Cognitive Issue - need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognitive Issue - need advice

Hi all. I have an appointment in two weeks with NMSS to explore resources related to cognitive issues.

I am still working but having trouble pulling things together. I have a past due deliverable that is holding up other resources and boss needed ASAP. I have previously disclosed my MS, but never discussed anything related to cognitive.

Some of the items I've seen for cognitive accomodations are tough for me - what I would be asking my boss for are actually part of my job description!

I am really struggling to take items analyzed separately and put together a comprehensive analysis. I don't want to open up about the cognitive issues for fear of providing something that could be used against me, but on the other hand, I can't complete a deliverable. Anymore, everything seems jumbled in my head.

Cognitive testing earlier compared to 3 years ago was the same basically, only noteworthy change was decline in visual memory recall. Nothing that indicates I should be having these difficulties. I expressed this to neuropsych, feels could be related to fatigue/attention.

I was hoping to hold off to see what I can come up with, but not sure I have the option now. I have a meeting tomorrow with boss. Any advice? Feeling very overwhelmed.

Thanks for any input.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

I'm not an expert on Neuro psych evaluations or what the evaluation should detect, but my instinct is that a comprehensive Neuropsych evaluation includes Fatigue in the evaluation process.

A neuro psych evaluation performed by someone specializing in MS or with MS experience should be considered. Some specialize in ADHD in children and other childhood/learning disabilities which might limit their ability to recognize cognitive sx's specific to MS.

Cognitive evaluation should include cognitive retraining to address deficits detected during testing and other deficits reported or detected during the course of re-training.

Was re-training offered or recommended to you following your neuropsych evaluation?

Comment

Exactly the same problems

I have exactly the same problems,i cannot analyze anymore so I don't know anything else to do. my finances are gone along with my cognitive skills.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

The neuropsych had indicated that if i keep experiencing these difficulties, that I may want to consider trying a couple of other meds to help with the fatigue/concentration issues, but he didn't really discuss therapy.

I did discuss with my neuro seeing a therapist. He wanted to see what my annual performance review indicates, and also have both my MRI scans and OCT testing in Feb, so we'll see if any changes there. After he has the rest of the input, he wants to discuss next steps to keep me working.

I am meeting next week with someone from the local NMSS to see what type of resources are out there and take control of what I can.

I did discuss somewhat with my boss Friday, but kept it in the context of not completing my deliverable. I told him that I know I am still a good analyst and an asset to the team, that I have our business client's trust, but that I am struggling to pull complex analysis together. I also told him that I was working on this, mut may need additional input from him or other team members as sounding boards.

At the end of the day, I left it that I would make sure to let him know if there is risk in me not meeting a deadline, and if this occurs more frequently, we may need to discuss my role and that I may need to step back a little, let someone else lead.

My boss seems willing to work with me, but we'll see, when push comes to shove and project pressures are high. I know I could easily become a scapegoat, but he doesn't seem that type of manager (only worked for him 1 year).

I know I am not alone and this board always help. I wish I had more time to stay active on it, but work and home life pretty much take all the energy.

Thanks again.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X