No announcement yet.

Thinking of resigning and applying for unemployment or short term disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of resigning and applying for unemployment or short term disability

Anyone have any experience with nj unemployment or disability? I currently work as an esthetician where I perform facials and massage using my hands all day and I am having trouble with spasticity and numbness. I know that it's very hard to get disability but what about resigning due to medical issues? I just don't know what else to do as this is becoming a problem for me. Any suggestions? Thanks

It is my understanding that if you resign you aren't eligible for unemployment so investigate that further before making a move.

Is there anything else you can do for employment that might not require using your hands so much? From what I hear unless you have like a government pension etc. disability income is usually pretty minimal. Good luck.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I am not familiar with NJ unemployment regs., but in general, eligibility for unemployment requires that you be available and able to work. Claiming disability to support your claim for unemployment benefits may actually disqualify you for unemployment benefits.

For STD, disability in general and FMLA leave of absence, it is important that you have the support of you doctor.

It also depends on the definition of disability in your employer's STD policy. Paraphrasing the 2 possible definitions of disability in the policy:

'unable to perform esential functions of the job' you were hired or are currently required to perform

or

'unable to perform functions of any job'

There are typically other eligibility, waiting periods, and exclusions for prexisting conditions in the disability policy that you need to be aware of.

HR is required to provide you with a copy of the STD policy within X? days, typically 15?, maybe 30? working days, from the date your written request.

A stratagy to consider is filing for FMLA to maintain your employee status, allowing you time to consult with your neuro, know terms of policies and complete and file claims for benefits. Federal regs for companies required to comply with FMLA is a minimum of 50? employees.

Again, it will be important to have your doc's support when filing for FLMA.

As a former employee vs being an active employee as time of onset of disability, you no longer meet the terms of eligibility for benefits.

Using your hands for massage therapy seems to be esential to performance of you job, and would be important info when talking with your doc about FMLA and/or STD.

Google is a good source for researchingr NJ unemployment and FMLA regs.

Good luck.

Comment

Applying for STD

Hi Wookieland!

I am currently on STD/FMLA through my employer which lasts for 90 days and will be ending next week, I have since applied for LTD in which I am paying into from my employee benefits. I am waiting to get approved and then I can apply for SSDI as well. Check with your HR dept and see what they offer for STD/FMLA benefits and take advantage of them if you need them. I cannot return to work since I have balance and memory issues and worked in an engineering accounting dept. After I receive word that the LTD has been approved, I will apply for SSDI which I am entitled to collect as well. I hope your benefits are good and wish you lots of luck, be prepared for a lot of paper work and cooperation from your doctors.
        Maggienor

Comment

Need Guidance

I am experiencing the same thing with wanting to or needing to resign from my job. I was dx in 2009 with RRMS I was bedridden for 3 months, my exacerbation was very intense, my entire bottom half of my body was numb. I was on steroid infusions twice during that time. I went on medical leave from a job I had started only 3 months prior to my dx. I was unable to return for many reasons one being it was a 2 hour commute roundtrip and my feet never fully recovered. I applied for disability but was denied. I didn't pursue it. I went back to work at a new job in retail close to home. Since then I recovered well but never regained full feeling in my feet and right hand. I am still employed its been 3 years now, I was promoted to asst. Mgr in this high volume store and felt like I got my groove back from years ago my competitiveness and striving to be the best not even MS was going to keep my down. I was feeling so good I was convinced the doctors and test results and MRI's were all WRONG! Until this past holiday season. I don't know what happened to me in the last few months I am extremely fatigued and constantly drained. My body is severely exhausted. This season really did me in, the standing for hours upon hours, the very long days and weekends, 2 days off a week just aren't enough. I can't leave work without an excruciating headache. The constant chatter makes my head feel like I am hungover. I work for a good company and make a good paycheck desperately needed. I have medical benefits for the family My most recent MRI in November showed new lesions I have to wonder if the stress I am under and the inability to acclimate my body to any kind of dmd's caused the significant changes. I am not sure if that news put me over the edge and sent me in a very dark place and deep depression. I put on such a facade each and every day. I have not disclosed my condition to my management team I don't feel I need to. I don't need any modifications to my duties besides it would be impossible to perform my job sitting down. I contemplated applying for FMLA until I can figure this out and simply just rest but I do not want my team to know anything. This has completely taken a toll on me and my marriage. My husband is being an incredibly strong crutch but at the end of the day the simple truth is I can't just quit my job. We live paycheck to paycheck. It seems just when we feel we are catching up and possibly getting ahead something drastic happens like a significant increase on property taxes..I was searching for a new job for the last month and came up with absolutely nothing that would help me stay employed and not be so stressed out. A much calmer environment would probably do the trick. I finally broke down and contacted the MS Society today they are mailing me employment oppurtunities to begin to inquire about. My question is this: Has anyone had any experience seeking employment through MS Society? I need some light shed on my very dark world. I need something to look forward to. I need a therapist I am finally admitting defeat. Don't know what to do next..

Comment

I'm still employed but i have been on sick for 6 months now. I've only just started taking treatment. I've got a weak leg and poor balance. I work on a steelworks driving earthmovers although other tasks are involved. I'm still not fit enough to work nor do i know if i ever will be. I've applied for benefits and I'm waiting for replies although I'm entitled to some weather i work or not like a car for mobility reasons. I was really hoping that i could return to work but now i just think bugger it, if i can i will but if i can't i'll do something else like a university degree of some sort.

Comment

Working...
            X