considering reducing hours at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

considering reducing hours at work

I am a technician for a cable company. The job is physically demanding, some days i am upa nd down stars for hours. keeps me in great shape but it is getting very dificult for me. I have a partner that has had 3 major spine surguries so most of the house work, yard work, and care of the pets falls on me. With a demanding job on top of that i am just not keeping up. I am so exhuasted all the time I have to force myself out of the chair. I am afraid if I ask to reduce my hours I will lose my job, which can't happen because I am the medical insurance provider for myself and partner. Any advise would be welcome.
    RRMS DX FEB. 2009
    At least now I have an excuse for being clumbsy and absent minded

I'm not sure if your industry offers health benefits for part-time employment but many do if you are willing to pay more for the coverage. Is there another career you might be better suited for now that MS is in the picture?

I'm all about planning for the future when possible and would worry that going to part-time isn't going to be enough money to support two people. I would also wonder how long you will be able to continue even part-time if your physical condition is the reason you had to cut back on hours.

I hate this disease.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

If you are not comfortable with the current job, just switch it. Health is wealth. Health comes first. If you are facing too much physical difficulties then start searching other job which requires less physical strength and just leave current job.

Comment

Reducing current hours may result in reduced benefits, particularly replacement income benefits like STD, LTD and company retirement benefits that may be based on current part-time income versus the 5, 10, or 20 years you worked at full time income.

Comment

You might have to weigh various options:
          1. Reducing hours at current job. Risking losing job. Or, possibly losing benefits, both short-term and long-term.
          2. Switching jobs. If you believe you are still able to work FT, but, not at a job that requires so much physical labor, that might be an option. Whether you are likely to find a replacement job, of course, would depend on a lot of factors, including your age, education, experience, the local economy and job market, etc. You may also reduce income, benefits, etc if you make a job switch.
          3. If you believe that working FT would be difficult, even in a different job, SSDI (disability) might be an option. You can still work part time while collecting disability. There is a forum here at MSWorld that offers information regarding SSDI, or, you could contact an attorney who specializes in SSDI applications in your area. You should be able to get a consultation for no charge, and you could ask lots of questions there.

There may be other options too. But, yes. Your health is primary. Please consider ways to preserve that, even if it might mean a reduction in income.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X