Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mg and Fiber

Marti,

My sister has constipation issues with her PPMS. She usually takes fiber everyday (citrical generic, whatever is cheap). When she has a period of need she adds Magnesium in the form of Magnesium fortified water.

The Mg water is just a generic "health" water. Read labels, works two fold for her. Let's her go but doesn't cause diahrea.

Good Luck.

Comment

Fiber

Fiber does the trick for me most of the time in controlling my so called IBS. 1-2 teaspoons of metamusil/psllium(?) power a day keeps things moving in an orderly fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by lordwilling View Post
        Fiber does the trick for me most of the time in controlling my so called IBS. 1-2 teaspoons of metamusil/psllium(?) power a day keeps things moving in an orderly fashion.

I think I know what you mean by "so called IBS". Sometimes I really wonder if there isn't something else going on. Mine started after I had a small bowel resection. I have never been the same since then. I really believe there is scar tissue causing this stuff but can't convince any doctor to look into it. I have increased my Miralax and am going to the bathroom a little more. So maybe I'm not constipated anymore. Guess without another xray I will never know for sure. All I know is this is some wicked pain!
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I've had IBS most of my life; I think it is related

I've had IBS most of my life. I also have developed multiple food sensitivities, most likely due to lifetime inflammation. I also wonder about leaky gut. But Ihave no doubt that this is the underlying cause for the problem. If I had changed my diet from the outset, rather than just dealing with the intestinal symptoms, I think the inflammation reaction would not have morphed into MS.

What we eat and what we should not eat is SO important and cannot be stressed enough. Inflammation is what is at the root cause of most autoimmune diseases.

Comment

IBS & MS

I had a nurse friend who was sure I had Lupus or something since I already had a few other auto-immune diseases: arthritis, Reynaulds, and IBS symptoms. Little did we know I had MS! So it doesn't surprise me at this point to have any other auto-immune issues. That said, my IBS symptoms are better than they were now that I'm doing a mostly grain-free diet, mostly organic, lots of veggies and grass-fed meat.

Comment

Back on this train again. Have a couple questions for you IBS-ers.

Do you guys lose your appetite for weeks at a time and have all the usual symptoms for a long time before it lets up?

I've lost several pounds and it seems like everything I eat gives me heartburn and nausea. I just feel sick all the time.

My ribs hurt terribly and I don't believe it's the HUG.

Going to see the Gastro soon. Will also see my neuro again in two weeks.

I just want to hear how your IBS treats you all. I know it can cause a lot of weird symptoms, like MS does.
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

CaroleL,

While I do not know if there is a connection, I too have had IBS my entire life.

Went for a walk yesterday morn after it had already started to get hot...OMG I had bad diarrhea ALL day. I just rolled my eyes and made sure I had enough TP.

What else can we do, huh?
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

DOCTOR'S HAD THOUGHT I HAD IBS UNTIL RECENTLY. I'VE ALWAYS HAD THE FEELING I HAD IBD AND NOT IBS . A FEW MONTH BACK WAS SEEN IN THE ER FOR ABDOMINAL PAIN AND BAD BLEEDING. A CT SCAN FOUND INTESTINAL INFLAMMATION . I WAS SENT HOME WITH ANTI BIOTICS.

JUST HAD A COLONOSCOPY WERE MORE INFLAMMATION WAS FOUND. NOW JUST WAITING ON BIOPSY REPORT AND FOLLOW UP TO CONFIRM CROHNS.

I'D FOUND A WEBSITE RECENTLY ON IBD AND MS . ON IT THEY WERE SAY THAT THERE WAS SOME LINK WITH IBD AND MS. NOT SURE HOW TRUE THIS IS BUT WITH THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WITH EITHER IBD OR IBS AND MS IT SURE SEEMS LIKE THERE IS A CONNECTION TO ME.
                  I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD THAT IBS IS LINKED MORE TO STRESS BUT DO FEEL THAT SOME PEOPLE DX'ED WITH IBS MAY REALLY HAVE IBD. HAD I'D JUST GOTTEN THE COLONOSCOPY SOONER MAYBE I WOULD NOT HAVE SUFFERED SO MUCH. I'VE BEEN TURNING DOWN THIS TEST FOR A FEW YEARS. DUMB ME.

WHEN IN DOUBT , IN PAIN TO OFTEN GET TESTED FOR IBD. I'M NOW WAITING TO HEAR IF I WAS CANCER OR NOT ALSO . DON'T BELIEVE THAT ITS THAT. STILL THE THOUGHTS ARE CREEPING UP.
                  dx.SPMS (baclofen,gabapenin,norco)
                  started tecfidera 7/10/2013
                  rituxan 11/13/2012 stopped due to side effect &it didn't help me (for RA and MS)
                  copaxone started 4/2012 but stopped due to bad allergic reaction
                  Matt.19;26 “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Comment

Working...
                  X