Heat Tolerance Suggestions: Combating Uhthoff’s Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat Tolerance Suggestions: Combating Uhthoff’s Syndrome

Willhelm Uhthoff, German ophthalmologist, was the first doctor that with increased body temperature Multiple Sclerosis (MS) patients may exhibit increased symptoms. As an ophthalmologist he noticed a transient increase in visual impairment. After physical exertion, MS patients may have an increase in optical neuritis, fatigue, spasticity and even cognitive symptoms.

Uhthoff’s findings led to the “hot bath” diagnostics for MS
    in the 1950s. Patients suspected of having MS would be dunked into a hot bath and observed for an increase in symptoms. If you literally needed help getting out of the bath you were thought to have MS. Thankfully, hot bath tests are no longer administered. Uhthoff’s findings have eventually led to advent of cooling gear for MS patients.
    Later research has shown that even a one degree heat increase may hamper nerve conduction for MS patients. Patients with greater levels of demyelination tend to be more sensitive to temperature increases.

Did you know? In the August 31, 2010 issue of “Neurology” seasonal variations in lesion development were noted. Between March and August, lesion development was 2-3 times higher than between September and February.

Combating Uhthoff’s Syndrome

Avoid the heat of the day
    Try to plan your outdoor activities and more strenuous jobs during the early morning hours. Pace yourself and take a 10 minute break for every 20 minutes of sun exposure or physical exertion. Breaks should be done indoors, in the shade or someplace where temperatures are cooler.

Review the weather forecasts and plan certain tasks ahead of time. If the temperature will be cooler in a few days try to postpone tasks until then.

Stay in air-conditioning whenever possible. I supplement air conditioning by having a floor fan blowing on me the majority of the day. If you do not have central air conditioning, considering getting either a portable air conditioner or window unit. You can also “borrow” air-conditioning while at the movies, windows shopping at the mall or reading a book at the public library.

Drink Water
    You must stay hydrated in warmer weather. You should be consuming approximately 1 cup of water ever 15-20 minutes. You can sweat up to 2 quarts/hour so staying hydrated is critical. Cool water is absorbed more readily than ice cold or hot water. One tactic I use is to drink one glass of water every time I fill up my glass and then take a full glass with me. I have also used an egg timer to remind me to drink water … it’s irritating, but effective.

Alcohol, carbonated and caffeinated beverages should be avoided in the heat. These beverages can give you a false indicator you are hydrated or work as a diuretic to actually rid your body of fluids.

Rules of thumb for inadequate water intake:
    • Thirst is an indication that you are already mildly dehydrated
    • Dark yellow or musky urine indicates a water shortage.
    • Not going to the bathroom is another indication that you are not drinking enough water.

Dress Appropriately

Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing that breathes. Wear a hat, UV protected glasses and sun block. Stash a spare set of clothing in your car to change into if your clothing gets drenched with sweat.

Considering purchasing cooling gear and wear it. You can also try to qualify for free cooling gear from the MSAA  http://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling-products/

I also keep ice packs in the freezer and will take them with me on car trips. I will put the ice pack between me and the seat to try and keep my core temperature cooler. You can pack a ice chest of water and ice packs to keep you both hydrated and cool.

When possible, I will also wear shorts and sandals to destinations and change once I arrive at the location.

Acclimatize
    Acclimatize to your environment by gradually increasing your exposure to hot environments and/or activities. Full acclimatization takes approximately 2 weeks for your body to adjust in the heat. Be especially careful, if you are traveling to or vacationing in an area significantly warmer than where you live.

The first 90 degree day of a hot summer may be scorching, but come mid-August a 90-day may actually provide some relief.

Eat smaller meals of cool foods
    Your body temperature rises when you digest meals. The bigger the meal the larger the temperature increase you will experience. Try to eat smaller, but more frequent meals to stay cooler.

Have you ever noticed that many restaurants have seasonal menus? Summer menus tend to be lighter fare of cooler foods. Try to avoid meals like hot soups and hot beverages. Stick to lighter and cooler meals like fresh fruits and vegetables. Salads and cold sandwiches can be good choices.

Exercise
    Exercise can help you manage MS symptoms, increase your overall health and help you fare better in the heat. You should consult your doctor prior to beginning and exercise regimen, but this can pay significant long-term benefits.

If you are highly susceptible to overheating, consider enrolling in a water exercise class. These classes may possibly be supported by your local NMSS chapter or YMCA/YWCA. Water therapy can minimize temperature increases while providing the benefits of exercise.

Parking
    Many of you have heard of heat-related deaths in cars. Car temperatures can quickly exceed 140 degrees during the summers so park in the shade whenever possible. Use sun shields and crack windows when and where it makes sense.
    If someone else is driving you, see if they will drop you off at the entrance prior to parking.

If you do not have a handicapped placard or plate discuss it with your neurologist on your next visit. Many newer cars may have a remote start feature to begin cooling off your car before you reach it.

Cool Off
    When I get home I may feel somewhat overheated, I will go to the freezer and pull out an ice pack or 4 and lay on them. Twenty minutes later I will feel so much better. If I string too many tasks together, I'll definitely pay the price now and again later.

Remember to pace yourself and listen to your body. If you find yourself overheating take a break. Find a cool place or some shade and sit down for a drink of water. Give your body a fighting chance against the heat.

I hope this is helpful information and others will also post their tips on staying cool!
    Last edited by Kimba22; 06-26-2016, 09:26 AM. Reason: correct url

Thanks for this, Marco - very informative and helpful! Stay cool everyone
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Very informative. I would like to comment on the seasonal part regarding lesions - it's my understanding that there are more exacerbations in the spring because that's when you've been longest away from the summer sun, i.e. when vitamin D stores are at their lowest.

I don't think they meant to imply that there were more lesions developing due to heat. Uhthoff's is temporary.

BTW, the h's are silent. It's pronounced oo-toffs, if you want to impress your doctor.

Comment

Thanks great information because the heat does bother me and we are headed on vacation next week. I did get a free cooling vest from the msaa.

Comment

Thank you so much Marco

I've obviously read about dealing with Utthoffs, as despite having MS for 21 years and a fairly "mild" course, it really affects me.
          Your summary is so succinct and will help many people!
          You're a diamond geezer as we say in the UK :-) x

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
            I don't think they meant to imply that there were more lesions developing due to heat. Uhthoff's is temporary.
            Source: Meier D, et al "Seasonal prevalence of MS disease activity" Neurology 2010; 75: 799-806.

The research confirmed that disease activity was twice as likely during the warmer months, Meier and colleagues wrote.

"The investigators then tested for associations of seasonality with meteorologic data, and found strong correlations of disease activity with warmer temperatures, and levels of solar radiation, but not for precipitation."

This was followed up in the March 7th, 2012 Neurology magazine (http://www.neurology.org/content/78/13/964.abstract) with this article:

"Warmer outdoor temperature is associated with worse cognitive status in multiple sclerosis"

Victoria M. Leavitt, PhD, James F. Sumowski, PhD, Nancy Chiaravalloti, PhD and John DeLuca, PhD

Conclusions: Cognitive status in patients with MS is worse on warmer days, consistent with a previously established link between heat and lesion activity.

Comment

Thanks for the post Marco- it is a great report on a very irritating symptom for many of us!

I buy bottled water by the case and keep a rotating stock of about 6 in my freezer. Anytime I leave my house (even to go in the yard) I take a cooler bag, stick two bottles in the bag and keep one out.

The one that's out will melt and be my drinking water. One of the cooler bag bottles will be used to put on my body to lwer my temp. A frozen water bottle to the neck is a fabulous, quick way to cool off. The last one is a backup.

And I firmly believe that heat cause serious lesion activity. I had two NASTY summers in a row fololowed by less-symptomatic other sasons until I finally got ON last September after a hot day at the amusement park. I finally got Dx after that and am now SUPER careful in the heat.

Comment

I urge anyone with questions regarding the link between heat and actual disease activity read the full information for themselves. The first study :
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2938966/

From that study : "There are limitations to this retrospective study arising from cohort size and unrecorded variables: the 44 subjects studied here are insufficient to extrapolate prevalence and range of susceptibility for a seasonal effect onto the entire MS population, as well as a putative link to vitamin D."

Interesting study, to be sure, though, by no means definitive. We should also keep in mind that the results (disease activity being higher and more intense between March and September) didn't hold for all those studied. Of the 44 patients studied, 13 had no new lesions at all and 24 had relapses. Additionally, they found that those with progressive types of MS had a different set of peak months, January to July.

For the sake of clarity, I'll continue to use Uhthoff's as the generic term for increased symptoms due to an increased body temp. Though, strictly speaking, Uthoff's initially only referred to the blurring of vision due to increased body temp and not an increase to all symptoms.

As to the second study Marco posted, the article in Neurology also clearly states "outside temperature". We all know, Uthoff's itself is triggered by warmer temperature, whether that increased temperature is caused by warm weather, exercise or a hot shower. No study is needed to tell us that we don't perform at our best when we're too hot.

I'd be curious to know if , given the possibility of Uhthoff's due to those warmer outdoor temperatures, they also took the body temperature of the 40 MS patients involved in that study or if they just chalked up the differences to outdoor temp alone.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2377/11/27

From that article, a bit of info on heat sensitivity:
                "Clinically, increased body temperature can result in increased neurological signs and MS symptoms. Blurred vision, known as Uthoff's phenomenon and first described in 1890, is caused by increased body temperature due to physical exercise or physical restraint . The body temperature is found to influence nerve impulses, which are blocked or slowed down in a damaged nerve . After normalization of the temperature, signs and symptoms improve or disappear ."

While further study may later indicate lesions, relapses,etc may increase seasonally with heat being a factor, we know that Uthoff's (heat sensitivity) is temporary and occurs independently of season or outside temperature and does not indicate new disease activity.

Comment

Marco,

Those are interesting studies. I still can't see if they controlled for Vitamin D levels and Uthoff's. They include the whole period of March-August, which if you think about vitamin D levels, makes sense. Your vitamin D stores should be highest right after summer and drop until you can start getting in the sun again.

As far as the 2nd study, they seem to be trying to prove their earlier conclusions, but without knowing whether they controlled for Vitamin D and uthoff's, it's interesting but I'm not sure if I agree.

I think for most people, feeling bad in the heat is just Uthoff's and not disease activity. We should all check our vitamin D levels as well.

Comment

I suffer from the leg spasms,right foot drop and the feeling like I'm walking against a current all the time. It is much worse when I'm overheated and better after I cool down. But on the other extreme if I can lower my core temp I can walk normal and the foot drop is gone. I live in Wilmington NC. If I get in the ocean and can stay there for @ 60 minutes at a water temp of 78-84 degrees I can come out and walk entirely normal for @ 15 minutes until my core temp rises back up then all the symptoms return.

Comment

Working...
                    X