No announcement yet.

Jack Osborne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked on both the Today show and GMA ( and the CBS morning show, for what its worth ). You need to take their information with a 'grain of salt'. All of the news you hear from the internet, tv and newspapers are like 'whispering down the lane'. If the 'news' doesn't pass the 'smell test', you need to forget it or dig deeper. Some sources are 'politically' motivated and slanted. Some are 'financially' motivated. Some are for entertainment value only. The talk shows are not in any way motivated by 'real' news. They aren't trying to fool anyone. They just try to introduce topics to their audience that is informative or entertaining. And 'talk' shows are cheap to produce. Makes the big 'alphabet soup' broadcasting companies happy.

Comment

All the ways that the media talk about MS irritates me. And I just erased a big long repsonse just like I have done a thousand times before because it won't do anyone any good.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
      I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare one against another. It can be human nature to do so. I know that I think of myself as "lucky" given my relatively low level of disability when I see what this disease does to others.

The 20 year thing is harder for me to pinpoint. People who are diagnosed today will surely benefit from the advances made over the last 20 years. But being diagnosed today doesn't mean that someone developed MS yesterday.

I was dx'd less than a year ago, although it seems I've had MS for over 20 years. My first major relapse was 21 years ago. It went undiagnosed and my MS went into pretty deep sleep for 18 years. It surfaced again 3 years ago, went undiagnosed and back to sleep until last July. That's when The dx process began in earnest.

21 years ago there were no DMD's to speak of. So even If I had been diagnosed they couldn't do much. On the other hand if I had been diagnosed 20 years ago I would have had access to DMD's as they became available. If that were the case maybe my initial DX wouldn't have been SPMS

Kyle
        At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by alishape View Post
          Kellygrn, I am newly diagnosed and almost every doctor I have spoken to has mentioned how "lucky" I am to have been diagnosed at this time. You know as opposed to 15 or 20 years ago, I guess because of DMDs. Actually lots of ordinary joes share that belief, because I've heard it many times talking to friends and coworkers.Maybe it's because at first I took my diagnosis very badly, so people would always say things like, "It's not the death sentence it used to be".

I really hate it when people say things like that or "you should be happy because other people have it much worse than you do". It's terrible and I do not believe people should measure themselves against other people miseries to make themselves feel better.
          I don't know that M.S. was ever a "death sentence", just a "living in misery sentence", so I have to bite my tongue when I hear that annoying statement!

I try to be forgiving. It takes less energy than getting mad. Without having M.S. yourself or having a close family member with it, it's a hard disease to wrap your head around. It reminds me of that scene from the Titanic where the old Rose tells the techie guy, "Thank you for that fine forensic analysis, Mr. Bodine. Of course the actual experience of it was somewhat less clinical."
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by muse_7 View Post
            All the ways that the media talk about MS irritates me. And I just erased a big long repsonse just like I have done a thousand times before because it won't do anyone any good.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
            Hahahahaha!

As Richard Cohen says M.S. is not a "sexy" enough disease to get the media attention other diseases get. I assume that nobody else is disecting these M.S. reports with the same intensity as our "private audience" here at MSW!
            Tawanda

Comment

Just saw Jack Ozzy on The Talk

Short and OK, bottom line was Jack plans to be vocal about and support MS.

To me it sounds more positive than other famous MSers have been.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                I worked on both the Today show and GMA ( and the CBS morning show, for what its worth ). You need to take their information with a 'grain of salt'. All of the news you hear from the internet, tv and newspapers are like 'whispering down the lane'. If the 'news' doesn't pass the 'smell test', you need to forget it or dig deeper. Some sources are 'politically' motivated and slanted. Some are 'financially' motivated. Some are for entertainment value only. The talk shows are not in any way motivated by 'real' news. They aren't trying to fool anyone. They just try to introduce topics to their audience that is informative or entertaining. And 'talk' shows are cheap to produce. Makes the big 'alphabet soup' broadcasting companies happy.
                Great points and I rarely get too sucked into what I hear about MS on TV or anywhere other than a peer reviewed journal article. Heck I had a PA the other day who was going to tell me about how MS progresses based on the two people with MS that he knew, lol.

I only caught the tail end of the Talk today, was that his girlfriend sitting next to him?

I about spit out my lunch when I heard her cheery assertion that now Jack will be eating better, exercising and reducing stress so MS might actually be a blessing. That didn't impress me in the slightest.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

This is different time than it was years ago with celebrities were diagnosed. I heard David Landers (Squiggy on "Laverne and Shirley) speak a few years ago and he kept his diagnosis quiet for fear of losing work (something most of us can relate to). Thank goodness Jack is speaking up about MS and shedding a light on MS.

Comment

My doctor told me I was "Lucky" as well. What a stupid thing to say! Lucky is not to get the disease. In fact, i didn't get MS 20 years ago - or cancer or malaria, but should I get any new disease, I won't feel lucky.

Comment

His explanation was lacking in specificity...the important thing is the publicity...he did explain it's not a death sentence; can manifest itself in many different physical symptoms that can come and go; doesn't affect life longevity. He has partial blindness in one eye but it is improving.

Pretty good for someone who has was diagnosed only 5 weeks ago.

Comment

He also commented that it is a very hard disease to diagnosis and that we are all different. From the part I saw, I thought he did a great job.

There is now a link to the National MS Society on "The Talk"'s website. You have scroll down to see it but its there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironsides View Post
                          His explanation was lacking in specificity...the important thing is the publicity...he did explain it's not a death sentence; can manifest itself in many different physical symptoms that can come and go; doesn't affect life longevity. He has partial blindness in one eye but it is improving.

Pretty good for someone who has was diagnosed only 5 weeks ago.
                          I agree but why oh why the constant need to reassure us that our lifespan won't be shortened??? Which I would disagree with anyway.

Maybe I'm just not very brave but if given a choice I would much rather it shortened my life instead of robbing me of all my independence and allowing me to linger for years and years.
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          Anonymous

Comment

I only caught the tail end of the Talk today, was that his girlfriend sitting next to him?

I about spit out my lunch when I heard her cheery assertion that now Jack will be eating better, exercising and reducing stress so MS might actually be a blessing. That didn't impress me in the slightest.[/QUOTE]

That was his fiance Lisa who is most supportive. Both she and Jack say they are doing better than all others who are just learning about his DX. He has had some symptoms over several years, like numbness in both legs. He says he's feeling much better since the few years he has had some signs.

But I agree with his fiance when she said, he'll be eating better, exercising more and how this DX is helping him learn how to better care for himself. That is what she meant as a "blessing".. they definitely do not have the doom and gloom attitude. I bet they were shocked, in denial and went through many different emotions long before this was announced so publically.

AND he said he is going to be another FACE to bring more attention to research for MS. That is great!!

Jan
                            I believe in miracles~!
                            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Totally agree with Jules A....

I applaud Jack and Sharon for bringing the diagnosis to national TV and hopefully increasing awareness of MS, but when his fiance said it was, "a blessing in disguise" I just about fell off the couch! Come on girlie, get real!

As long as people keep putting on the rose colored glasses when talking about the effects and life course of having MS, no one is going to pay much attention to the disease, lack of funding for research, or how little attention and devotion is given to other forms of MS besides RRMS!

I hope that people who viewed the show will take a little bit of time and actually educate themselves on the lifelong battle of those of us with MS, not just the pretty forms, but all of it! The losses and sacrifices we have had to make because of MS , our family sacrifices, our financial turmoils, just everything that this ******* disease has robbed us of and WILL continue to take from us!

I'm not going to apologize for my views, I don't consider them negatvie or pessimistic, but realistic.

I sincerely hope he has an easy course of MS, if there is such a thing. And that he can use his and his family's celebrity status to bring attention to our cause. Not like another MSer that is more interested in pushing his pot shops and appearing on Dr. Oz and having a very public pity party for himself.

I live in a city that the former mayor decided not to run for an additional term, finally admitting publicly that she has MS and has had for 10+ years. Never a mention of this during her term(s), and I just about froth at the mouth when I think of what contributions and awareness she could have provide during her public run.

Sorry, I have gotten on the soap box during this post, I just become so frustrated when I see misinformation or just really ignorant people doing or saying really ignorant things with regards to the facts and reality of MS.
                              =^..^= Cat =^..^=

First Major MS Symptoms 2/25/06
                              Official MS Diagnosis 4/13/06
                              Bifer Babe, Copa Cutie, and finally a Gilenya Goddess

Comment

Tonight at 9:00 he will be interviewed on CNN.

Comment

Working...
                                X