No announcement yet.

New, diagnosed 8 hours ago. Scared but trying to stay positive. Sorry so Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New, diagnosed 8 hours ago. Scared but trying to stay positive. Sorry so Long

Hello all. I am new and wanted to say Hi. This is all pretty new to me, I have been doing research all night. I was just diagnosed 8 hours ago with MS, officially. My Brain MRI was just yesterday. I have cried and then stopped, trying to be calm and thinking positive. Then, I cry again in fear, then I feel I can do this and be positive again. At that time, I started feeling tingling in two of my fingers on the right and a few toes on my right side as well. Then, I got really scared. I have been researching and learning all night.

I am going to write my story because I need to get it out and feel very alone right now. I have the support and total love of my husband and kids (12 and 8 years old). But still, I feel alone.

4 days ago I woke up with double vision and the rest of the day I felt drunk in my head/somewhat dizzy especially when looking to the side. it has been the same thing for 4 days straight, double vision for 20 min then drunk feeling. I also have somewhat numb gums on the right side of my mouth and have lost most of my sense of taste on the right side of my tongue and mouth. All this happened at once!

I knew right away, what this could mean. My Birth Mother (we don't have much of a relationship because its so emotional, She has MS - was diagnosed 6 years ago). So I always knew, it could be a possibility for me.

For years, 12 years to be exact, I have had on and off chronic pain issues. (I am currently 37). It took years of doctors thinking I was a drug seeker or making it up and was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. All these years, it never sat in my gut as 'true'. I thought I must be in denial. I always would say to people, well...I "supposedly" have fibromyalgia. I always knew I did not have ALL the answers but wasn't sure why.
    I have had depression on and off forever as well, of course.

So of course, I went to the Dr. about double vision. I am new here in Alpharetta, GA for a year now. I just picked a random Internal Medicine center online and went. I cried thru my appt because I knew this couldn't be good. She sent me for a full eye exam. I went that same day. My Eye exam came out perfect. The opthamologist said everything was favorable and he did not see optic neuritis and that my vision was 20/20 in each from my lasik 6 years ago. He said, for sure ...continue with the brain MRI I had scheduled the next morning (yesterday). So, I was feeling pretty optimistic! But still, weird symptoms what gives?

I was totally scared about the next morning, of course. I had my MRI. The MRI guy said, "you shouldn't worry too much, everything looks fine". He probably should not have said that to me!!! He obviously was not seeing what the radiologist and my dr. saw in the scans. But he was super nice, so I can't be mad at him. But, leaving that, I thought, great I think I am out of the woods, wow.

Next day, today, woke with double vision again - day 4. Or is it 5? Im so emotionally drained, Idk. I thought, well this has to all be something, plus the numb right side of tongue, etc. I had a flare up of neck pain the previous 2 weeks so I thought maybe this is all related?

Doctor calls me today with the results from radiologist and says "unfortunately, your scans show evidence of MS". Wow. I instantly cried and she said she'd refer me to a good neurologist.

Monday, is my appt. with someone she recommended.

Now, I guess I am afraid to hear about What kind of MS I have specifically. Or maybe more tests need to be done first like a lumbar puncture? I am just hoping it is not too aggressive, can they tell that from the scan?

The doctor on the phone did say "Well, at least we caught it early". Man, she must think I live my whole existence crying every minute. It's all she knows of me.

So, if we caught it early, then what of my pains and issues these previous years? idk, I really have a lot to learn.

I am trying to stay positive. Here is what I know, MS is not a death sentence. As long as I can be here for my kids and be around my kids as they grow up, that is ALL that really matters in my world. It could be worse. It is not cancer, it is not a brain tumor. I realize I may have sucky relapses but I am going to try my best to stay healthy and keep them away. We shall see..

Sorry so long!!! But this is all so new to me and I need to get it out. I need to not feel alone.
    Thank you for reading this.

Love, Light and Healing ^i^
    Willow (Gina)

Dear Willow~

Welcome to MSWorld! We're so glad you joined! I'm sorry that you are scared and feeling alone today. All have had those feelings and you need not feel alone anymore.

I am glad you are doing all you can to educate yourself at this time. Please come back often and ask questions. You may be interested in posting in the thread called "Rest Area 51, Newbies Lounge" You will find it under the forum called Limbo Landers and Newly Diagnosed You will be able to connect with others who are newly diagnosed!

I wish that I had found MSWorld when I was first dx! It is a wonderful place for sharing information and making new friends who understand!

In the meantime, you will be alright! You have your priorities in the right place. You will be strong for your kids

Take care!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Willow
      Sorry you had to find us but happy you did. As you can see, there are lots of us, you ARE NOT alone. I know it feels that way sometimes though.

About this, "So, if we caught it early, then what of my pains and issues these previous years? idk, I really have a lot to learn."

REMEMBER that not everything is MS. Your previous issues may or may not be related to THIS. That will certainly be something to discuss with your new Dr.

I would like to suggest writing down the thoughts and questions running through your head for the next few days, then the night or morning before your appointment structuring it into something coherent, like a list of concerns you would like Doc to address. Keep in mind that time could be an issue- ASK if you need to make another appointment to discuss the items of interest to you, those first visits are usually very busy with exams so there may not be alot of time to talk. ALSO bring a notepad/recorder/support person- some way to remember what was said.

Let us know how your appointment goes!

Comment

Thank you Seasha! I so appreciate it and you.

I will go right over to the newbie area, I had no idea it was there/here.

Thank you so so so much

Gina

Comment

Hi Gina, I'm sorry you're going through all this but if it is MS, at least there's many choices of med to take now, not just for symptoms but also for disease control. Not much of a consolation I know so please don't think I'm downplaying your fear, that is real and legitimately so.

You'll find lots of supportive people here so no need to apologize for your long rant. Most of us have been exactly where you are.

If it is MS, I urge you to connect with your local MS Society chapter. They have a fantastic newly diagnosed series as well as tons of resources. It's very overwhelming, especially at the beginning, don't let the Internet scare you too much. It's a great resource but terribly frightening, sometimes too much info.

Please keep us posted on how you're making out.
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you

My doctor says Unfortunately, the Esp. with the double vision, losing taste on side of mouth and light tingling in my right arm and right leg, all at once..I am sure it is. I guess talking to the Neurologist on Monday will make much more sense of everything.

Much love to you all.......

Comment

Willow, You are in my meditations. I know you are scared, but you will have so many people here to speak to when you need an answer or just to scream. Be well and take care.
              Natasha

Comment

Willow,
                The doctor said ' at least we caught it early' Like there is some advantage to that! Well, maybe a little! What she didn't do was test your vitamin D levels, which should be between 50ng/mL to 80ng/mL. Your doctor will say 30 or 40 is sufficient. Not !! Did you test for Lyme disease ? Did you get any food allergy tests? You see, it may be a painful disease but it has been treated and documented for a, minimum, 70 years. It has confused all manner of medical people, even today. If you are not dx'd Relapsing Remitting MS, you are not worth a NIH study. The most recent study is dealing with nutrition and MS by Dr. Terry Wahls, of Iowa.
                Don't despair. Get yourself some education and find proper medical people. Find out what the local MS society has to say. Be a fighter, don't smoke, and Good luck

Comment

Wow, thank you all so much. Natasha, I meditate every day so that means a lot to me that you say you would include me in yours.

Thank you for that additional information. I should definitely get tested for Vitamin D and everything else. I am hoping the Neurologist will do all that next. It all really makes you think....

I have periods of Its okay, I will be positive, it could be so much worse! Then periods of pure fear. I am having panic attacks when I try to rest, which is not typical of me. My heart starts beating real fast like its going to jump out of my chest, its awful.

I have rarely been given proper meds over the years. I am hoping the neurologist will at least give me something for anxiety while trying to deal with this.

I don't do well on anti-depressants so I really don't want to go on any of those.

Anyway, Im blabbing.

Thank you so so so much. Means a lot to me right now, this support.

Gina

Comment

I am in the same boat as you, starting to have those anxiety attacks here and there and just feel overwhelmed at times. I may ask for something to take but I am not good with medications lol, guess I better start being better with at least my MS meds! I just started and no fears about forgetting that! I am also on Vit D now once week. Cant figure out how that is possible as I am a sun lover and spent all of my life on the beach in the summer. Have a permanent tan! My level was moderately low so my neuro put me on it. Sometimes it's just great to release what's on your mind, especially when there is nobody you really can talk to that isn't familiar with MS.

Comment

hi moz

Just letting you know that I noticed that you are in Westchester county.

So am I...near White Plains. Let me know if you would like to get together one day...

Check out my profile
                      New study on vaping
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23237736
                      *****BEST INFO BELOW*******
                      http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/content/58/3/389.full
                      http://ripatients.org/cms/uploads/File/MS/Clark_2004_MSandCannabis.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by pnowsitall View Post
                        Just letting you know that I noticed that you are in Westchester county.

So am I...near White Plains. Let me know if you would like to get together one day...

Check out my profile
                        How kind of you, psnowsitall!. It'll be nice to visit, with each other, I know, it helps me.

Right after my initial diagnoses, I started visiting someone with M.S.

That really helped me, more than anyone could know.

Meeting and being able to visit with her, helps me have a positive attitude. Up

Comment

Fed Up

Shoot me an email. I would be happy to meet with you and to talk about our disease, etc.

I live near White Plains, NY, how about you?
                          New study on vaping
                          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23237736
                          *****BEST INFO BELOW*******
                          http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/content/58/3/389.full
                          http://ripatients.org/cms/uploads/File/MS/Clark_2004_MSandCannabis.pdf

Comment

Willow,

I am glad you found "us"/this site. It really does help to know there are others going through the "MS" issues. I am very very sorry you got this disease! I want to tell you this: I was diagnosed with M.S. without ever having an L.P., so please know that you may NOT need to have one.
                            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Hello and Welcome Willow!
                              When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
                              X