Newly diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed

Hi my names Teri. I was newly diagnosed right before the holidays. I've been fighting symstoms for over 10yrs. though. I'm trying my best to accept and learn. I live with my fiance, my youngest daughter (19) and two small dogs, Mia and Dixie. I have 2 grown daughters as well and my fiance has one. We have 3 very energenic, loving, funning happy Grandkids. I've been at the same job for 27yrs. as a checker at Albertsons. Thank God for the insurance! Just trying to get involved in some of these chats and forum to learn and get to know YOU who are going through this.

Teri welcome to the board. Hpoe you find it as helpful as I have. Lots of great people. Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Originally posted by tjcann00 View Post
      Hi my names Teri. I was newly diagnosed right before the holidays. I've been fighting symstoms for over 10yrs. though. I'm trying my best to accept and learn. I live with my fiance, my youngest daughter (19) and two small dogs, Mia and Dixie. I have 2 grown daughters as well and my fiance has one. We have 3 very energenic, loving, funning happy Grandkids. I've been at the same job for 27yrs. as a checker at Albertsons. Thank God for the insurance! Just trying to get involved in some of these chats and forum to learn and get to know YOU who are going through this.
      Hi Teri: Welcome to MSWorld! I have 2 grown kids too...thank goodness! Though they still tend to ask for money sometimes, what's that all about? I used to be a nurse in the pediatric ICU before MS got the best of me. My husband is an MD who puts up with me on most days, or is it I put up with him...hard to tell. Anyway, glad you came by. Sorry you had to join our club for the MSers. You will find a lot on this site and chat.

Look around...happy to meet you.
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Hi Teri..
        Wow... I know that must have been hard to be told you have MS right around the holiday..hope you were able to enjoy the holiday in spite of the news.

I see where you stated you have been fighting MS for (10) years..I am assuming without meds?? Are you currently on meds?

I was told almost (2) years ago and have been in denial. Not on any type dmd meds..I take small dose Ativan to help with my tight muscles.. helps just a little. But for the most part, I have been doing ok.. accept for the tight muscles.

But I do have a new symptoms which freaked me out.. started my anxiety back up.. my pinky finger on my left hand feels a bit numb.. HATE IT.. I am trying hard to deal with it but its not easy.

I have (2) grown sons and a daughter 20 that lives with us.

Ms. Jay

Comment

helping

Ms J. I wasn't diagnosed until just this yr. 3yrs ago they thought it was MS but decided it wasn't? Now a mo. ago they do spinal tap and MRI and it shows in both. I thought I was doing ok with the news but not really I guess. I've had clinical depression for yrs. and anxiety. Right after New Years my 27yr. old daughter was hospitalized for alcoholism, halucinations and very low potassium. What next right? She has shut me out. I will be starting copaxone on Sun. Nurse coming to my house to teach me injections. Wishing my work could be a bit more understanding. Not really compassionate people. Learning to say how I'm feeling. Asking for what I need. Hugs, ears, answers etc. You hang in there and I'll hang with you. In this together.

Comment

Glad I'm not alone.

My name is Ann Marie and I was diagnosed 2 weeks before Christmas. I've always been a Type A personality, so I ignored signs and chalked it up to getting older. I am a preschool teacher and I have 2 children. A daughter 26 and a son 21. Doctors believe I've probably had MS for about 10 years maybe longer, but symptoms finally became to much for me to ignore anymore. I'm so happy I found this forum, it makes me feel better to know I'm not alone!

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld Ann Marie: I am glad you found the site! I too have two adult kids, two sons. I have had MS for 9 years. I hope you will look around, visit our chat rooms and make yourself at home!

Nice to meet you

Lisa
              Moderation Team
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

Hello

10 years of symptoms? Did you ever think you were going bonkers?

I think knowing is better than not knowing because then you can do more to try to have positive outcomes.

Comment

Not knowing

I started having symptoms over 10yrs. ago. First sign was Bells palsy, then optical neuritis 3 times, vertigo, headaches, brain fog, exaustion etc. With no diagnosis I was really starting to question my mental state. I knew these things were real but my family, friends and co-workers thought I was a hypocondriac. I'm not a mean person but I hope they feel bad now. I do understand that they don't understand this ugly disease, neither do I, but I hope over time they'll be nicer. So nice to have this site to go to.

Comment

I started having symptoms over 10yrs. ago. First sign was Bells palsy, then optical neuritis 3 times, vertigo, headaches, brain fog, exaustion etc. With no diagnosis I was really starting to question my mental state. I knew these things were real but my family, friends and co-workers thought I was a hypocondriac. I'm not a mean person but I hope they feel bad now. I do understand that they don't understand this ugly disease, neither do I, but I hope over time they'll be nicer. So nice to have this site to go to.
                    I completely understand that. Honestly when I would tell my mother that I get these headaches, that nothing can relieve them, that I have neck and back pain (she knew about a ruptured disc in my back), fatigue, some memory problems and this term I learned on here as cog fog. She would just kind of dismiss it like I was still a little kid who thought a scratched up knee was a broken leg.

My mom and I talk almost daily and have a pretty good relationship, and when I had the MRI that showed a C-6 lesion (explained headaches and neck pain) and showed a small inactive lesion in my brain. Then she started doing research and was able to find my symptoms listed under MS. My MRI results came back with impressions of myelitis, MS, or a glioma. It was like I felt this sense of relief that I wasn't actually being a hypochondriac and then scary because of the possibility that I have a life long disease.

Comment

Brandyml Same thing happened with my mother. She was an RN all my life and I think she suspected but was in denial until my diagnosis. I did find out she had been getting the MS newsletter however. As soon as she knew it was for real she's been doing research and been a big help but before I was just depressed. Some days I wish I didn't have a diagnosis but then I remember how bad people treated me before we knew. But boy has it put me in a deep depression. My dad died in Feb. and I'm having a hard time with it and then I became suicidal on Rebif. I guess I just need some hope, and my daddy.

Comment

Working...
                      X