Quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question

Hi, I'm so new to all this and it seems like there are some very good answers given here so any help would be appreciated. When I was going to doctor appts, going through testing, etc. before my Dx and taking lots of time off for it, I felt the need to give my boss an explanation. I told him that my Doctor thinks I may have MS. I received my Dx after that but didn't talk about it again to my boss and haven't talked to anyone else at work about any of it. Does this mean I disclosed already? I don't have a need to disclose but if I already have I wouldn't worry about trying to keep everything to myself anymore. It seems like a lot of my coworkers talk about their health issues at work and sometimes I've felt like talking about it. I won't though if it could damage my career.

I personally would not assume anything at this point.

Disclosing is not a formal declaration made to your boss or company.

Your boss may have considered it something you disclosed in confidence and/or maybe your disclosure has not gone any further, possibly forgoten about entirely.

I would not offer clarification about your DX if you don't require accomodation from your employer and if you have no visible signs of illness.

If/when you do need to request accomodation at work, a disclosure/DX should not be required and I would not disclose.

Disclosing a long term illness with expensive life time treatment covered under your employer's health, disability and pension plans, can set into motion a desire by the company to reduce or eliminate those potential claims in the future.

Annual job reviews and raises/increase in income, has the potential to increase your liability to the company for income based benefits such as STD, LTD, 401k and pension benefits, plus the 'burden' of complying with annual FMLA leave.

I would disclose only when necessary and only if it were in my financial interest to do so.

Best of luck, I hope you are able to work for many years to come and in good health.

Comment

Thanks for your help! Nothing else will be said about it at work.

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
        I personally would not assume anything at this point.

Disclosing is not a formal declaration made to your boss or company.

Your boss may have considered it something you disclosed in confidence and/or maybe your disclosure has not gone any further, possibly forgoten about entirely.

I would not offer clarification about your DX if you don't require accomodation from your employer and if you have no visible signs of illness.

If/when you do need to request accomodation at work, a disclosure/DX should not be required and I would not disclose.

Disclosing a long term illness with expensive life time treatment covered under your employer's health, disability and pension plans, can set into motion a desire by the company to reduce or eliminate those potential claims in the future.

Annual job reviews and raises/increase in income, has the potential to increase your liability to the company for income based benefits such as STD, LTD, 401k and pension benefits, plus the 'burden' of complying with annual FMLA leave.

I would disclose only when necessary and only if it were in my financial interest to do so.

Best of luck, I hope you are able to work for many years to come and in good health.
        I agree 100%.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
        X