Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Fatigue" does not adequately describe the symptom. How about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fatigue" does not adequately describe the symptom. How about...

I've been on a one-person mission to find a better word for "Fatigue" for those of us with MS. How many times have you heard a comment similar to: "oh yes, I'm tired too! I got to bed late last night and know just how you feel...".

So how about these? Maybe we can co-opt them for our use!

ENERVATE: to deprive of strength or vitality; weaken physically or mentally; debilitate. "Sally didn't go to the store with the others because she knew the outing would enervate her".

ENERVATED: without vigor, force or strength; languid. "His most challenging symptom is that by the end of the day he is completely enervated".

ENERVATION: the depletion or sapping of strength or energy. "MS enervation is much greater than normal fatigue".
    Seattle, WA
    Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
    Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

yes!

Totally agree. What we have (at least you and I) is not just 'feeling tired'.

And yes, irksome to hear 'I'm tired too or 'take a nap you'll feel better'. You have to experience the MS fatigue to understand.

Diane
    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Enervated

The heat and sun on my walk this morning cause me to be enervated for the rest of the day so far.
      I like everything but having to spell it
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

I like them, but I fear they sound too much like 'energize' to the average non-MS ear.

Comment

I have my own not so glamorous term,
          'Dead Man Walking', at least that is what it felt like to me.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I tell people that I don't fall asleep, I pass out--unconscious.
            Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
              I always say "I feel dead dead today" to describe my fatigue. Tired just didnt work for me lol

Comment

YES! I agree seamsguy! Enervate is more accurate than fatigue. MS fatigue reminds me of trying to swim in a pool full of syrup.

I try to describe it to non-MS folks the feeling you experience when you haven’t slept for so long that you can’t keep your eyes open or lift your limbs.

Naps? They don’t help much for this when you’re enervated, I wake up after 10 hours and feel like I never went to sleep.

Comment

I liken to feeling like a zombie (which is walking dead, yes?). Can I eat your brains? Mine need replenished.
                  It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

"Shattered" seems to sum it up for me
                    2004 pos/MS 2006 Pos/MS also Pos/Crazy 14/01/2012 here we go againDx RRMS 21/06/2012

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
                      lol ya me also.. although would be dead woman walkin in my case

ya i get tired of people saying i know how you feel, i didnt sleep or yada yada ya!!!! its just not explainable this complete and utter wiped outedness. ... and add to the MS i have addisons disease.. which means my adrenal glands dont function properly.. yowza double duty!!

enervated !!!!

Comment

Enervate is a good word, never heard it before but will use it for Scrabble! If I used it to describe fatigue it may cause my family to have to use a dictionary! OMG!

Gomer, glad you made it back after the Amazing Race, MS Version!

Jen
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I keep returning to my first term that I used years ago; it doesn't have that scientific aura, but..."Kerplopism". Misses on some level , but it does have a "sound"... I think that we seriously consider what kind of sound grabs out...

Comment

I describe the fatigue like thiks: I tell people it is like my brain is shutting down, my body is getting heavy... I feel like I am walking through quicksand and looking out a foggy window... the fatigue and cog-fog are the worst of my symptoms, at this time.

Comment

I used to battle fatigue like that. It was so bad that I felt like I was trying to run a 20K marathon, uphill, through neck deep quicksand. It was horrible. Combing my hair was exhausting and I'd have to ride the little carts around in grocery stores.

I say used to because I rarely deal with that type of fatigue since I started taking the two supplements in my signature line back in 2009. Now the only time I have fatigue like that is when I forget to take them, which I did last Thursday. I couldn't figure out why I was dragging like snails carrying lumber by the end of the night class I was teaching until I got home and saw that I'd forgotten to take my meds and supplements that day.
                              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X