Urinary Diversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urinary Diversion

Has anyone in the group had a urinary diversion. If so could you tell me how it has worked out for you. It looks like I could be having one in the near future.

Lois

have had UTIs and meds to treat them. Have investigated botox option. What is a urinary diversion[I]?
    [I]Tellnhelen
    Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Uninary Diversion

Uninary Diversion is removal of the bladder. A part of the intestine is used to create a new outlet. A stoma is made on the right side of the abdominal wall and a bag attached to hold the urine. That is OK if there is not a lot of damage to the kidneys. I have to do more thinking on it I think.

Lois

Comment

Hey Lois,

I've never heard of this for MS. I thought Suprapublic Catheter was the "last" option...or one of those implants they use in your back.

What would necessitate this drastic a procedure? Is it because the catheter option just doesn't work anymore?

We did have a woman on the boards a few years ago, that due to intense gastroparesis had her most of her intestines removed, and if I remember correctly part of her small intestines connected to her rectum. Wonder if somebody remembers who that was?

Anyway, I'd like to hear your story...if you're up to telling it.

Comment

Urinary diversion

I have gotten tired of emergency rooms, paracenthesis, catheriziations that don 't work. The surgery was suggested as a possible solution. Just afraid there might be damage to the kidney that could create a new set of problems.

Lois

Comment

Working...
          X