Social Security vs SS Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I receive Social Security based on my previous work experience… I am nowhere near 60+… And I was told Social Security and Social Security Disability were the same thing considering my age.

Is this true? Or because I am totally disabled, could I be getting Social Security Disability in addition to Social Security based on previous work experience?

Thank you

The Social Security Administration is responsible for a few 'social' programs, such as survivor benefits paid to those who have never worked but were supported as a working spouse, and the dependent child of someone who worked and paid into the social security fund, may qualify for survivor benefits.

SSDI is for adults who due to a disability can no longer work, but who are too young to qualify for Social Security Retirement Benefits. If the disability is life long and there is no possibility of returning to work, the SSDI benefits will convert to SS Retirement benefits at retirement age, 65?. SSDI also provides benefits to dependents (to age 18), of the disabled who qualify for SSDI.

Those born with significient disability, many who will never work due to disability, also qualify for social security income, although they have never worked and probably never will.

There was a time when 'stay at home' mothers did not qualify for Social Security Benefits because they did not work outside the home, did not contribute to the social security fund. If for whatever reason they did not qualify for benefits as the surviving spouse of a deceased worker who contributed to the social security fund, there is Social Security Income program that provides a subsistance income to those individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs2 View Post
      I receive Social Security based on my previous work experience… I am nowhere near 60+… And I was told Social Security and Social Security Disability were the same thing considering my age.

Is this true? Or because I am totally disabled, could I be getting Social Security Disability in addition to Social Security based on previous work experience?

Thank you
      To answer your specific question in paragraph 2....
      No, you cannot receive SSA old age (OA) and SSA disability insurance (DI) payments concurrently. The amount receive through the SSDI program should be close to what your full retirement age benefits would have paid you.

What MSW1963 said about conversion from SSADI to SSAOA is true; that is, when you reach your full retirement age the benefits are switched from DI to OA and done transparently to you. Same payment taken out of different government accounts.

Comment

Hi, everyone. A few comments re the posts in this thread:

Here's a page from SSA's website re: early retirement vs. full retirement - http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/retirechart.htm. It gives ages.

MSW1963 - you referred to the Supplement Security Income program as Social Security Income. I think you meant Supplemental Security Income (SSI). By the way, some stay at home mothers still may not qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (SSDI) (sometimes confusingly referred to as just Social Security benefits) because they have not worked and paid FICA taxes. Also, they may not be eligible for SSI benefits if they live with their spouse and their spouse earns too much money as SSI is a needs based program. So, there are some people who may not qualify under either of SSA's two disability programs - SSDI or SSI although technically medically disabled.

By the way, reference was made in one of the posts to spousal benefits - here's a page from SSA's website concerning those benefits - http://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/spouse.html.

Also, of interest, a person can be receiving early retirement benefits (see the first web link - http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/retirechart.htm) and then qualify for SSDI benefits. In such case, one's benefit would be increased to one's full disability benefit.

Best,

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

guess the "Social Security" is most often used to consult the pension advantages that people receive from the government after turning a certain advanced age. Where as, the Social Security provides a number of different types of advantages, such as advantages to people who have outdated, advantages to people who have become impaired after hanging out in the workforce, and advantages to those who cannot perform due to problems.

Comment

Working...
          X