No announcement yet.

Stupid things people have said to you/asked you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to go for a bone density test today as I have 2 fractures on my tailbone. The technician who administered the test commented on my MS, then told me, in no uncertain terms, that my fairly long fingernails could be the cause of my MS. I told her they are real and I've always had long nails and she said... ready for this? That the DIRT AND GERMS that gathers under my nails is the cause! OK!! I guess if I cut them I'm cured?
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

LOL Cat Mom

"That the DIRT AND GERMS that gathers under my nails is the cause!"

Everyone! Quick! Cut your fingernails and use antibacterial soap to wash your hands and you will be cured!

Totally unbelieveable!
      Echo
      DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
        I had to go for a bone density test today as I have 2 fractures on my tailbone. The technician who administered the test commented on my MS, then told me, in no uncertain terms, that my fairly long fingernails could be the cause of my MS. I told her they are real and I've always had long nails and she said... ready for this? That the DIRT AND GERMS that gathers under my nails is the cause! OK!! I guess if I cut them I'm cured?
        OK - this one wins the all-time-stupidity prize!! Really now? I have been a gardener of organic veggies for 40 years now... So, Yep - that explains it for me

btw, cat mom - hope you are feeling OK! Tailbone fractures must be painful!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

"This is an exciting time to have MS."

Don't remember where I heard that one recently.

Comment

The one I got this week, I supplier of mine asked me to spend the day in his shop which is a couple of hours away to watched the process of making the parts I buy (I can only stand for 10 to 15 minutes)

I told him that it would not be possible because I am dealing with symptoms of possible MS; he replied by saying that his friend has had MS for 25 years! and that I look in really good shape!

Good for me that I worked out since I was 14 and even though I can no longer do it I still have some of that muscle left

Comment

My neighbor has been mentioned (for the past 10 years) that her niece has MS. This started even before I realized I had symptoms. Last weekend, she mentioned her niece had MS. I casually mentioned, so do I. She proceeded to tell me, "well, she needs shots every day. So do I. Well, she gets tired easily (duh!!). It got to the point I felt like I was playing MS poker. I'll see that tired and raise you pain!

Comment

I went to the post office a few years ago, looking as I usually do--chubby, wobbly, leaning on a crutch--and when I left, a really cute middle-aged biker followed me out the door and actually hit on me. "Wow, did that happen in a motorcycle accident?" That's me, the foxy old broad whose appeal might--just might--come from wrecking a Harley. Say what?
                Peg

Comment

L-O-FREAKIN-L Peg!!! At least he was cute! "Sex appeal" comes in all forms, some we could really due without though. Thanks for the chuckle!

Comment

"What's your problem?"

Notice the quotes?? So that was the question. I told him I had MS.
                    His reply: Well at least you got Jerry Lewis fighting for you".

Sometimes ya just gotta laugh!
                    PPMS Dx 2007. Rebif

Comment

The first neuro that I saw after moving back to the midwest sat with me for a little bit, listened to my current sx and though I had to send my medical records from my previous Drs, she confessed she hadn't taken the time to review them.

She looked at me and said, "well you look fine". ARRGGHH!

So I scheduled another appt with the head of the MS dept at a major medical facility who DID review my medical records who also shrugged and told me I looked fine.

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!

Honorable mention: A life long friend told me that my issue was that I needed to quit thinking about being sick. If I stopped taking any meds and got into yoga and simply decided to stop living like I am ill I would be fine. Wow. That one hurt the most....
                      DXd Fragile X premutation ~ 2004
                      DXd RRMS ~ Jan. 2009

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKathryn View Post
                        Honorable mention: A life long friend told me that my issue was that I needed to quit thinking about being sick. If I stopped taking any meds and got into yoga and simply decided to stop living like I am ill I would be fine. Wow. That one hurt the most....
                        Wow, that one deserves more than honorable mention. That crosses the line from stupid to plain old mean. I "lol-ed" at most of these but truly cringed when i read yours. I'm so sorry that you had to endure this kind of unwarranted advice.
                        Jen

Comment

These are kind of fun to read & proves that we've all been there.

The worst I ever got was from a neighbor about 15 years my junior who just HAD to tell me how it was hard to believe I had it because her friend had to move back in with her parents & is now incontinent & needs to be fed. Way to make me feel better about my future, eh?

Or, after I've struggled almost to tears to get into the PO to pick up my mail have another acquaintance tell me how great I'm getting around.

Now I have a KAFO as well as a cane (that's on a good day) but strangers always assume I've had some sort of sports injury or something. Usually they offer encouragement such as "I had my knee replaced & know what it's like" or "Don't worry it'll get better soon."

A nice old man I met at the grocery store gave me a good reply to offer strangers when people ask what I've done to my leg. I just say "It's a long story" & leave it at that. Most people mean well so it satisfies them without my having to listen to their whole "I know somebody ...." stories which is doubly annoying for me since I have PPMS so they probably don't know somebody.

Comment

my cousin stopped me the other day and asked if i "still had that thing that was wrong with me?"

Comment

Too funny!!!

My dad's latest comment:

"You probably just have Lyme disease."

I will inform my neurologist that these are all pseudo lesions!
                              Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Comment

stupid comment from spouse

This was a real kick in the teeth this morning...well, to start, last night I was telling my husband that I’ve been depressed (which he knew already) and feeling scared about having MS. I recently got diagnosed and the doctor wants me on Copaxone. I’ve had two flares this year that made me feel like s****.

Well then, this morning he’s like “I’m able to keep my life struggles and ailments to myself” like he’s being a “strong man” and that women are different. I’m like no – I’m human, I’m depressed and scared. HE DOESN’T EVEN HAVE ANY AILMENTS!! Or struggles for that matter that are worth mentioning. He had a little patch of eczema on his shin…somehow that doesn’t equate to what I’m going through….I guess he just wants me to shut up about it.
                                He really hasn’t been all that supportive when I’ve had flares even saying things like “Can’t you walk any faster?”

I’m starting to get to my wits end and figure that he’s never going to be there for me if and when times get really tough. I’ve been trying to fight though and not be depressed. The doctor recommended antidepressants but they just don’t agree with me and make me crazier. It is just depressing in itself to have an unsupportive partner. He’ll say that he’ll do better next time but when the rubber hits the road he turns into a jerk.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
                                X