Dreaded interview question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreaded interview question

I had a good job and performed well (positive reviews, consistent raises) for a few years. I didn't disclose, and had no visible symptoms. Earlier this year, I had a flare and had to go on STD for a couple of months and was subsequently let go.

If and when I would be fortunate to get an interview for a new job how would you recommend that I handle the question: Why did you leave your former job?

I can't say they fired me because once they found out that I had MS, they saw it as a liability.

Thanks.

Hi Andy:
    What did your former employer tell you was the reason for letting you go? Your story has to be crafted around that, whether or not you think their stated reason is accurate.

Your former employer isn't likely to tell anyone that they fired you illegally. So if your former employer gives a reason for dismissal (many companies won't, for legal reasons) to someone calling to verify information, your story has to be close to theirs. They may not say that they dismissed you for going out on STD, but there's no reason for them to not say that you couldn't perform the job even after returning from STD. But if you don't think they'll mention STD, then you shouldn't either. That's why it's to your advantage to work your explanation around theirs.

Comment

Hi Redwings,

Thanks for responding.

I was told that it was because I would be transitioning from STD to LTD. I was unable to tell them exactly when I would be able to return. My position was filled two months after I was offically let go.

Comment

This can be pretty dicey for most job applicants, particularly when a health/medical condition results in legal termination of employment.

There are few laws regulating what a former employer can disclose to a prospective employer about a former employee.

The tight job market and high unemployment numbers means regulators are inclined to look the other way.

Most large companies have implemented very strict policies in recent years that limit disclosure to confirming dates of employment and salary. The limitations on disclosure are intended to avoid litigation by a former employee in a civil case against a former employer.

There's probably liability if a former employer does not disclose illegal or criminal employment activity to a prospective employer.

Disclosing your medical info is a violation of HIPAA, but disclosing that you were out on STD medical leave is probably legal.

Some HR hiring personel do speak 'code' when dicussing employment history. For instance there was a time when a former employer replied in the negative to the 'Would you rehire?" question, it was considered a negative job reference. On the other hand, some companies today have a strict 'no rehire' policy, particularly in entry level/retail positions.

Your best course of action is to KNOW in advance what your former employer will disclose about you to prospective employers. Knowing in advance what will be disclosed will help you tailor your response to the dreaded interview question.

Even a negative reference from a former employer can be overcome if you are otherwise credible and interview well. For instance, conficts with a harsh manager in the workplace can be explained in a manner that is sympathetic to the job applicant, provided you avoid the appearence that you are 'dissing' your former manager or employer.

Here's a link with suggestions such as hiring a professional 'checker'. An alternative is to contact your former employer and ask what will be disclosed to a prospective employer since you are in the job market again.

Best of luck in your job search.

Comment

oops..

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/backgr...yerscansay.htm

Not sure if I forgot to copy or if links are blocked, but I googled the phrase "employer disclose information about a former employee" found ask.com employment section.

best of luck.

Comment

Thanks

I may need to look into a referral service.

When HR called to inform me that I was being terminated, I was told, "You will have to be very creative to find the right position for you with your illness." That statement could be interpreted different ways. Based on my knowledge of the firm and the tone in which it was said, I am quite wary.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Andy,

Simple answer to a not so simple situation "Illness in the family" then smile and stop talking. If they press you for more info, just say "it has resolved".

There are situations that call for a lawyer - this is one of them. If you suspect your former employer is bad mouthing you, or you want to control what they say in a reference a nice lawyers letter may be in order. Plus what they did is illegal.

Comment

Trestle, illness in the family is exactly what I said to explain why I left last job and employment 'gap'.

Forgot all about that and it's one of the best responses because it is truthful without disclosing medical history, unless the interviewer crosses the legal limitations.

Comment

Working...
                X