Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABOUT TO JUST GIVE UP! AM I ALONE OUT HERE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABOUT TO JUST GIVE UP! AM I ALONE OUT HERE?

I posted something on here almost a year ago about wanting to work and have job hunting since. Of course, with no luck! I'm 44 and received my B.S. the same time I was dx'd, Aug. 2010. I've run out of places to reach, and/or can't get any responses from it seems anyone. No only am I fighting M.S., but I'm fighting "the system" who wants me on SSDI, and my wife who's about at her wits end. I'm ready to cash in my chips. FML
    Dx'd 08/2010 RRMS
    Rebif, Copaxone, Gilenya, Tecfidera
    "Fall down 7 times, get up 8"

Contact

The Ticket to Work office. You can probably find a local place by calling the SS office.

Be careful, though. Make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities through the program so you don't end up on the losing end.

Also, if you've been unemployed for a significant amount of time, it can be quite difficult to find a job.

I am over 60. Early this year I was exploring the possibility of finding a less demanding job. Couldn't even get an interview. Everyone is now hiring 'cheaper' help, which generally translates to younger and less experienced.

Comment

I just want to say I am so sorry for job problem. My husband struggles being self-employed so I know how tough it is as a wife. I know how tough it is for you guys too!

I can't offer specific help, but just my encouragement and prayers for your family. Believe me, they DO work!

The economy is bad (no matter what O. says), and I think p/t work may be a good start. Perhaps it could work into something better and full-time? MS on top of life is no picnic, either.

Hang in there, and know there are people out there who care and support you!

Comment

Have you looked into any of the work from home places? There are real ones, not scams. Check into that.

Comment

Have you spoken to the college where you received your degree, they often will have job options that what we tend to not to see. Also, since you are not working, perhaps they can set you up with a paying or even non-paying internship. Internships often lead to full-time placement. Good luck, job hunting is always stressful, and that is one thing you don't need-added stress!

Comment

There are a lot of great work from home resources that can get you started working on your own time without being worried about regular work environments. Have you looked into things like that?

Comment

WORK AT HOME JOBS

I wish this board had a thread where we could post legitimate work at home opportunities. I would love to work at home.

There are so many scams out there.. Would be great to see legitimate ones all in one place.

Miss Jay

Comment

I am checking into a Freight Brokerage work from home job with One Horn Transportation http://onehorn.com/agents/agent-training-program

Comment

Well so far no luck with One Horn I guess they do not want to work with disabled or to much of a headache maybe to work through Voch Rehab.

Comment

Has anyone thought of getting a "coding" certificate?
                    Someone told me about the fact that a diagnosis needs an official "code." One that insurances will pay.
                    Hospitals and doctors offices need people that are good at this.
                    It is mainly a sedentary job.

I am seriously thinking about it for the future.

I would try to get any job, regardless of degree.

Right now I teach English language to immigrants and foreigners. I also teach the immigration exam.

Find something you are good at doing and sell it.

Comment

Coding is one of those dying jobs. Medical records are all going electronic these days and the computer programs include built-in coding. The doctor or nurse just clicks a diagnosis in the patient's exam record and the coding is done automatically. Almost no medical offices have someone looking up a diagnosis in a code book and entering the numbers manually anymore. So please don't spend your money getting a coding certificate unless you want to end up with just an expensive piece of paper.

Comment

Totally agree with you on this one. I work as a healthcare provider and our group has switched to echarts making coding automatic in our system. Also of no further use, is the transcription jobs which once was lucrative (I did this for our group on the side) then it was sent overseas (cheaper) now down to no need at all as everything is electronically done directly from the chart.

Comment

I read a good article not too long ago about choosing a college major or a career. The advice was to not choose a career doing something that can be done by a computer because pretty soon it will be done by a computer and you'll be out of a job.

Comment

Working...
                          X