Stupid things people have said to you/asked you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny comments

I'm not Dxed - but being "processed". I live in a housing cooperative and the neighbours are close (and sometimes nosy). So, over the past few months in all my running to tests and doctors, I was sitting out back visiting neighbours and was asked what was going on.

"They're not sure yet, but are trying to eliminate MS" I said.

One of my neighbours asked "Didn't you get your shot for that as a kid?!"

I barely know anything about this disorder and found that a real eye roller.
    “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
    ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Comment

Now we are getting on my pet peeve. Change your diet and you will be well. My daughter even told me this. She was over one day and I'm sitting in my power wheelchair crooked. She asked why I wasn't sitting straight. Told her the MS was now in my spine and will sit crooked unless I really work on it. She has never mentioned "The doctor with MS diet" again.

Comment

A couple of pretty insensitive things were from relatives:

1. (After watching me limping with my walker during a bad relapse) "You're whole problem is you're not standing up straight. The whole thing would improve if you would pay attention to your posture." (When you can barely stand up at ALL, posture is the last thing you're gonna worry about.)

2. (Same relative while I'm trying to do balance exercises and repeatedly collapsing against a wall I was using for support). "God must have a plan for you." (I yelled at this person exactly what God could do with His plan as she was leaving).

Oh and one good one from a former boss:

3. "Walk it off." (They were exercise nuts).

Oh yeah, there have been lots more.

Comment

I get comments from my dad all the time. I'm 27 and he's 54. He has arthritis and gout and limps a lot. The other day, I was going somewhere with my parents and I couldn't lift my leg high enough to actually get into the car. He got so mad waiting on me to figure out a way to get myself in. He then tells me that I'm in worse shape than him. Yeah, that's what having a neurological disorder will do to you.

I just saw my new neuro a week ago. I made the appt with him as soon as I realized things were getting very bad. My dad is so supportive of me, that when he watched me struggle (before my appt), he yelled at me for not going to the dr. I can't exactly go if they won't get me in!

Then, after I saw my neuro, my dad saw me struggling to get around again. He again gets angry because "you know what you need to do." I inform him that I did just see a dr and then his response is that "you should have asked him to give you something." If only it were that simple.

When I went to see my first neurologist, my left arm and hand were numb and I had trouble writing, grasping, and carrying things. This made my job very difficult. He assesses me, looks at all his notes, and then he decides that, because my symptoms are minor, it wasn't urgent to figure out what was wrong with me. Why, thank you for deciding not to get on top of things because you aren't suffering from the same exact thing. I love going to the dr to be blown off and not taken seriously.

My mom reminds me all the time that Montel has MS and he doesn't let it stop him. I'm sure if I had his money, it might be a little easier on me as well.

A friend of mine who had a bad flare up of back pain knows exactly what I'm going through when I have trouble doing things that I never used to think about. No, I'm pretty sure that having something fixable is much better than having a neurological disease.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13
          Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

lstrl,

I wonder if your father feels bad for you, is frustrated with doctors from his own experience and doesn't really know to express it.

Comment

My DH is the king of making comments.

For instance.... You should take the dog for walks... (Yea in 100+ degree temps, that is a grand thought)

Another one.... Why don't you just exercise more? (That's right, exercise will fix everything)

I will give my mom honorable mention: She will often say "I wonder if maybe I have MS" because she has forgotten where she has put something.

Comment

my wife just said "how can you be tired you do not do anything to be tired"
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by CGMoonbeam View Post
                  I asked my dad why he didn't call to check on me. Most parents that I know can't go a week without hearing from their kids, let alone when they have a chronic illness. He told me that it was too depressing to call. Worse yet, I often have people make excuses for his comment. I've known the man for 40+ years. It doesn't bother him that I have an illness. He feels that I'm faking.

The one that I've also heard is "Are you feeling better yet?"
                  Omg! My dad said the same thing! That he didn't call because it was too depressing. Narcissism is an ugly thing.

Comment

My ex-husband's current wife - after I told her I would not be able to take the 3 year old granddaughter for 6 weekd while she recovered from her surgery.

"Oh, well, just don't worry about it. You just rest and get yourself well."

Comment

Three years ago I had my first major flare. I lost almost all use of my left arm and leg. Couldn't walk without someone's help. I quickly got back enough strength and coordination to walk by myself, but not great, and for several months my muscles would contract so bad I was stuck mid-stride and in great pain. I didn't have enough strength or coordination in my arm and hand to brush my hair, hold a drink, or type.

My husband, about a week ago, referred to this as 'when I had that trouble with my leg'.
                      Portia

Comment

My wife is always saying,"you don't move enough" or "you need to be on an exercise regimen" and "you don't get out enough" "all you do is sit here and watch TV and play on your computer all day". I am studying web design, guess I could do that without a computer .... lol sarcasm
                        Last edited by hunterd; 04-12-2015, 11:22 AM. Reason: darn, wrong button again
                        Disabled and going to school at the moment to make the best of my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by pmtrk1790 View Post
                          My wife is always saying,"you don't move enough" or "you need to be on an exercise regimen" and "you don't get out enough" "all you do is sit here and watch TV and play on your computer all day". I am studying web design, guess I could do that without a computer .... lol sarcasm
                          Since when you need a computer for web design – more sarcasm for you.
                          It never ceases to amaze me that the ones closest to us say things like this.
                          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                          volunteer
                          MS World
                          hunterd@msworld.org
                          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

great thread!

"So, are you feeling better every day?" Ummmmm, the last time you saw me, I could walk with a cane, now I need a walker - yeh, I'm feeling lots better!

"I thought from the start that you had MS." Really? Why didn't you tell me? I would have tipped off my doctors - it just took them 7 months to figure it out.

"Your life will change completely" Thanks for telling me, I had no idea. really, in case you hadn't noticed, it already has.

"Just drink carrot juice, it really helps." I don't even have a good smart alecky comment for that one!

Comment

"Everything happens for a reason."

- So there's a reason that all those people in Nepal just lost their lives? Wow, I'm really glad I'm not in your head.

"God never gives us more than we can handle."

- So people who commit suicide are just handling it? Again, your head is a scary place.

"At least it's not cancer"

- Oh, I got to have that too. Maybe you should have said "ebola."
                              PPMS
                              Dx 07/13

Comment

How about..."Eh...what's up doc?"

Originally posted by PattiHNC View Post
                                "So, are you feeling better every day?" Ummmmm, the last time you saw me, I could walk with a cane, now I need a walker - yeh, I'm feeling lots better!

"I thought from the start that you had MS." Really? Why didn't you tell me? I would have tipped off my doctors - it just took them 7 months to figure it out.

"Your life will change completely" Thanks for telling me, I had no idea. really, in case you hadn't noticed, it already has.

"Just drink carrot juice, it really helps." I don't even have a good smart alecky comment for that one!
                                ROFL...too funny How about..."Eh...what's up doc?" (Hardy har har) ...or hey, what a bright idea!! Thanks ... LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X