No announcement yet.

Suprapubic catheter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats a great tip anne, I use a little vinegar to keep my wifes PEG tube clean too, so she will be ingestion that also. And sometimes a little bi-carb soda as it will also keep the bladder clean. but never mix the 2 together

Comment

rasgo, i am all for sharing information, that is what this place is about, sharing and support, but you seem to be contradicting yourself, in one of your posts in response to my commenting on sediment and stone formation you said the following

quote -My wife used to get these bladder stones all the time until i eventually figured out some basic causes.

I had to teach our local Urologist about this at hospital so they could help other patients.

The bottom line is when your PH balance is low it is more acidic and you will develop bladder stones.

You need to eat more alkaline foods and avoid things that make you more acidic.-

but then when i reported that over acidity is not always the situation (my experience is that is it not so common, urine is meant to be acidic after all), i gave the example of citric acid being used to help prevent and even dissolve stones and blockages, you then talk about how you treat your wife with lemon juice as a source of citric acid- seems to contradict your first comment, your first post had suggested that i needed to even look at my dietary intake to help lower the acidity of urine and make it more alkaline to prevent stones!-

its great that you are taking such good care of your wife and i agree that general practioners and many medical practioners have a lot to learn about this kind of management but it is rather insulting to suggest that urologists do not know about the care of urinary incontinence and what causes stones- if your local urologist did not know this, you need to change urologist.

and lastly, frequent uti's is one of the other reasons that SP is often recommended for females, particulary with severe mobility problems or bowel problems as well. it is true that it is possible to get infections around the sp insertion site but it really is not common- i have never had one, and if a person decides that they do not like the SP, it is completely reversible, it starts to close immediately the tube is out.

the final decision about which is the better option should lie with the individual and the patient-there is a lot to consider and most urologists/continence nurses would advise intermittent self cath as the best option but its not viable for everyone.

Comment

No i have not contradicted myself. It is commonly believed that lemon is acidic because it's sour in taste. However, in the view of nutritional science, lemon is an alkaline food.

by dietry food that includes lemons too therefore thats why the PH balance is raised or balance when using lemon because it is alkaline not acidic.

Its not insulting that many uroligists are not aware of how to prevent bladder stones but rather a simple fact of life. some do but most don't.

Comment

Kebsa, just to educate you a little bit more about citric acid, Lemons have a low, highly acidic pH, which is attributable to their citric acid content.

The acidity of a fresh lemon can vary between 2.2 and 2.4 on the pH scale, depending on the fruit's state of ripeness. Canned, unsweetened lemon juice has a consistent pH of 2.3

Compared to lemons, limes are slightly more acidic, oranges and grapefruit are slightly less acidic and cranberries are approximately as acidic.

The pH nature of lemons changes during the body's metabolic process, however, and they become highly alkaline-forming. Adding just 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice to a glass of water is an easy way to give your body a boost of alkalinity.

I hope this is a bit clearer for you to understand now.

I am sorry you feel i am insulting people however the nurses and doctors i talk to are aprreciative and are not insulted at all and quite the opposite.

Comment

Let's not turn this helpful thread into a discussion between members who disagree. No one will win such a discussion. MSWorld guidelines state: "1. INTERNET ETIQUETTE: Show respect for others at all times.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

DOES ANYONE WITH SP CATH IN PAIN HOW DO YOU STOP IT?
              SUSIE99

Comment

What kind of pain?

I have bladder spasms that are extremely painfully. I take liquid Oxybutynin when I have the spasms.

I have no feeling from the chest down so I don't have that kind of pain.

KK

Comment

SP cath from the beginning?

my neuro suggested a SP cath because I am always wet. I can't get clothes off to make it. Because of this, I avoid trying because as soon as I stand up...I tinkle. Changing clothes is quite an ordeal, my dh has to help. I could just sit on the toilet but.....really?! I don't like the idea of having something dangling between my legs, I can barely clean there my self.

The first urologist that I saw said he wouldn't start me on a SP Cath. I am seeing another urologist soon for a second opinion. I think it would be easier for me to keep clean....and was recommended by my neuro. I am overweight, so I'm not sure where they put it, but it would surely be more accessible than the other....

Comment

SP Cath? OR.....

I feel for you, what a problem to deal with. I too was constantly wet. Being W/C bound I wore diapers. YUK!
                    My uro. swayed me to get an ileal conduit urostomy. Only for urine. Sounds scary but what a relief it has been. Output stoma is placed aside you belly button - easily accessible to change and keep clean. Done in '06 ,
                    no major problems since. Wish you luck in whatever you choose.

Comment

Thanks Marol...

I'll google this, I've never heard of it. The first urologist I saw didn't seem to know much about people with MS...I'll keep trying!

Comment

Susan, I had major bowel and bladder problems having to spend much of my life getting enemas, self cathing, having embarrassing accidents and spending hours on the pot. I couldn't go anywhere. I finally agreed to a colostomy and soon after got the sp urostomy. Wish I'd done it sooner cause I feel like a new much more independent person!

Comment

Working...
                        X