No announcement yet.

Anyone have a winning story with MS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost feel bad telling my story as I see so many who are having a much worse time with MS than I am. The simple facts are this: I was first diagnosed in 2009. I was on Avonex for a year and a half and it did absolutely nothing for me. I went on Gilenya and it helped but I was still having numbness and tingling issues and my main symptom as always, the anxiety. In July of 2012, I was told by my pcp that I was pre diabetic and needed to do something about it. I started eating right and doing P90X and was able to lose just over 45 lbs. I am happy to report that, since losing the weight, not only am I no longer pre diabetic but my MS symptoms have pretty much vanished. I have lost an additional few pounds since then and have gone from 240 lbs to 187 lbs and loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Jordan -- I'm all in support of winning stories. Our symptoms can improve. And, MS, I've heard, can kind of "burn itself out" as we get into our 60's and 70's and we can do better.

My story is, somewhat, a winning story. I used to have flares once or twice a year, and they used to require a 1-3 week hospitalization. Since I've changed a number of factors (switched to Copaxone, which seems to be more effective for me; changed my diet; lost weight, monitor stress level and health in general carefully, etc), I have not had a hospitalization for almost 3 years, and my last flare was extremely mild, and was more than 18 months ago. My balance is also much improved; I used to require handrails for even 2-3 stairs. Now I can do my basement stairs without (if I am not carrying anything). Some days, my fatigue is better too. I am content with my life. I volunteer (usually 1-3 hours) daily in the community at places of my choice and I've learned to be content being a home-body and finding things to do here the rest of the time.

I would caution against Jerry's stories, however, if they really do claim to be cured, because I think that can raise false hopes. Although we can go into remission for many years, MS remains, another flare could occur, and, there are often residual symptoms from past flares.

In spite of my successes, I am not "cured". I am still on disability. I still take 1-2 naps a day (used to always be 2); I still have to choose what I say yes to and what I say no to very carefully, in order to keep stress reduced; I still cannot carry things that take 2 hands down to the basement, I still need to remain on my medication, etc.

~ Faith
      Your story is VERY inspiring. Thank you for sharing. My biggest problem is muscle tension and tightness. Not sure if its all MS related. I am having a few personal issues which is causing some stress and I am going through "the change" which can cause muscle tension.. but I do try hard to relax.

I am not on any type DMD med.. I still work everyday and other than the tight, tensed up muscles.. I feel pretty good. Although a little stressed.. I am keeping a positive attitude and know things will work out.

I am 53 years young and was told I have MS Feb 2011.. I am in deep denial and will remain that way, so far its working..

Again, thanks for sharing your story...very inspiring and gives me hope.

Ms. Jay

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
        I'm hoping for same - I am on the OMS diet and exercise 6 days a week. But I'm not prepared to say "Do that and you'll be fine". Also, some people are hit very hard and can't get back up, but I have also met some people who are hit not so hard, but then give up and stop moving. I was thinking about it this morning. If I had problems with balance and stopped exercising because of it, I would become weaker and stiffer, so I would have to find a way to keep exercising despite balance issues.
        It is true that some people get hit hard but I have to stay positive. I really think if you stay positive (keep from wearing your body out with stress) eat healthy and so some type of exercise you will be fine or atleast alot better.

I had some balance issues but later found out its pretty normal, my tight hands are normal, every other little detail i was afraid of was MS...normal.

Until my entire body goes numb again I feel normal

Comment

Originally posted by Bandito View Post
          I almost feel bad telling my story as I see so many who are having a much worse time with MS than I am. The simple facts are this: I was first diagnosed in 2009. I was on Avonex for a year and a half and it did absolutely nothing for me. I went on Gilenya and it helped but I was still having numbness and tingling issues and my main symptom as always, the anxiety. In July of 2012, I was told by my pcp that I was pre diabetic and needed to do something about it. I started eating right and doing P90X and was able to lose just over 45 lbs. I am happy to report that, since losing the weight, not only am I no longer pre diabetic but my MS symptoms have pretty much vanished. I have lost an additional few pounds since then and have gone from 240 lbs to 187 lbs and loving it.
          Way to go, Bandito! This is truly a winning story!! Keep up the good work
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

maybe youdontbeliveme

when i notice have ms very happy because very hate my job
            now later 10years rember my job hatemy job too
            butlike my ms saveme from work hated

Comment

Working...
            X