Adult stem cell therapy for MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adult stem cell therapy for MS

I'm going to a workshop on Saturday about this. Has anyone heard about this? Is it something new?

Toot
    toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
    Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Look up George Goss and he has a blog that says everything you need to know. He has a video on youtube. He is the foremost promoter of HSCT on the net.
    Dr. Richard Burt of Northwestern University in Illinois is the 'man' for these treatments in the U.S. Other places say they do these treatments but when you read George's blog, you will get the 'real deal'. I believe, he knows the science because he is a physicist by training.
    I have been following Stem Cell replacement therapy for 3 years. Some people get some treatments that are not permanent. George explains it. Good luck on your search

Comment

Thanks JerryD, I will google George Gross and I will return with info I receive at workshop

Toot
      toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
        Look up George Goss and he has a blog that says everything you need to know. He has a video on youtube. He is the foremost promoter of HSCT on the net.
        Dr. Richard Burt of Northwestern University in Illinois is the 'man' for these treatments in the U.S. Other places say they do these treatments but when you read George's blog, you will get the 'real deal'. I believe, he knows the science because he is a physicist by training.
        I have been following Stem Cell replacement therapy for 3 years. Some people get some treatments that are not permanent. George explains it. Good luck on your search
        Okay, I'm confused - you say this man knows the science behind it because he's a physicist by training? One has nothing to do with the other?

Do these boards still have the stem cell section? I haven't checked, but last year they were in the medication section.

From what I remember on some things, there were a couple of different types of stem cell treatment, one is highly controversial and not believed to work.
        Diagnosis: May, 2008
        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Yes, there is still a stem cell section on this board, but do your own research as well. There are two different types of stem cells that have been used, one, I've heard, is not only ineffective, but it can be dangerous as well.
          Diagnosis: May, 2008
          Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Report on Adult stem cell seminar

Dr Khatri invited Jeffrey Cohen, MD to share his info on a study he is doing at Cleveland Clinic. He explained that it was a small trial and that it was not sponsored by any drug company. He walked us through what stem cells are and what they are using in the trial. Very interesting. But it is a fair away treatment for approval.

It trurly is amazing how much has changed since I was first DXed. I'm hopeful that they will find a cure in my life time.

When I was first DXed I did not want to go to any seminars cuz I didn't want to see so many people with MS. Now I find it helpful, sharing stories. What treatments other doctors are giving to people. I am very happy to be seeing Dr Khatri at one of the largest MS clinics in the midwest. I beleive they are staying up on the lastest info.

Google both Bhupendra O. Khatri and Jeffrey Cohen, MD to check them out.

Toot
            toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

toot,
              The man's name is George Goss, not G'r'oss. He is the most vocal proponent of HSCT on the web.
              Spydre it doesn't matter what George's science specialty is. It matters how the science works, and he explains it on his blog. But if you don't read it, you will continue to spread fear of the unknown. it must not be unknown anymore since he was treated by the stem cell procedure almost 2 years ago. And there are people out there who were treated with a stem cell procedure in the US as far back as 2005 or 2006.
              I wish I could identify them and find out more about their outcomes.
              But to keep calling these Stem Cell therapies 'Adult', is somewhat misleading. I don't know what procedures anyone is talking about because the Northwestern University protocol as Dr. Burt provides, is a little different than the treatment done in Heidelberg University hospital.

Comment

I started this thread hoping to mine the posters here for information about HSCT and anything related. I am very surprised that there are so many intelligent people that frequent this site but so few, if any, that are in tune with the stem cell therapy that seems to have some efficacy in 'curing' this miserable disease.
                If anyone has any information, I'm waiting.

Comment

Toot,
                  I was at the seminar on Adult Stem Cell Therapy also.
                  Very informative.

Comment

Stem Cell "Discovery"

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- One of the most promising and exciting treatment avenues for multiple sclerosis is the use of a patient's own stem cells to try to stop -- or even repair -- some of the disease's brain tissue damage.

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/i..._find_key.html

Comment

Taking part in a legitimate study is different from flying off to another country to have a dangerous procedure. This sound interesting (as do all promising "cures" for MS).

So what is a Cure anyway? I've heard it depends on where you are in the disease. If you are early on, cure means no more disease. This is (to me), the most technically correct. You're cured, you have no more MS, though you do still have whatever damage was caused while you had MS.

If you have experienced significant damage, then a cure includes not only stopping the disease, but repairing the damage.

The thing is that stopping the disease and repairing damage are two separate things. I've never been clear on which kind of cure stem cells are supposed to produce.

Comment

BigA,
                        Again, I am glad that there is someone willing to participate in the discussion. I want to say that the 'stem cell cure' is, in my mind, been discussed at length by George Goss on his blog 'the cure for Multiple Sclerosis'. He states that the 'cure' for him comes in the form of stopping progression and reversing some of the deficits from the disease.
                        I keep looking for others that have undergone this type of treatment. George had it 2 years ago. At Heidelberg University. I want to hear from other HSCT recipients. It has been performed at various sites for several years.

Comment

Stem cells did not work for us

My partner did stem cells 3 years ago in Costa Rica, there was a lot of hype about it from people on this site. We went there spent 3 weeks, and met a lot of nice and very hopeful people. We kept in touch. No one saw any change and all are progressing. Stem cell therapy is probably the solution, but they do not seem to be there yet. It is very costly and in our opinion, does not work. But, when you have no hope, you will do anything.

Comment

Since you are willing to go abroad and pay large money for a stem cell treatment, why didn't you go to Germany? Or Northwestern U in Chicago ? Somehow the stem cell treatment in a 3rd world country is not appealing to me. What is the great deal in Costa Rica ? It seems anyone would want to be treated in a university hospital.

Comment

I noticed that you had stem cell treatment in Costa Rica. nDid it include 'chemotherapy ablation' or myeloablative? George Goss states that his treatment in Germany was with chemo. The stem cell replacement therapy is useless without chemo.

Comment

Working...
                              X