No announcement yet.

"Depression" The chicken or the Egg Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marti- for me, depression is like being in a deep dark hole. You can't see any footholds and scramble at the walls trying to get out. Anxiety is more like standing on the very pointy tip of a mountain, surrounded by animals and sharp rocks and all kinds of danger, and if you teeter too far one way then you are doomed.

I have struggled with both long before MS was dx, but it became worse about a year before any other symptoms, and got worse again after dx. This makes me thing I had a chicken, egg and omelette combo-initially a chemical imbalance and genetic pre-disposition (my mother's side are all worry-warts), made worse by lesions, then exaggerated by the stress and grief involved with MS.

Comment

Originally posted by melwah View Post
      Marti- for me, depression is like being in a deep dark hole. You can't see any footholds and scramble at the walls trying to get out. Anxiety is more like standing on the very pointy tip of a mountain, surrounded by animals and sharp rocks and all kinds of danger, and if you teeter too far one way then you are doomed.

I have struggled with both long before MS was dx, but it became worse about a year before any other symptoms, and got worse again after dx. This makes me thing I had a chicken, egg and omelette combo-initially a chemical imbalance and genetic pre-disposition (my mother's side are all worry-warts), made worse by lesions, then exaggerated by the stress and grief involved with MS.

This is what I understood. I am not depressed. Very anxious.. yes. Why did my doctor order Prozac????
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
        This is what I understood. I am not depressed. Very anxious.. yes. Why did my doctor order Prozac????

Marti - Prozac is sometimes used for anxiety. Here is an article about just that. It is important to keep in touch with your doctor about your dosage and if you have any adverse side affects. If taken in high doses, it can cause more anxiety.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5544140_proz...d-anxiety.html
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
        X