Let Me Introduce Myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let Me Introduce Myself

Hello all. My name is Jessica and I'm 26. Married with a 8 month old boy.

At the beginning of November, I woke up one morning and fell almost as soon as I got out of the bed. Didn't think too much of it. Later that morning, while making a bottle, I dropped it, for no reason, or so I thought. Later, I fell again. As the day progressed, my left leg started dragging behind me and I was starting to lose function of my left hand and my husband and I finally agreed I would go to the ER when both of my legs went numb. To make a VERY long story shorter, after two days of medical testing, and almost being sent home from the ER initially, I was diagnosed with MS. I finally lost complete function of my left hand. I did five days of IV Steroids and then I went to a Rehab in Houston, Texas where I learned the true volume of what was going on. It turns out, I have been living with MS for about 15 years now. I thought everyone had trouble not peeing on themselves. Only had one bowel movement a week. Saw double on and off when they were tired. Saw stars and got dizzy often. Etc...

It's crazy what you can live with if you have to. After three weeks in Rehab, my husband and parents had packed my home and put everything in storage and we moved in with my parents so my mother could stay home with me and my son. A week after being home, I had a second attack leaving about 75% of my body numb and lost the function of my right hand this time. Did seven more days of the IV Steroids and now I'm trying to figure out where my baseline is. I was still recovering from my first attack so I'm not really sure just yet. I have noticed my processing is slower and my attention has been affected. In my case, I feel as though the internal things you can't see have been more affected than the external.

So that's my MS story. Just trying to meet others in my situation. I don't get out much, obviously, but that hasn't really changed anyway. I've done as much reading as I possibly could and feel pretty okay with everything as of now. There are still some unanswered questions, but I don't feel the need to harp on it. Everything will work out one way or another. In the meantime, I have been trying to enjoy my life as much as possible and spend as much energy on my little boy as I can. Yes it has been hard, but I have made it to this point, so I really feel like I can do anything thrown at me. Children are excellent motivators. And as I'm sure a lot of you know, 8 month olds will wait for no one, MS or no!!
    ~Jessica
    RRMS, TYSABRI, DX-11/4/12

Thank you for sharing & your honesty.

I am new to MS.
    14 shots of Avonex so far. Chills for a short while.. only as a side effect.
    Walking, eating, but no driving for now.
    I am a very young 65.
    Looking for love again after 38 years of marriage.

2 beautiful children. & 2 new beautiful grandchildren.
    I am in NJ. My children are in Pitts.]

Our MS web site should have more UPLIFTING stories.
    Meet your challenges.
    You have a Loving Family. That's GREAT.
    We are All Here for You. Me too.
    Keep in Touch.

Jordan
    Jordan

Originally posted by jmartin0424 View Post
    Hello all. My name is Jessica and I'm 26. Married with a 8 month old boy.

At the beginning of November, I woke up one morning and fell almost as soon as I got out of the bed. Didn't think too much of it. Later that morning, while making a bottle, I dropped it, for no reason, or so I thought. Later, I fell again. As the day progressed, my left leg started dragging behind me and I was starting to lose function of my left hand and my husband and I finally agreed I would go to the ER when both of my legs went numb. To make a VERY long story shorter, after two days of medical testing, and almost being sent home from the ER initially, I was diagnosed with MS. I finally lost complete function of my left hand. I did five days of IV Steroids and then I went to a Rehab in Houston, Texas where I learned the true volume of what was going on. It turns out, I have been living with MS for about 15 years now. I thought everyone had trouble not peeing on themselves. Only had one bowel movement a week. Saw double on and off when they were tired. Saw stars and got dizzy often. Etc...

It's crazy what you can live with if you have to. After three weeks in Rehab, my husband and parents had packed my home and put everything in storage and we moved in with my parents so my mother could stay home with me and my son. A week after being home, I had a second attack leaving about 75% of my body numb and lost the function of my right hand this time. Did seven more days of the IV Steroids and now I'm trying to figure out where my baseline is. I was still recovering from my first attack so I'm not really sure just yet. I have noticed my processing is slower and my attention has been affected. In my case, I feel as though the internal things you can't see have been more affected than the external.

So that's my MS story. Just trying to meet others in my situation. I don't get out much, obviously, but that hasn't really changed anyway. I've done as much reading as I possibly could and feel pretty okay with everything as of now. There are still some unanswered questions, but I don't feel the need to harp on it. Everything will work out one way or another. In the meantime, I have been trying to enjoy my life as much as possible and spend as much energy on my little boy as I can. Yes it has been hard, but I have made it to this point, so I really feel like I can do anything thrown at me. Children are excellent motivators. And as I'm sure a lot of you know, 8 month olds will wait for no one, MS or no!!

Comment

Thank you for your very nice reply

I agree about us trying to be uplifting for each other. It's very easy to get wrapped up in all the heavy of our disease, I think we should try to focus on the positive. There are much worse things out there. And if we are at the point where we are still able to log onto a computer and have a functioning conversation with people, I think we are doing pretty well for ourselves, if I do say so my self!

I'm on Copaxone myself. Not sure if we are going to stay there since I had my second attack so soon after the first, but I will find out about all of that at my Neuro appointment Wednesday.

I think finding out I had MS really helped me realize what is truly important in life. It allowed me the freedom to let go of a lot of the negative floating around in my life. Gave me a good excuse to make a lot of changes. And I'm also more appreciative of the people in my life that have reached out to me during this time, and dumb the people who didn't.

Looking for love huh? That has to be hard in itself! I can only imagine the struggles you must be going thru with that. Good luck though, there are millions of people out there to meet if you are willing to put yourself out there!

It was very nice meeting you, I wasn't expecting a response so soon...
      ~Jessica

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld, Jessica! We're glad you're here and have brought your positive outlook to share. It will carry you far in this journey.

Congrats on your new baby! 8 months is such a cute age. I have grown children living on their own, but I do remember how the little ones in our lives call the shots! Hope you are finding time to rest when you can.

p.s. I had to change the font size in your 1st post as some of us have visual problems reading too large (or too small) of sizes, but no problem! Come back often to share, ask questions and contribute to our wonderful community. I wish you well
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Jessica...wow, you've had quite a journey in such a short time! Mine is the opposite, long, drawn out and still no diagnosis. One thing we have in common though, is that my first numbness (facial) came after the birth of my daughter. I have heard that pregnancy and childbirth are perceived as trauma by the body, (one of many) and often serve as a trigger for MS.

I'd delivered by c-section a month early because of complications, then 12 weeks later began to have severe hemorhagging which resulted in nearly dying, having a D & C, and sadly, opting to have no more children because no one could give me any answers as to what happened, and I didn't want to leave my husband with 2 children if something happened to me.

I, too, had symptoms before the numbness, but I didn't really pay them much attention. Even with the numbness, I asked my gyn at a visit if he ever heard of numbness in the face, and he said not really. I just moved on, i had a new baby to focus on, and it wasn't until 9 years later that I had the BIG one, with multiple sx.

Good luck to you...you are fortunate your Mom is willing to help - that is a real blessing!
          Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

welcome jessica!

congrats on your baby!!!
            i have a 4 mo old grandbaby! who is the light of my life at even 1000 mi. away.

babies are great motivators!
            keep up your positive attitude! it will help you a lot with the MonSter (MS)!

take care and God bless ya!
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Thank you so much

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. It really is amazing to me, as I am meeting more and more people, that we all have such very different stories! And are still united because we have one very important thing in common! I am grateful for new friends.

My baby has been such an amazing inspiration for not just me, but all of my family. I truly believe, even though with him added to everything it made it very difficult on us, that without him, we wouldn't be as positive as we are today. It's hard to be in a bad mood, or feel sorry for yourself, with such a sweet, innocence around. He falls down, but then gets right back up and tries again. He learns new things everyday! Things I didn't even think he was ready for, or old enough for, strong enough for...and he proves me wrong everyday. He gives me so much hope. He's learning how to walk, and about balance, at the same time I am. So we are learning together, and that's such a special bond we will always share.

I wouldn't have these experiences with him if I hadn't found out about my MS. And for that, I am grateful for it. Being diagnosed helped make so much of my life make so much more sense! I thought I just always felt bad all the time, but that everyone did. I was really starting to think that everything I was experiencing was just in my head. "How could anyone have all of these problems at one time, I must be crazy!" So I just kept my thoughts to myself and didn't complain. I pushed thru everything, on my own. So finding out, for me, was almost a relief..."Oh I'm NOT crazy! There really IS something wrong with me!" AND...there is medicine for a lot of it. Is there a cure for MS, well no... BUT, thanks to the wonderful doctors taking care of me so far, I have glasses that cure my double vision, a pill that helps me have better control of my bladder, several that help with the bowels. Minus the obvious of the numbness and having trouble walking, I feel amazing!!! You mean I don't HAVE to pee on myself everyday???? AMAZING!

I know not everyone's story is the same as mine, and believe me, I have had my bad days, but I have to say, I am so much stronger because of this. I think all of us are. Moments of weakness are normal, we just have to try not to live in the negative. That's how I am choosing to look at it anyway. For me, I have no other option, because I want to be as healthy and happy as I can for my little boy. For my family and my friends. For me!
              ~Jessica

Comment

Jessica I really appreciate your attitude ..

.so much has happened in a relatively short time...and you are handling it with grace and a positive attitude---

I am sure your baby boy is going to continue to be a a great source of joy ...and you have your family standing beside you also ...wonderful !
                Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

Originally posted by kif8skip View Post
                  Jessica I really appreciate your attitude ..

.so much has happened in a relatively short time...and you are handling it with grace and a positive attitude---

I am sure your baby boy is going to continue to be a a great source of joy ...and you have your family standing beside you also ...wonderful !

Thank you so much! I am a very lucky woman indeed!
                  ~Jessica

Comment

Jessica

Thank you for sharing your story and your positive attitude. Reading postings like yours reassure me that having MS doesn't have to leave a person with a bad attitude and unaccepting of what's going on. Thank you so much...you've really helped me.
                    Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Melissa

Originally posted by mlissa67 View Post
                      Thank you for sharing your story and your positive attitude. Reading postings like yours reassure me that having MS doesn't have to leave a person with a bad attitude and unaccepting of what's going on. Thank you so much...you've really helped me.
                      Thank you ma'am! I just feel that there is so much with MS that we cannot change or control. But we can change/control our attitudes. It pains me when I read that people have all but given up. I'm glad I could help you, that is very sweet of you to say. I'm here anytime you need someone to talk to!
                      ~Jessica

Comment

Where are you at in Texas? I live in Ft. Worth. I'm just wondering if we're close enough to meet up some time. Thank you for the offer to be available to chat. My email is on my profile. I have struggled with keeping a positive attitude, but your post really did help me.

I would love to keep in touch.

Melissa
                        Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Im also in Fort Worth. Feel free to email Melissa and Jessica (or anyone!). My email is on my profile.
                          Katherine

Comment

hi

I am in Houston.

I had a little boy when I was dxd. He was 3. Now he is 16 and the only one that can pick me up off the floor when I fall. It's a special bonding thing with us.

I have pretty much been on ever MS treatment at some point.

Advice I would give you right now is to watch your calcium levels with the IV steroids. They leech calcium out of your bones and teeth like there's no tomorrow, and there's problems with tooth loss and osteoporosis.

Comment

HEY GUYS! SORRY IT HAS TAKEN ME SO LONG TO REPLY! I LEFT FOR A WHILE, WHILE I FIGURED OUT HOW ALL OF THIS WORKS. AND NOW I'M HERE TO CHAT AGAIN I HOPE YOU ARE ALL DOING WELL. SO SORRY I LOST TOUCH
                              ~Jessica

Comment

Working...
                              X