Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have IBS?

Hi,

I'm just curious, and maybe trying to find a connection. I have chronic severe IBS. It's been a lifelong thing. Needless to say, being wheelchair bound and having IBS can be challenging.
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

I had is severely when I was younger. I was even hospitalized for it several times. I have pretty much grown out of it though (thankfully). I remember reading when I was first diagnosed that there is a possible link to childhood IBS and MS, but I don't remember where it was.

Hmm. I'll see if I can find a link.

Comment

Oh yes.... IBS is my enemy. Mine started after intestinal surgery 4 years ago. The pain is my worst symptom. Not to mention the gas, GERD, chest pains, back pains tummy pains and constipation. I just learned about a product called Pine Nut Oil that is supposed to work wonders for gastric stuff. I ordered it but haven't gotten it yet. I'm hoping for good results.

I totally sympathize with you. IBS is awful.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Oh yes... IBS is my enemy. Mine started 4 years ago after intestinal surgery. I deal with chest pain, back pain, tummy pain, constipation, GERD, heartburn etc. I recently found out about a product called Pine Nut Oil that is supposed to work wonders for gastric problems. Waiting to receive it in the mail.

I totally sympathize with you. It's awful.
        Marti

Comment

IBS Sucks

I've been hospitalized several times for IBS. I went from 40 years of chronic constipation to 10 years of diarrhea.

My body should be attached to a sump pump or something.
          I do prefer diarrhea to constipation though.

I don't think MS and IBS are linked other than the spasms. Maybe the spasms are more severe because of IBS. Interesting though!

Comment

K. Here's what I found:

This is the one I read when it came out, www.ezinearticles.com

www.webmd.com

Happy reading.

Comment

Please excuse my double posting. My puter was having a stroke and goofed me up.
              Marti

Comment

Originally posted by CaroleL View Post
                I don't think MS and IBS are linked other than the spasms. Maybe the spasms are more severe because of IBS. Interesting though!
                Actually, IBS is a common misdiagnosis for MS sufferers. Although there are many, many people who have IBS without MS, there are also many MS'ers that have IBS-type sx because of their MS lesions. MS can cause damage to the nerves that control a range of autonomic functions as well as muscles running through the entire digestive symptom.

MS'ers also have a higher rate of GERD. The nerves controlling the intestinal, abdominal, and rectal muscles can be damaged, preventing food from properly moving through the whole process. This is why you can go between bouts of severe constipation to severe diarrhea. They have done some specific studies on MS and constipation, for one, that shows that many MS'ers food takes 4 times as long to pass through the whole process, and that even when stool is soft (like a paste) the muscles are unable to "eject" (how's that for a visual).

So, I think, IMHO, that even though there is probably no direct causal link between IBS and MS, there is strong evidence supporting that MS can and does cause IBS as one sx.
                20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

Originally posted by HellsBells1 View Post
                  Actually, IBS is a common misdiagnosis for MS sufferers. Although there are many, many people who have IBS without MS, there are also many MS'ers that have IBS-type sx because of their MS lesions. MS can cause damage to the nerves that control a range of autonomic functions as well as muscles running through the entire digestive symptom.

MS'ers also have a higher rate of GERD. The nerves controlling the intestinal, abdominal, and rectal muscles can be damaged, preventing food from properly moving through the whole process. This is why you can go between bouts of severe constipation to severe diarrhea. They have done some specific studies on MS and constipation, for one, that shows that many MS'ers food takes 4 times as long to pass through the whole process, and that even when stool is soft (like a paste) the muscles are unable to "eject" (how's that for a visual).

So, I think, IMHO, that even though there is probably no direct causal link between IBS and MS, there is strong evidence supporting that MS can and does cause IBS as one sx.

Amazing bit of research. Thanks. I also believe that there probably is a connection between the two since they are both considered to be autoimmune diseases.

I'd like to know where you got all your information. I assumed my IBS was caused by the small bowel resection I had 4 years ago. Maybe I'm on the wrong road.
                  Marti

Comment

Bowel Issues in MS - Study

Here is the study from the Journal of Neurology:
                    http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/60/1/31.full.pdf

Not the most exciting reading, but any of the MS Society websites also talk about a variety of bowel issues with MS. I just found this specific study particularly interesting in how thorough it was.

Another name for IBS is Spastic Colon, and we all know that MS'ers have particular problems with spasticity. So if you can have spasticity in your arms or legs, why not your colon. So what may be officially dx'd as IBS, may simply be a sx of MS. IBS is a dx of elimination, meaning that when they can find no other reason for the associated problems and sx, they can dx IBS. I would theorize, IMHO, that if you have MS, then this would be a very valid reason for the stomach and bowel sx, and thus the dx should remain to be MS, not IBS.
                    20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

Wow, I just found the time to read that article. Thank you ghostgirl for posting it.

Part of the article reads as follows:

Thus, when you experience any of the symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome disorder or multiple sclerosis, it is highly recommended that you see a physician immediately. By doing so, you can avoid all these health complications. Your doctor will give you a sound advise on how you can avoid getting afflicted with other diseases, besides giving you medicines to address your existing condition.

Funny how this angers me! I've had IBS all my life and nobody ever told me this. I'm 50 years old!

I wish doctors and health providers were more informed, and gave us a heads up!

My daughters both have IBS. My youngest, now 30, was diagnosed with Lupus at age 15, after suffering 2 strokes and multiple organs affected.

Maybe, just maybe, had she been tested, her life would be different today, as would mine.

Comment

The following is a quote from one of my doctors who happens tohave MS. I sent her this post and asked her opinion. For what it's worth, I think she is a jewell and wish she could still be practicing.

HI! Have missed talking with you. I think the basic connection is the sensitive nervous system people with MS have. When electrical signals are shooting around irregularly in our body, everything responds in a haphazard way (therefore, migraines, fatigue, fibromyalgia, AND diarrhea/constipation). It's so easy to try to separate body parts, but since ALL of the body is affected by the nervous system, imagine how MS can affect those diagnosed?! Call me----love ya---ME
                        Marti

Comment

I like her input! I think you were lucky to have her as a doctor and now as a friend.

Comment

Thank you all for this discussion and thanks to the original poster. This really opens my eyes and helps me understand a little bit more about this nasty disease we all have.
                            Marti

Comment

I have chronic constipation. Even when stools are loose, I still have to use a suppository to get things to evacuate! Totally frustrating.

I am currently trying a new med called Linzess. It helps me go every day so far. Hopefully it will keep working.
                              Brenda
                              Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
                              X