electric chest pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric chest pain

Does anyone get electric feeling shock in the upper chest area? It only last for a few seconds but it's painful and sure knocks the wind out of me...
    I have read that a heart attack does not feel this way - that is is most likely a nerve...
    Anyone had this experience?

I'd strongly recommend going to a doctor.
    Electric shock sensations in the region of your heart is rarely a good thing.
    It may well be neurological, but you don't want to have a heart attack while you're googling symptoms. , or the next electric shock you feel could be via a defibrillator.
    Good luck.

Comment

i did see a doc - not related to my heart at all - I had an echo just a few months ago - all was fine - my husband is a physician too.... just wondering if anyone has this kind of pain - neuralgia or MS? My neuro in town isn't great.... and the MS clinic is 3 hours away and an overnight trip with kids - so we only go once a year.

Comment

Does it happen in a part of your throat/neck too or just your chest?
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

I get these electric shocks in the chest and stomach region...typically at night when I'm trying to go to sleep. All my tests have turned up "negative" for MS...but I'm skeptical. There's no other explanation. Are you on benzodiazepines by any chance? (xanax/klonopin etc) These meds can cause a lot of these abnormal sensations...especially if youre in tolerance/interdose withdrawal.

Comment

THanks all - no I am not on any drugs like that.... and yes only my chest - a quick shock for like 1-2 seconds...that's it.

Comment

I have had this same experience a number of times.

I am not on any of the meds mentioned either. I went to the ER because I too thought it was heart related. I had an echo, heart scan, and the stress test...no heart problems; so I'm assuming its the MS.

I have never mentioned it to my neuro because it lasts only a few seconds. My next visit I think I will ask him.

Comment

You might want to google brachial neuralgia and see if your symptoms fit. Years ago I had a bout of pain like you describe and that was what they suspected.

I have no idea if it has anything to do with MS at all, because I wasn't diagnosed at the time but I was having some wonky neuro symptoms. A PT helped me with stretches and exercises and even though it persisted for awhile just quit happening over time.

Hope you find an answer.

Comment

Electric Chest Feeling

I get an electric feeling in my torso pretty often. It is very annoying. It feels like severe butterflys fluttering for a few minutes and usually when I stand a bit, it goes away. It think it's just a position you are in that causes it. IT also gives me shortness of breath cuz I panic. Hope this helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by meeshkap View Post
                    Does anyone get electric feeling shock in the upper chest area? It only last for a few seconds but it's painful and sure knocks the wind out of me...
                    I have read that a heart attack does not feel this way - that is is most likely a nerve...
                    Anyone had this experience?
                    hey MEESHKAP,

I just had my Prozac refilled, and was reading the pamphlet that drug store gives me, when I refill it. I thought of YOU when I got to a part where it spoke of "electric-type" pain. I was wondering if you were on any antidepressants. If you are, you may want to call the prescribing MD, and let them know of your electric chest pain.
                    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

thanks for thinking of me - I am on Depakote for epilepsy - but a low dose...have been on it since I was 14 - 34 now... I'll look into it.

Comment

nope - checked on my depakote and actually they prescribe depakote to get pain like that to go away. I aven't had it for a while so we'll see.

Comment

I do also!

Comment

Working...
                          X