonder if there wasn't something else (more) going on with you. I'm pretty sure my small bowel resection is what kicked off all my tummy trouble. My thyroid went hyper immediately after the surgery. It just builds and builds. My heart goes out to you. I never would have thought IBS or colitis could cause the extent of problems you went thru.
          Marti

Comment

My spasms were intestinal. It felt like everything wanted to come out out me. All of my lower parts felt bruised.

I'm not conscious of any MS activity during that time.

Anyone having severe symptoms with IBS should never be embarrassed to go to emergency. It could save your life!

Comment

My spasms were intestinal. It felt like everything wanted to come out out me. All of my lower parts felt bruised.

I'm not conscious of any MS activity during that time.

Anyone having severe symptoms with IBS should never be embarrassed to go to emergency. It could save your life!

I know this is our MS board, but this IBS thread is just what I need right now. Carol.... I don't know about you, but I always just feel sick. Nausea (no vomiting), pain everywhere including arms and legs and back, anxiety etc. Do you feel like this all the time? Every once in awhile I notice that I have NOT noticed it for a time. So I know it does actually let up sometimes. But most of the time... UGH! I take Librax when I need it. I'm going to try this Pine nut oil. Do you have any other suggestions??
              Marti

Comment

Hi folks~ there's no problem talking about IBS here at MSW! I'm just sorry you have to suffer so. My mom has had it for years now and I know she suffers too. She says so much of her problems stem from the foods she eats. I wanted her to try a gluten-free diet for awhile to see if it helps, but she lives in a independent retirement community where they provide meals, so she wasn't willing....sigh~

For those of you who want more information and talk with others who suffer from this, there are forums out there. Just suggesting it for gathering more information! I just did a google search - IBS forum and saw many forums to choose from.

Good luck and hope you all feel better
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  Hi folks~ there's no problem talking about IBS here at MSW! I'm just sorry you have to suffer so. My mom has had it for years now and I know she suffers too. She says so much of her problems stem from the foods she eats. I wanted her to try a gluten-free diet for awhile to see if it helps, but she lives in a independent retirement community where they provide meals, so she wasn't willing....sigh~

For those of you who want more information and talk with others who suffer from this, there are forums out there. Just suggesting it for gathering more information! I just did a google search - IBS forum and saw many forums to choose from.

Good luck and hope you all feel better
                  Thanks.. I was going to ask that question next.
                  Marti

Comment

I spent a lot of time on IBS forums. There is tins of info and support for IBSers.

Marti, I hardly ever have these episodes anymore. The trick for me was to stay regular. Taking Dulcolax daily helped me.

Because I'm lactose intolerant, whenever I got constipated I would eat a big bowl of ice cream. My belly hurt like heck for 1/2 hour then bowels got in motion.

I also started antidepressants. For me, they helped relax the stomach muscles, therefore less spasms, therefore less swelling.

If you've been constipated over a week, are nauseous without throwing up, don't waste time in consulting your doctor. When intestines get too full, they bust. This is very dangerous and after being constipated for two weeks, can be fatal.

Important note: avoid ex lax or any product that purposely spasm the intestines in order to empty them. This will probably cause swelling,which causes additional problems.

Comment

YES

I am not dx'd with IBD, but have had problems for many years. Usually not constipated; more diarhea than anything else. It is a miserable condition and i can look back over the years and see that my condition seemed to worsen after the dx of MS. Who knows though; seems like MS has many possibilities, so many symptoms mimic other diseases.

By the way, my mom did have IBD with constipation being her worst symptom. Eventually she had a ruptured colon. I guess her colon just got so overworked with all the meds for constipation.

Diane
                      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgirl View Post
                        K. Here's what I found:

This is the one I read when it came out, www.ezinearticles.com

www.webmd.com

Happy reading.
                        Actually, I'm surprised the moderator left this article link on the message board. The article is full of typos and grammar problems, and at the very end, it tells you who wrote the article with a link to her own IBS website. No sources for her conclusions are cited. IMHO, this article is simply an opinion of the writer, and comes across as a school assignment.

I am NOT saying the information is incorrect, but am saying it doesn't have appropriate support cited so that a reader can determine its validity.

Just saying.
                        20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

INTERESTING.

I thought many of the same things as you regarding the article.
                          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

[QUOTE=CaroleL;1397625]When hospitalized for IBS I received different treatments. The usual treatment was inserting a tube in my nose down to my stomach. This hose was connected to a pump that slowly emptied my stomach content.

At that time, I had almost a month's worth of food (fermented no less) in my stomach. Everything had stopped working...

QUOTE]

What did they do to prevent FUTURE issues with this????
                            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Absolutely nothing!

I was simply told that if this happened again to come back to ER.

IBS wasn't taken seriously for the longest time. I think it's changing now as more people are being diagnosed with it.

I think that anyone that has concerns should ask to see a gastroenterologist, and ask for a colonoscopy. I think family doctors don't realize how painful IBS is.

Comment

I'm sorry to keep opening this thread, but I have so many questions. It's bad enough having MS, but to have several autoimmune diseases is torture.

For you all who have IBS: Do you just feel "sick" all the time?? I mean, it hardly ever lets up anymore. Nausea, pain EVERYWHERE, feeling like I can't eat sometimes. No vomiting or diarrhea, but some constipation or a feeling of it being difficult to go.

Is anyone taking probiotics? And what are Prebiotics??

I have so much chest and back pain. Now my arms and legs are hurting. This could be a result of the thyroid problem, although my endo says "no". He feels like I'm right on schedule with my labs. I have doubts. Once you removed or "kill" a major part of your body things are never the same.

I don't want any of you to suffer with this, but it does help to reassure me when I hear that other people have these same problems.
                                Marti

Comment

Working...
                                X