Employment protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment protection

Moderators, not sure if this is in the correct area, I apolize and thank you for your help (the thank you is also for all you do

The past 2 weeks, I have been having "issues". Had to leave work 2 hours early last week (pain, numbness, inability to focus). There is (I believe), at least 1 other time had to leave early. Also, I have not be able to get to work on time. I fall asleep when I should getting up!

My question/rant is: My neurologist does not think patients need FMLA. I am changing neurologist, but, can't get in until June. Is there anything I can do (have comminicated with boss) to protect myself? I am really getting freaked out as I see my problems getting progressively worse, and, though my goal is not to miss work, I have to be realistic.

Thanks for any help!

My neurologist does not think patients need FMLA.

Has your discussion moved beyond FMLA to STD, LTD, other benefits for sick people who are unable to work either intermitantly or those who become permanently disabled?

That is such a strange comment, (could it be a political position?) comming from a medical professional, particularly one providing care to those with MS.

Did you ask your doc eleborate on the FMLA comment?

Do you have a PCP or other doc who will support FMLA leave for you?

Comment

Get your GP

to sign your FMLA form. That's what I did since I couldn't get in to see my neuro as his office was in the middle of moving. Then when you get your new neuro, that's one of the first things you should ask about.

Comment

He Signed!

Saw Neuro yesterday about FMLA, and he thought for a second, then told me he would have it ready next week.

What a huge relief.

Comment

I'm so happy to hear your good news. I was pretty concerned about the precarious situation for you but also confused about your doc's comment, how wide spread the attitude might be.

I suspect few neuro's will ever find it necessary to submit a FMLA form.

Comment

i have been home week by week since 02-06 with numbness in right fingers, hand, arm. neuro ordered IV steroids on 02-04, but good ole BCBS didn't approve it till 02-06; although symptoms began 01-27
            my neuro would only write me out one week at a time. she still says this numbness will go away. each week i have had to contact her office and inform them that this is not getting any better. i have exhausted all of my vaca / sick pay for the entire year (thank God this began at beginning of the year when new vaca starts back up again!!) i have worked for this company for 13 yrs and they are aware of my diagnosis. i have been one of us that "looks so normal" and only suffered "invisible symptoms" such as fatigue, extreme vision loss, MS drunk walk occasionally. i have always been a somewhat of a workaholic and rarely take time off of work.
            neuro still doesn't want to allow for additional time off. she doesn't think any type of disability would go through - that it will get denied
            i work as a medical transcriptionist and am right=handed. i still have difficulty typing and manuevering the mouse. i do not feel comfortable typing medical reports / legal documents and have stated this to her
            my employer has asked me and a few of my close co-workers why i don't just go on disabiltiy. on one hand i don't think i could sit at home and do nothing, but i also know in my heart that going back in and setting myself up isn;t the answer either
            i just don't know what to do ?

Comment

Angela that's too bad. You might need to keep having your neuro sign you out on STD week by week or maybe have your GP sign FMLA papers or change neuros to one who will sign. It can take a long time to get SSDI and your neuro might be right about disability being denied. Unfortunately numbness and vision loss and trouble typing and moving a mouse don't necessarily make you unable to work to the point that you would qualify for disability. So FMLA could be something for you to look into.

Comment

Is it possible for you to ask your employer about installing voice recognition software (like Dragon) on the computer you transcribe Drs notes to? I am assuming you listen to the doctors reports on headphones and then type them on a pc.

Programs like Dragon work well, but take a little time to train to learn your pronunciation patterns but it seems like this would allow you to continue your work while reducing the strain on your fingers etc, maybe you could vary from typing to talking as needed. Just a thought. I use Dragon on my pc when my fingers are too tired to type.

Comment

FMLA

Hi,

I am having similar issues w/work, but my own HR Dept. suggested I file FMLA forms. (I, too, am going to change neurologists, but am seeing him today and "assume" he will sign/fill out the forms for me!) He knows I have MS, of course, but acts as though I am NOT having a flare-up, even after an MRI. Or rather, says my new MS lesions are on the wrong side to be causing my left-sided facial/head numbness. (My old neurologist diagnosed my MS 7 years ago, and this same numbness is what started the diagnosis to begin with? That, then MRI and lumbar puncture, etc.

Kind of strange. HE and all these forms are just adding to the stress, and probably not helping lessen symptoms with the MS.

I am glad your neuro "consented" to FLMA for you : ) This whole process is kind of backwards to me. These doctors are supposed to be our advocates, and (at least in my case) mine is just the opposite. What a shame. We all have to be our own advocates in the end. BUT, we can help each other....on boards like these. Good luck to you, and feel better!

Comment

suggestion

To those or you that are having difficutly getting these filled out:

Does your neuros have other neuros in the office or nurse practitioners? Or is there office managers that you can talk to?

That would be some of the suggestions that I would do. I also would ask the neuro what they would like you to do.
                    Would they like to hire you to work in their office since they think that you can work.

Not being able to type would also negate to not being able to answer a multiline phone, or write. Alot of fine motore skills, like handeling paper or groups of papers would be out of the question. Even if you use dragon software, there may still be difficutly with using the dictation line to do the dictation with the dragon software.

SSDI may deny you the first time. Most of the STD should be approved with out to much difficulty. LTD usually not that hard to get approved. Some often request a functional capacity exam. This is a series of Occupational and Physical therapy options.

Be your own advocate and be persistant.
                    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
                    X