No announcement yet.

Stupid things people have said to you/asked you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't count how many times people have said, "well, my sister's coworker [or whoever] has MS and she's totally fine." I also hear the "so-and-so doesn't have any symptoms at all." And I think, yeah, any that you know of.

This is why I have not disclosed my MS to many people in my life, including all my work colleagues.

On the flip side, a yoga friend found out I had MS after knowing me (and practicing with me) for several years, and her reaction was: "Oh my God, you are my hero."

So, we are all heroes, too!

Comment

Are you still in remission? (as though that would leave me feeling perfectly normal, which I don't).

If you just exercise more, you will get stronger. I replied, well, sometimes it doesn't work like that. Response to me, yes it does.

You look great! Are you feeling good?

Comment

"Oh, you're one of Jerry's kids!"
        Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Just received a letter from someone I don't even know! and this 20 somethinng person said: MS is known to be caused by over-inundation of Transient Electricity and/or radiation (EMF/R). ie. powerlines, alternating current, CFL's, LED's.

Ok - I'm thinking then everyone in industrialized countries would have MS!!

She also invited me to come to the desert to live with her and others in a retreat center for my "synthetic electro-mag. frequency removal experiential experiment" MY WHAT??

Ok - "off the grid" retreat center. It might have appealed to me in my 20's, but now in my 60's? I have trouble getting out the door some days!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Moonbeam

Originally posted by CGMoonbeam View Post
            "Oh, you're one of Jerry's kids!"
            LOL - My best friend thought that at first too, that and the comment "are you sure you have that" after several months? I don't think she still has bothered to look it up....

And the old standard, "well I have vertigo too", "I have to pee all the time too", "I get tired in the afternoon too", notice the pattern here? I, I, I

I try to avoid conversations with people who just don't know or just don't care...
            Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
            Ampyra 10mg 2xday
            Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Stupid Things

I was shopping and pulled up to the register in my flashy grocery store scooter and the girl looked at me like I was an idiot (I am only 32). She asked me what was wrong with me that I needed the scooter. I told her that I have Multiple Sclerosis. Her reply was "oh, I have an aunt who has terrible arthritis". WHAT...............I was not in a good mood that day and kind of laughed at her and she then got defensive. I told her she needed to google MS when she gets home. I gave her a brief synopsis and I feel bad because she felt very bad and stupid when I told her. I guess I was sick of the comments on oh, she is doing better or peoples ignorance of what we deal with daily.

My mom always tells people I am doing better and so well. I am like really...........I don't think so! ok, enough of my rant. Some of the things you guys have said are pretty funny though! I am glad most of us can keep a sense of humor......most days
              RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

And I'm sure there is a "small fee" from that "retreat center".
                These carnivores prey on sick people with wonderful cures.

Comment

Myname,
                  Stupid people need to be made aware that they are stupid.

You did right with this one.

Comment

My favorites are:

Said to my wife... Wow he looks great today!
                    Or said to me, looks like your having a great day!
                    All said I am not a fan of the word great, I am thank ful for the good days though! Thanks for the topic, I often laugh silently to myself when I get these comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                      Just received a letter from someone I don't even know! and this 20 somethinng person said: MS is known to be caused by over-inundation of Transient Electricity and/or radiation (EMF/R). ie. powerlines, alternating current, CFL's, LED's.

She also invited me to come to the desert to live with her and others in a retreat center for my "synthetic electro-mag. frequency removal experiential experiment" MY WHAT??

Ok - "off the grid" retreat center. It might have appealed to me in my 20's, but now in my 60's? I have trouble getting out the door some days!

LOL!

This thread is cracking me up! I have heard some of these, too (although not the one I just quoted ).

I guess you have to laugh to keep from crying.
                      "Man's importunity is God's opportunity. He uses our problems as building material for his miracles." ~Corrie Ten Boom

Comment

Any time someone makes a incorrect comment or asks what is wrong with me they better plan on standing there a few minutes while take the time to educate them about MS, We have to be our own advocates for MS, everybody knows what the pink ribbon stands for but how many know what the orange ribbons is for, I have met people with MS that don't even know.

Part of this I blame on the MS society, I get requests for donations from them and other MS organizations all the time via email, yet no one else in my family gets them, I see TV commercials and news reports on the Breast cancer society activities but when was the last time you saw anything on MS. I don't blame the people that ask the questions or make the comments I blame us for not educating the general public about MS. Far too many people keep thier MS private and are afraid to discuss it. Maybe if we talked about it more there would be less stupid questions and more support for our cause.
                        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

The whole, are you getting better yet, really wears at me.

Comment

My daughter is in denial,

too, Waydownsouth, and it sucks. I tried to explain to her that my MS is progressing rapidly all of a sudden.

Her reply was "you just need to move more." She proceeded to lecture me on how to start moving a little at a time.

Yeah, like I haven't tried that.

I also had a former boss tell me he was sure PPMS was not as severe as RRMS, because he had several friends with it who did fine! One retired after a full career and is still doing fine. This guy is a Ph.D. and studies BRAIN chemistry. He should know better!

Um, yeah, it's fine all right, until it isn't; and no one knows when/if that will happen to them.

Comment

Fatigue: You're just lazy!

Ann Romney: She's just fine with her MS, why aren't you?

Always remember, we can choose our friends, but not our family right?
                              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

OH....MY....GOODNESS! LOL!!!

Thanks for the laugh! That is so funny!

Comment

Working...
                                X