Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Fatigue" does not adequately describe the symptom. How about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lassitude is another good word, but no one knows what that means so I refer to it as life altering fatigue if anyone cares to ask me about it and I now consider the word LAZY a swear word around my house!
    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
      I used to battle fatigue like that. It was so bad that I felt like I was trying to run a 20K marathon, uphill, through neck deep quicksand. It was horrible. Combing my hair was exhausting and I'd have to ride the little carts around in grocery stores.

I say used to because I rarely deal with that type of fatigue since I started taking the two supplements in my signature line back in 2009. Now the only time I have fatigue like that is when I forget to take them, which I did last Thursday. I couldn't figure out why I was dragging like snails carrying lumber by the end of the night class I was teaching until I got home and saw that I'd forgotten to take my meds and supplements that day.
      Do you mind telling me what supplements your taking?

Comment

enervate

Thanks for the alternate word ~~~I think I have used "feel like I have been hit by a truck after a 20 mile run" too many times~~~

Comment

Originally posted by mommyto3angels View Post
          Do you mind telling me what supplements your taking?

They are two anti-oxidant supplements, acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. If you do a search for them here and on Google, you'll find a lot of information about them. The dosages are 1,000 to 2,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 200 to 400 mg of alpha lipoic acid.

If you decided to try them, be sure to check with your doctor, especially if you are taking any medications for thyroid problems or diabetes, as they can increase the effectiveness of these meds, which may cause them to need to be adjusted.

Also, it can take up to a month to feel the full effect. They should be taken first thing in the morning, preferably on an empty stomach (though I have to take them with food because they give me bad heartburn.)

Good luck. I hope you get as good results with them as I and others here have.

Hugs,

Lisa
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

thanks for the information about the supplements, we do not have access to the prescription meds that i have read some of you take, they are not approved in australia for this use. Fatigue would be my most troubling symptom and i have described it as trying to walking or swim though neck deep mud.

i have frustrated by the response from others (basically fit and healthy individuals) who respond that they are tired too- they just do not understand the concept that a person can be so fatigued that they do not have the energy to sit up let alone do anything else! I live alone and am wheelchair dependant, when we have our heatwaves in mid january and feb, the temp goes well over 105 for up to 3 weeks in a row, i have ended up in hospital purely because of the level of fatigue made it impossible to care for myself- these days i have a carer one hour per day and that helps a little but our electricity prices have gone up 18%in recent months and 47% in a couple of yrs (3 i think) so its making it too expensive to run air conditioners- i don't like the cold (never have) but i function better in the winter, there is part of me longing for the sun to come but then i know it will not be long before i feel i am in mud 24 hrs a day again

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
              Lassitude is another good word, but no one knows what that means so I refer to it as life altering fatigue if anyone cares to ask me about it and I now consider the word LAZY a swear word around my house!
              Oh I am so with you on that.. it is so of base and insulting!

Comment

Fatique/Unconsciousness

Hi all....
                in response to CGMoombeam...so my sudden feeling like I can't raise my feet/legs or arms, unexplained heaviness, so much so that thought I was having a stroke, is actually fatigue? When you described unconsciousness, it was an ahh haa moment. Due to alveolar hypoventilation in which my O2 drops drastically, esp w sedatives, sleep, I was sure that my sudden onset "unconscious states" was my O2. But I'm now thinking it is fatigue due to MS? It is scary because I feel a gray feeling just before I "zonk out". I've never been on to need to nap during the day, but the last few months is a change with most recently "unconscious" states. I feel like I'm blacking out.
                Thank you, all, for your posts that help so much.
                Prayers to all of you.

Comment

It's frustratring. I tend to get about 10 hours of sleep per day....my meds that I'm on don't help any....but when I go to wake up hubby, you guessed it, I fall asleep!

Yesterday, was so tired, I ended up going to sleep on my reclining couch, and they kept waking me up because I was "disturbing them". Okay, so he can nap on the couch, but I can't?
                  Diagnosis: May, 2008
                  Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I also like "Lassitude" - similar to the wiped-out feeling after a really bad case of the flu.

If I get too hot, I feel heavy and leaden, like the Tin Man with no oil trying to walk up a sand dune.

I seem to have more energy if I drink a b-vitamin-fortified juice every morning, and also drink a ton of water throughout the day. Dehydration = days of recovery.
                    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

I feel the Enervation touches closer to home for me, but these are all great words to use for it IMO!
                      DX: RRMS July 17, 2012
                      Started Copaxone 8/23/2012

Comment

For me, it's less about the word and more about the experience. I don't know that anyone without fatigue from a medical condition could ever possibly understand what this level of fatigue is like without experiencing it.

Anyone that I care to share that info with, I explain that it is fatigue from CNS disease.

It seems to end the discussion because most people are intelligent enough to not reply 'oh I know, I'm tired too'; but I never say never.

Comment

Lassitude=

.. Movement is...
                          like stirring a can of
                          paint with your eyelashes
                          You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

It feels like when you take a sleeping pill and you start feeling it kick in and can't wait to jump into bed since your head is so heavy.

Comment

Working...
                            X