Son just diagnosed with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son just diagnosed with MS

My son was assaulted in Califonia one year ago. They kicked his head in and left him for dead. They crushed the left side of his skull and fractured a few other places. He has some brain damage, he can not see very well, no short term memory, etc. etc. He had no insurance so it had taken me this long to get him on medicaid. Before he went to the Dr he was slurring his speach real bad for about a week, then it went away. He also lost the use of one leg and his hand was numb. That lasted about 3 weeks, then went away I told the Dr this and thought it might be from the brain trying to "rewire"The Dr.ordered a MRI and a Spinal tap for my son. Then told me he had RRMS and that a nurse would be coming to the house to show him how to inject himself with Betaseron. I have a million questions but my biggest concern right now is he also has Hep C. Are all these medicines about the same as far as affecting the liver?Thanks for any help, glad i found this web site

Bummer

I am sorry the reason you are here but glad you found the site. Check the National MS Society site to see info about the different shots. I am not sure how they all affect the liver. I know Avonex can and that I will need to have mine checked periodically.
    ALLISON

Comment

Hi yourlittlered

OMG..I'm so sorry for the attack on your son...brutal!

Yes Betaseron can effect the liver, but with regular blood tests the Doctor can detect any problems before it progresses. I have been injecting for 18+ years and have not had any liver enzyme problems (knock on wood)

I'm kind of partial to Betaseron, I did consider switching due to the side effects...but I did work full time when I started and am a single parent. I am better now then I was 18 years ago, which may or may not be due to the Betaseron.

Premedicating with Ibuprofen or similar and rotating many injection sites is important. I hope you learn to give injections also. My preferred spot is the back of my arm, and because my daughter does the injection!

take care and come back often
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Welcome to the boards. I am sending you my prayers. I have little more I can offer. Good luck

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

With that said I have had some head injurys my self....wonder how many other males with MS have had head injurys.

Comment

I'm so sorry about your son, that's just tragic. He's very lucky to have such a devoted parent. I have no experience with Betaseron but if it's his liver you're concerned about, COpaxone doesn't affect the liver. It's a daily shot but might be worth asking his doctor about.

Take care, you are both in my prayers.
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Sorry about your son. What a horrible thing to happen, and then to discover he has MS!

Do ask about Copaxone. No liver damage with that medication. It also has very few side effects.

Best of luck to the both of you!
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

thanks all

"Sorry to hear that.

With that said I have had some head injurys my self....wonder how many other males with MS have had head injurys"

This is one of my problems. I would say the last month his personality has really changed. He is irritated, agitated . Reminds me of a 14 year old! I am trying my best to remember who is the parent here. Trying to figure out if this is the head injury or the MS. Thanks for listening. It does help

Comment

Choose a healing method.

Hi,

In my experience all illness starts with an imbalance,a break down in vitality whether it be taught or experienced. In your sons case sadly it sounds like the experience and injuries he sustained have brought on many illnesses.He needs to heal from the experience to gain vitality to fight off other illnesses.In solving the root of the cause he will start to heal.In my experience I would look towards finding a good healer. best Wishes for the future x

Comment

Originally posted by yourlittlered View Post
                    "Sorry to hear that.

With that said I have had some head injurys my self....wonder how many other males with MS have had head injurys"

This is one of my problems. I would say the last month his personality has really changed. He is irritated, agitated . Reminds me of a 14 year old! I am trying my best to remember who is the parent here. Trying to figure out if this is the head injury or the MS. Thanks for listening. It does help

Keep me update because im interested.

I get irritated too but I thought it was because I stopped smoking. Actually since I stopped smoking I feel weaker

Comment

Originally posted by yourlittlered View Post
                      "Sorry to hear that.

Your neuro can help figure out if the changes are due to TBI (traumatic brain injury) but let's assume for a moment that even though MS can happen without anyone being assaulted like that (argh, i am so angry at those *******s) MS does involved an injured brain.

And either way from my own experience (note i am still in limbo land) i know my personality has changed and i get agititated and irritated. maybe this is because i have frontal damage. maybe this is because i am supremely frustrated at what's happening to me and the lack of control i have over it.

i.e. i am saying its possible your son is irritated and agitated simply because the situation is effecting him in that way, not just because of the injury. to be emotionally effected by any serious diagnosis - normal. to be emotionally effected by being bashed - normal. put together and his emotions are not surprisingly all over the shop and then add a TBI and who the hell knows, maybe it amplifies it or doesn't, maybe it changes how he responds to the feelings, maybe it doesn't. either way not surprising his moods are changing.

please take him to a therapist to help him process the trauma of being bashed and make sure the neuro looks at his MRIs and so forth to help any influence this may or may not be having on him.

he needs to be loved and to know he is safe and can control his life. he lost control and safety when he was bashed. he lost it again when it turned into MS. of course he is pissed off.

hugs to you and your son
                      ---------
                      Wishing everyone luck and as many good days as possible.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words

This MS thing has me baffled. The agitated mood has disappeared. It lasted about 3 weeks and i didnt think i was going to make it with him. He was going toe to toe with me every night. His Dr. Is not the easiest to get hold of so the questions i have i am using this board to try and find answers. I do have a appointment for him with a mental health clinic to address his other issues.

Comment

OMG! I am SO very sorry about your son! That is just beyond terrible.

I am happy you have found this forum, and hope you find a lot of help and support here.

I have been both a caregiver and in the last few years, find myself needing more and more care. Neither side of the fence is an easy place to be. I can't even being to imagine how much more difficult all this is for both of you, with all he's been through.

Please know that people do care and I sincerely hope you will come here often for support, seeking answers/advice, or just to vent.

I do know that acting as one of two main caregivers for my Mom for years, you MUST fine a release valve, somewhere, somehow! Even if you must pound on the doors of your community service agencies, please, please ensure you get some kind of physical and emotional help for yourself. Of course for your son as well, but you will not be any help to him if you don't find a way to keep yourself healthy and sane!

Sending you many Hugs now! Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat and/or rant privately.

Comment

Son (27) recently diagnosed with MS

I have been reading your posts about head injury. My step-son had two concussions in high school playing football and many more since that time. I think there is definitely a connection.

Comment

Working...
                            X