No announcement yet.

Stupid things people have said to you/asked you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must admit to telling several people with MS they look good. Because they did!

I think sometimes "You look good", just means "you look good" and not you don't look like you're ill.

But I do need to tell my wife that even though she can't see it, I'm in pain.

Comment

We were on vacation last year and a group of us were waiting in the hotel lobby for the bus to our ship. I got up to go to the bathroom, and as usual I was dizzy and wobbly and out away from anything I could grab onto, I went down.

The hotel manager and staff were besides themselves trying to help. He was worried I tripped, and my husband said no, she has MS. (We were in Amsterdam at the time). The manager trying so hard to help, said, well, can I bring her a pill?

I'm lying on the floor, starting off our trip all wrong, and I had to laugh. Oh, if it were just that easy, take a pill and be better.

Comment

When i walk slow they always ask me did something happen to you like an injury.

Comment

Seasha, your post reminds me of someone who said to tell her about the MS, but she didn't want to hear anymore after that, then proceeded to try to sell me some vitamin crap that she was selling. She had polio when she was a kid, so suffers from fatigue and has a deformed leg. These vitamins helped her and someone she knew with her MS. I would regret not trying it. Guess what, I don't.
          Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
            ... everybody knows what the pink ribbon stands for but how many know what the orange ribbons is for, I have met people with MS that don't even know.
            I guess I must be nobody!

Just kidding, but I've never heard anything about orange ribbons. But it's also exactly the sort of thing I have no use for. Ribbons, bracelets, bumper stickers, etc. that supposedly show support come across as "look at what a good person I am!" in my book. I haven't been the subject of insensitive remarks (as far as I know ), but I suspect they'd bother me less...
            1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

"Have you been to a doctor?"

Sometimes the questions are so stupid, an answer escapes me.

Comment

You don't look sick! And isn't that the disease Jerry Lewis has a telethon for?

Comment

A few years before a new doc opened the MS can-o-worms, a foot doc sent me to a local neuro & testing, thinking I might be one of Jerry's (rather older) kids.

That had me more worried than the later probable MS.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

While standing in a local pub with buddies, drinking a glass of wine, a lady walks over and says.

"You should try bee stings, I saw on Fox it can help you walk again"

??????

Comment

"Have you had hip replacement?"

Yeah, right!! That's precisely why my walking stick keeps
                      tripping itself!

me
                      "I'm not limping!! I'm just favoring each leg differently!!"

Comment

First of all, I am loving this thread. There is a similar one from awhile back but it's great to have a new one !

@ MarkLavelle - My family wears the bracelets and our walk T-shirts hoping to bring awareness to MS. If people ask what the orange bracelet is for; or reads the T-shirt, it makes people more aware of MS.

@ Prayers for Rain - Remarkably I recently heard about this treatment for MS, and one of them was a nurse. A cousin/nephew of theirs did bee sting treatment for a number of years and had improvements. Even had his own hives, and progressed from 1 to 2 to 3 stings + on a gradual basis. I don't think I'm ready to try it, but if it helped someone - more power to them. Sounds crazy to me, but oh well ! I haven't looked up any information about it yet, but if I do I guess I'll check on Fox !

Comment

I am going on disability after almost 15 years of MS, and I have heard:

Well, you knew this would happen. (from my mom)

You need to move to Canada for the health insurance. (MIL, a Canadian)

Aren't you taking medicine for it? Just get some steroids and you'll be fine.

Now that you don't have the stress from work, I know you'll feel fine.

Teri Garr has MS? But she looks terrible.

Get well soon.

Comment

Great thread!

I saw so many of my own experiences echoed here!

Especially the "you look so good" comment. I look so good because I lost 35 pounds due to GI/pelvic floor problems from MS! However, I choose to say that I "watch my diet" and "workout." That is the expected response. The people who really need to know about MS and my problems know.

Ars320 - sounds lime your mom and mine should get together! Always thinking positive!

Comment

My Wife is hosting an important meeting and the talk turns to a certain salesman in the company who is missing an arm. The new guy fresh out of college ask's "why is he missing an arm? Does He have MS or something?".

She answered "I have MS and can ensure You that it doesn't make your limbs fall off."

He didn't speak for the rest of the meeting.

Comment

I was parked in a handicap parking spot at the local Home Depot with my 11 year old daughter. I have a handicap license plate on my car.
                                As I was walking away from my car, an older guy nearby, stopped in his tracks and commented to me ' you seem to look OK why are you parking in the handicap parking? ' I responded that he can verify my disability with my neurologist and read him my doctor's phone number. My daughter also commented to the man that he was acting ignorant. Some people just don't realize: human beings were designed with 1 mouth and 2 ears. Wonder why ?

Comment

Working...
                                X