Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech

About two years ago I started to get hoarse. That gradually got worse until I lost my voice completely. Now I cannot speak at all. I went to see an ENT doctor while I still had some voice. He told me there was a tremour in the back of my throat but everything else including the vocal cords were fine. was and that the problem might be from Acid Reflux. This has never been a problem for me.

I went to see a neurologist who told me the problem was not from MS. I really don't know how he would know. He did no test or suggested I have a test done. Now I cannot speak and they tell me nothing is wrong.

Can anyone tell me if they have had similar problems and what you did about it. I find this very frustrating. I am positive this is MS at work.

Lois

Originally posted by 1936siol View Post
    About two years ago I started to get hoarse. That gradually got worse until I lost my voice completely. Now I cannot speak at all. I went to see an ENT doctor while I still had some voice. He told me there was a tremour in the back of my throat but everything else including the vocal cords were fine. was and that the problem might be from Acid Reflux. This has never been a problem for me.

I went to see a neurologist who told me the problem was not from MS. I really don't know how he would know. He did no test or suggested I have a test done. Now I cannot speak and they tell me nothing is wrong.

Can anyone tell me if they have had similar problems and what you did about it. I find this very frustrating. I am positive this is MS at work.

Lois
    Hoarseness and loss of voice can be from MS. If the vagus nerve is affected, it can cause hoarseness or whispering, but I'm no doctor, just know that I have hoarseness and it's chalked up to my MS.

Neil Cavuto who's has a financial cable show, and MS, had his vocal cords operated on a few years ago, to try to get his voice back...he was becoming more and more hoarse. The surgery did improve the quality of his voice, somewhat, but I still notice it when I happen on his show.

An ENT can look down your throat with a scope and should be able to identify vocal cord paralysis, and I imagine a speech pathologist could also do an evaluation and quantify your speech problems.

Definitely get a second opinion...google hoarseness and multiple sclerosis and you'll come up with lots of info.

Comment

Working...
    X