Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security is not broke. The prediction that it will go "broke" in 17 years (or whatever the latest estimate is) means that at that time, the monies paid out each year will equal the monies paid in. However, given the existing funds in "the lockbox" (they are really US treasury IOU's, also still a top rated investment), plus annual collections, the system will still be able to pay benefits at 75% of the obligations - even without any additional funds in-putted.

If Social Security taxes were collected on 100% of earned income instead of only up to $110,000 (as is the case with Medicare tax) then that would cover 75% - 80% of the projected shortfall. A couple other small tweaks would balance the system indefinitely. More than half of all retirees over 65 rely exclusively on Social Security for income, and unlike private pensions that have been eliminated or reduced, SS is still there and remains reliable.

Medicare is truly unsustainable financially, and yet that is the most popular program in US government history. Public satisfaction with Medicare is quite high, and almost no one wants to give up their Medicare insurance and replace it with a privately purchased option, not that such is available for purchase; 80% of Medicare beneficiaries have at least one chronic disease, and 30% have four or more chronic conditions. Those people would never be able to purchase private insurance, due to pre-ex. Medicare overhead (administrative) costs are reported as 3%, as opposed to 20% or more on private health insurance plans. So although Medicare is not cheap, it is more affordable than the private options, and most importantly, it is available to almost all US residents age 65 and up, as well as those younger who are disabled.

So I would say those are two very popular and efficient government programs that have proven better than the private options currently available. And note that ACA will involve private insurance companies insuring the currently uninsured; the federal government will administer the enrollment and subsidy process.

Comment

Auto insurance is required by the states, but that is different, it doesnt require you to have insurance upon yourself, it requires that you carry liability incase you harm others while driving so to use that as an argument is a moot point .

Comment

Hoping Health-care is OK

I hope the entire act is deemed constitutional. I know the bill is not perfect but it a major step in the right direction, especially for MSers. I dont know about others but I have been deined insurance because of my illness.. The law will no only help me but many others as well. (I'm tired of but not concerned that someone will get a hand-out, so?)I'm not going to turn down help under the guise of patriotism.
        [I]Tellnhelen
        Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

First reports are that the ACA has been upheld. Under the law, we MSers, and others with pre-existing conditions, will not be discriminated against.

Comment

Obamacare's constitutionality has been upheld by the Supreme Court! Justice Roberts was the deciding vote in a split decision.

Comment

I have great state health insurance, but will lose it now.
              Because the state can now stop my coverage and force me to go on federal selective coverage.
              Bye Bye Ampyra, Bye Bye Copaxone, hello the cheapest treatment they will allow.
              Likely pain management only.
              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

America exist in name only

Comment

I can understand why some people don't like the ACA. I can understand the frustration about the 'fine'.

But guess what? Many things the government has been forced to do for the good of the people have been unpopular.

If charities 'worked' like so many think they would, there would have been no need for something like this. A person with MS could contact a charity and explain their situation.

Well, they obviously can't cover the costs. Which is why so many are uninsured. Even before the MS dx, I couldn't be covered. I was dx'd with Asthma in 2008. Insurance companies would LAUGH if I applied, just because I use Flovent 2 times a day and take 1 Singulair 1x a day.

Add Copaxone to that list.

Currently I am covered by Tricare (hurray for active duty husband). I was medically retired, so I can keep Tricare if I pay the premiums, HOWEVER.... The govt is looking at increasing premiums by 345% by 2015, last I checked. It was already going to cost somewhere between 159 and 250 dollars a month to cover just me. (And this is the system that is supposed to cover retirees and vets... when I only get paid 545 a month in retirement).

Needless to say, I was a bit despairing when I saw those numbers. Two young kids and only one 'solid' income... daycare is not an option. Getting a good job as a military spouse is actually pretty difficult, and working at Walmart isn't really an option either. (low pay, long hours would require daycare... walmart pay would not be worth the daycare cost)

So.. yes. I was rooting for the ACA. I've seen my statements.. and they've opened my eyes. All my tests? Never would have gotten done if I wasn't covered. My meds? 3600 a month... I only have to pay twelve dollars and Tricare pays the ENTIRETY of the rest. Look at that word. ENTIRETY. They never pay full price, ever. But for my Copax, they do.

Which means that is actually what it is worth. Can you imagine having to pay 3600 out of pocket every month just for a chance at slowing this MonSter?

I can't.

Comment

How can the State do this?

I have great state health insurance, but will lose it now.
                    Because the state can now stop my coverage and force me to go on federal selective coverage.
                    Bye Bye Ampyra, Bye Bye Copaxone, hello the cheapest treatment they will allow.
                    Likely pain management only, ALL praise Chairman Mao’bama

I'm just confused when people say they will lose their coverage. How does the State stop your coverage and how do they force you onto another? Is the state your employer?

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post

I'm just confused when people say they will lose their coverage. How does the State stop your coverage and how do they force you onto another? Is the state your employer?
                      ACA requires every person in America that works pay the federal tax that pays for health insurance for every person in America. In 2014 the federal insurance take over, state and tax payers have the option not to take it, but still will have to pay for it. How many states do you think will pay for your insurance, if the feds will pay for it instead.

And federal will require federal insurance to cover birth control, drug treatment programs, weight lose programs, stop smoking and drinking programs, etc.

Comment

Those that think this passage is going to lower any health care costs are going to be surprised! They will either no longer get the medicines they desire (too expensive! Yes we'll cover pre-existing conditions, but with our choice, and only if you can deem yourself a benefit to society ),
                        or your tax will be cost-prohibitive.

That is if you get any income at all. The problem today is that too many people don't even pay a minimum of any tax. So those of us that do, will pay even more!

It is a very sad day in America!
                        Brenda
                        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

The acrimonious debate will rage on...

For the Left: Health care for all!

For the Right: The sky is falling!

But for someone with MS: No pre-existing conditions has a nice ring to it.

Comment

To TLC 31,
                            Keep in mind the answer B. Franklin of Philadelphia gave when asked about the outcome of the Constitutional Convention. He reportedly said, ' You have a Democracy...if you can keep it'.
                            Also, you are supremely correct that no one in America is forced to do anything. So when you flush your toilet, I trust you are cleaning it up yourself, because I pay my 'fair' share of the sewer utility taxes..so I don't have to deal with that mess. Also, there is no provision that you 'must' pay federal taxes to the IRS. So, go ahead and try to argue that position. "
                            I am glad to hear that the Supreme Court , assisted by justice John Roberts, voted the way they did.
                            And I am not surprised who the dissenters are. The conservatives who would let the weakest in our country drown as long as their friends 'et al' water ski. And for all who think their healthcare coverage will be compromised by this law, I suggest you contact
                            Mr. T. Boone Pickins and ask him for his considerable financial assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
                              The acrimonious debate will rage on...

For the Left: Health care for all!

For the Right: The sky is falling!

But for someone with MS: No pre-existing conditions has a nice ring to it.
                              I like the idea of not being denied because of pre-existing conditions too. Of course they can't deny you now either, as long as you maintain consistent coverage...which is harder to do in these days of job layoffs, etc.

I'm not too political these days, IMO, the politicians are in it for themselves, and the power, otherwise, they'd be getting their healthcare under the same rules we do, which they don't. I've become very jaded regarding both parties in these latter years.

But anyhoo, I just read a yahoo article about the ruling, and the Supreme Court agreeing to it because Congress is allowed to tax us if they so please. Then I read the comments after the article.

One comment by a guy who said how he intended to use the "not being denied for pre-existing condition clause." I had never thought of it this way.

He is healthy, makes $85,000 per year, but right now paid $1001 per month in health care premiums. So when the law takes effect, he intends to drop his insurance, and pay the fine...which would equal 1% of his yearly income or $850. Therefore, he's going to pocket a little over $11,000 per year in extra money to use to private pay doctors, or if he's not sick, just spend or save.

But if he gets sick, since they can't deny you now if you have a pre-existing condition, then he'll buy an insurance policy. I don't know if that's how the law is actually written, but I sort of chuckled because there's always an angle or loophole that some people figure out.

So I guess the pre-existing policy issue can work both ways, depending if you've won the health lottery or not
                              Either way, it does need to be addressed...just don't know if situations like the guy above will backfire on us and cost everyone more in the long run.

Comment

Well said JerryD! I am always amazed when people who have chronic, expensive illnesses put this law down. Do they really think the rich are going to come running to their aid when their insurance kicks them off or says they have spent enough money on them? Never going to happen.

I for one feel ACA doens't go far enough there are still too many Americans left to fend for themselves without any means to do so. I say expand Medicare for all Americans. I don't subscribe to the thought that only certain sectors of the population deserve care. If you believe in liberty and justice for all how can you believe that is ok to allow people to go without a basic need like healthcare.

Comment

Working...
                                X