Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moods Swings?

Hi all...

I am still really new to this MS stuff. I want to know about mood swings, does anyone else get them. I swear one minute I am fine and the next I want to cry, or scream , or go off on someone....anyone. I just can't deal with this at times. Makes me want to SCREAMMMMMMMMM.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    AnnaMae aka Tracy

I lose my temper when I'm hot or when I am trying to do something that I used to do quite easily (like typing this ), but that now hurts my back or is troublesome. If you're very concerned talk to your doctor. Since going on disability, I feel a little less angry--lonely, but not so much angry.
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaMae7 View Post
      Hi all...

I am still really new to this MS stuff. I want to know about mood swings, does anyone else get them. I swear one minute I am fine and the next I want to cry, or scream , or go off on someone....anyone. I just can't deal with this at times. Makes me want to SCREAMMMMMMMMM.

Thanks for letting me vent.
      AnnaMae aka Tracy
      Most of us know exactly what you are talking about!

It seems as though you are on Copaxone, so it is probably not a depression induced by the meds, "just" your MS...how do you like that. By that I mean mood swings.

This can be caused by lesions in specific areas in your brain, and it can also just be a combination of your overall health status and everything you are going through.

I have lesions in my brainstem that cause me to have labile emotions (cry one minute...laugh the next...crazy stuff). I take Trileptal and Topamax for trigeminal neuralgia also due to these lesions, and it comes with the bonus of stabilizing my mood.

They do come with side effects though, so I would only recommend meds if you need them. The anti-seizure meds help with nerve pain as well as stabilize mood instead of just a simple anti-depressant.

You might also want to try the nutritional board. I tried therapy, but it didn't help the lesions (ha ha!)...they wanted medication. It did help with communication in my family overall though, so it was worth it.

Sorry you are dealing with this. Talk to your neurologist or primary care doc about it (if they are knowledgable about MS). Don't just suffer through it.
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Bad Mood!!!!!

I am in a "bad mood!" today. I got a little annoyed at something this morning, but I am really "out of control" angry today.....

I feel like making a drastic change in my life. I know this must have something to do with the MS., because I am uncontrollably irritable.......

Does anyone else suffer from this irritability? There's no stopping it at this moment.....

I'm drinking some wine, but need a bit more, to calm it down......

Comment

Mood Swings

I was told I had lesions in my brain stem, too; but nobody told me what they meant!!!

I'm glad you're doctor was a better communicator with you, so I could learn a little about my own

volatile mood swings. I've been in a very irritable mood today..... It's really hard to control....

I feel like I need to make a big change in my life, but that's probably part of my lesions talking....

Do you ever feel like you're going to do something rather bizarre to get out of the irritable mood?

Sometimes I feel like I need to just get up, and leave my husband, and move somewhere......

We didn't even have a fight or anything. I just have to get out of this irritability....

Comment

I could also have written this, my wife calls me Jekyll/Hyde. I do not know that it is going to happen, but I do know that after it does, I feel terrible. I know that whomever I lash out at did not do a thing to deserve it.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Mood swings

I have really bad mood swings when I take lyrica I was on quite a low dose to start with which was ok, but when the Neuro increased the amount I seem to turn into raving lunatic, very angry, snapping at everyone and feeling quite suicidal, it was a nasty time . Really wondered how my family manage d to deal with me as thet were at the end of all my ranting and ravings . Now I am on a lower dose the rankings are more controllable, but the pain levels are of course higher.

Hope this helps someone
              Min

Comment

I hit an emotional wall, not good

I know what you all mean. I hit an emotional wall a couple of weeks ago or more and can't snap out of it. I am sad, mad and feel alone though my husband and son are great. I went to a psychiatrist in January to see how to cope with MS better. She said she didn't need to see me regularly and suggester Mindfulness Meditation.

I downloaded a program for it and I do it every day but I am still DOWN. I am going to make an appointment with her again since talking to my husband when I am this way must hurt him and I don't want to make it worse for him than it already is.

I have nothing to offer on how to get out of the bad mood but you are not alone. It does help to share here.

Comment

Mood Swings

I also have mood swings I don't even know when it happens un til hubby tells me and then we start arguing and he knows I can't help it but it still upsets him.

Last Sept when I was in the nursing home I had one of my mood swings on one of the nurses aid but she deserved it all I wanted is for my sheets to be changed where the nurse spillled water on them, and I told the nurse my sheets had to be changed and she said they wil dry so maybe that set my mood swing when then nurses aid came into my room.

I know one dr says I have a lesion on my brain stem

Shoo
                  Shoo

Comment

mood swings

I suffer from mood swings not pleasant people don't understand and you don't even understand d what's going on hard to explain even with meds i get them

Comment

It may have nothing to do with lesions, at all.

You find out you have a seriously bad disease, or things get worse with it, it is very hard to maintain an even temper.

Anxiety, anger, fear, happy-flappy joy when things go okay. It's sort of normal.

Comment

Hi Annamae7 Hi guys, I don't know about mood swings with me and MS my anger is with myself when I can't do what I use to, even picking something up it sometimes takes me 4 or 5 goes before I realise I can't or Im having a good day so I get the mower out push it about 10 yards and feel really stuffed, it makes me feel inadequate, and then someone says just take it easy and have a rest rrrrrrrrrr sorry just venting, but we all know what you are feeling we all cry we all laugh and talking to others does help, my biggest problem is when Im feeling lousy I take it out on the ones I love good luck Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X