Workplace disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workplace disaster

I guess this is partially a rant, partially some venting. I've been living with MS for over 2 years now and this is the first time I can honestly say that I feel like I have experienced discrimination in the workplace. I have had various issues in the past that I might describe as borderline harassment but never discrimination.

I have been with my employer for 5 years. I've worked hard, got good performance reviews, and always taken the initiative. I have had attendance issues because of the MS, but as I've moved on to more effective treatment options things have gotten a lot better. A year into Gilenya, I haven't had a single relapse. I was optimistic about working and focusing on my career future as opposed to struggling to make it through the day.

There is only so much room for growth at the office I work at. Openings are scarce, and there can be a lot of competition. Originally, when I took this position I was told there was a distinct career path and I was keen on following it. The first time a position opened on my path, I was going through a relapse and was just in a bad place. I didn't apply for it and a coworker got it and moved up. I was ok with that since it wasn't feasible for me at the time.

Two months ago the position was listed again. I felt very confident going forward with applying for it. I interviewed, I was tested on my writing and math skills, and I had a good feeling. I'm a glass half empty kind of guy so I didn't feel like I was a shoe in. Which was good, because they didn't offer me the position.

At the time, I was disappointed but not entirely shocked. My office doesn't have a great track record for promoting from within. I was given a meeting to discuss why I didn't get the position and they told me I was lacking an "advanced" degree. This was not a requirement for the position. I have an associate's degree and over 15 years of working experience so I figured that had to count for something. They even suggested going back to school which I found slightly offensive. School is not free, and with the MS, I'm lucky to make it through a full 40 hour week let alone trying to go back to school.

I went back to my workstation disappointed but coping. Five minutes before they announced who got the job, one f my supervisors came to me and told me that they failed to tell me in the meeting that they hired one of my peers; someone who has been in the position for all of one month. I was floored. I asked if they value education over actual work experience and I got a lot of who shot John instead of an actual answer.

It was at that point that I asked about advancement opportunities now. I was told there could be lateral moves where I'm at but I'd probably need to look outside the organization for advancement. This really ticked me off. I felt like at the moment they were basically telling me if I want to move up I need to leave.

I really can't help but feel like the MS is why they didn't promote me. I really don't say that lightly either. I've struggled with this feeling for over two weeks now and I can't shake it. I have taken steps to file a formal discrimination complaint. I'm not sure what, if anything, will come from it but I feel like I have to do something. If I don't stand up for myself, who will?

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I really had to get that off my chest to people who might understand what I'm going through. I have supportive friends but they don't really know what it feels like to be judged on your illness and not your merits.

That's horrible, I've been there, different circumstances though. I do know that I was discriminated against... I can't stand people who cry discrimination with no valid reason. When push comes to shove, every person on the face of the earth could come up with a discrimination complaint if needed (age, sex, race, health, having kids, etc.) so I really couldn't believe this was happening to me. Like you, I didn't say "discriminated against" lightly.

I don't want to go into it on a public message board but my email is in my profile if you would like to know the gory details. I live in Canada so i don't know if I would be of any help to you though.

The best advice I could give you is keep detailed notes of everything. As the saying goes, when you smell a rat... there's at least 50 you don't.

Also be careful of something called "Constructive Dismissal" where they make it so unbearable for you to work there that you end up quitting. This can be anything from blatant harrassment to not giving you a well-deserved promotion.

It's really hard to prove that this is going on, especially due to discrimination. This was more my case, where fear of potential disability was guiding the company's actions. I was a 9 year exemplary employee... until I got sick.

In the end, I was able to prove it and I would have never forgiven myself if I had just sat back and let it happen. They took away my inherent right to be treated with dignity and respect in the workplace.

This is not a small company, it's a name that's known world wide with hundreds of thousands employees including my husband, a 30+ year employee, my 2 brothers in-law 25+ years and father-in-law retired after 47 years from this company. I would have never gone this route if I was not truly discriminated against with so much family working there.

I urge you to get the advice of a lawyer who would better advise you on what your next steps should be. If you have a Human Rights Commission they may also be able to help. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
    X