tingling in face and head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tingling in face and head

I had a weird experience yesterday at work. Got a sudden feeling of heat and stabbing pain in my upper back (I do have bulging discs and spondylosis) (have been having back pain for over a week). But when this happened I got this sudden tingling up thru my face and inside my mouth. It lasted a few minutes (maybe less) but it freaked me out so much I had to get a ride home. I think I had a kind of panic attack after this happened, but I don't think that's what caused it. I was perfectly fine before the tingling. My MS doc thinks the tingling was MS related. Just wondering about your experiences with this.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

My paresthesia (tingling++) is 24/7 in my hands and feet, and sometimes covers my whole skin. I'd never really thought about it before, but that can include my mouth/tongue, too.

I guess it's because I always have some paresthesia, but the coming and going in other areas doesn't faze me. Neither I nor my physiatrist associate it with my back problems (herniated lumbar discs) at all.

I have my largest lesion at C2 for an explanation, but if your spinal problems are high in your cervical spine they could be the cause of your new sx...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Here is my latest spinal mri. Does anyone see anything that could cause tingling?? Thanks.

MR Read
      MRI THORACIC SPINE WITH AND WITHOUT IV CONTRAST: 6/7/12

CLINICAL INFORMATION: Back pain. Multiple sclerosis.

TECHNIQUE: MRI of the thoracic spine was performed both with and without IV contrast administration.

FINDINGS: Comparison study is 6/30/10. Alignment of the thoracic spine appears within normal limits. There are changes of thoracic spondylosis once again noted with disk space narrowing and marginal disk space spurring throughout the mid and lower thoracic spine. Minimal bulging of the disk is noted extending from the mid to lower thoracic spine.

At T6-7 there is a focal disk bulge in the right paracentral region as well as mild flattening upon the right aspect of the thecal sac.

T7-8 demonstrates a small focal disk bulge in the left paracentral region as well as mild flattening upon the thecal sac.

T8-9 demonstrates minimal bulging of the disk and results in slight flattening upon the thecal sac.

T11-12 demonstrates a focal disk protrusion essentially results in a mild flattening upon the thecal sac. This has developed since the previous study. The spinal cord itself appears to be intact within normal signal intensity and

MRI

morphology. No abnormal enhancement or abnormal signal within the thoracic spinal cord.

-

MR Impression
      1. Focal disk protrusion essentially at T11-12 which has developed since the previous study and results in mild flattening upon the thecal sac and it does appear to be associated with an underlying anular tear as well. This superimposed on mild bulging disk unchanged with thoracic spondylosis which appears similar to the previous study. The spinal cord itself has normal appearance with no abnormal enhancement or abnormal signal to suggest involving a mass.

2. Incidental note is made of small hepatic lesions within the liver. which apers to be similar to the previous study of 2010.
      Marti

Comment

I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure nothing below the cervical spine is connected to the face. Your findings are all in the lower half of the thoracic spine, so I really doubt there's any connection between your 'mechanical' spine problems and your tingling.

Is paresthesia an all-new sx for you, or just new in your face?
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Thanks Mark. This sudden facial tingling was out of the blue. I have a slight problem with TN at times and some facial numbness. But this was different. It came on with the back pain and really scared me. All I could think of was stroke or heart attack. But, I'm here... and ok today. My back has been hurting a lot for over a week now.. nothing new.
          Marti

Comment

I have a brainstem lesion that covers crainial nerve V, which causes TN. When it is active, it causes warm feelings in my spine (upper usually), and sometimes pain, and also tingling in my face, mouth and around my head.

It could be just your TN, or the lesion causing it. It is weird for me, like a heating pad on my spine. It try to put ice on it to cool it down, but that only makes it hotter. It is not a lesion on my spine, it is from the brainstem.

Very strange.
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
              I have a brainstem lesion that covers crainial nerve V, which causes TN. When it is active, it causes warm feelings in my spine (upper usually), and sometimes pain, and also tingling in my face, mouth and around my head.

It could be just your TN, or the lesion causing it. It is weird for me, like a heating pad on my spine. It try to put ice on it to cool it down, but that only makes it hotter. It is not a lesion on my spine, it is from the brainstem.

Very strange.

I read your answer to one of my doctor friends. She also has MS and is a wonderful friend and doctor. She totally agrees with your answer and can see my situation as being like yours. I think my last MRI showed a brainstem lesion.. I need to check it again. Thanks. Yesterday I had another tingling thing in my face and then I had burning skin on my back. It was hot to the touch. When I called her she felt this must be neurological.
              Marti

Comment

I am glad you have someone like that to talk to. Its weird right? Like Icy Hot. I once had it for a week straight. It is hot to the touch, really hot.
                Tysabri

Comment

I am glad you have someone like that to talk to. Its weird right? Like Icy Hot. I once had it for a week straight. It is hot to the touch, really hot.

Cyclist.. I wonder if you get this tingling once a day for several days in a row? This has happened 3 days now. Very scary. Thanks again
                  Marti

Comment

I get it a couple times a day every day in general, but several times a day all day and night if I am in exacerbation. So it depends. I get used to it, it is more of an annoyance after a while. The hotness on my spine though I do not like and am happy it is of short duration on a daily basis. When I am in exacerbation it is constant. That is until I get IVSM for 5 days.

Hope that helps. I can feel the heat of it right now as I type and a tingle in my head on the right side. It is OK as long as it leaves in a minute.
                    Tysabri

Comment

You may be gearing up for a big exacerbation, keep an eye on it. If it starts to last longer, give your neuro a call back. My long ones end in extreme weakness in my hands. Just something to watch. Forgot to say it in my last post.
                      Tysabri

Comment

You may be gearing up for a big exacerbation, keep an eye on it. If it starts to last longer, give your neuro a call back. My long ones end in extreme weakness in my hands. Just something to watch. Forgot to say it in my last post.
                        Thank you again so much. This is a new one for me. I have noticed pain and a little tingling in my hands too. And some chest pain. I have costochondritis too. I also have Graves disease and IBS. Quite a combo. I really appreciate your answers. Best to you.
                        Marti

Comment

Working...
                        X