No announcement yet.

Jack Osborne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I was diagnosed last year and I am watching Sharon Osborn on the talk and thinking man he isn't dying. I know this disease is a bad thing but I feel like the way the tv and internet is talking about Jack it is like he has a few months to live. Am I the only one thinking they are making a way big deal out of something we live with everyday?

Comment

Originally posted by lisa1014 View Post
      Ok so I was diagnosed last year and I am watching Sharon Osborn on the talk and thinking man he isn't dying. I know this disease is a bad thing but I feel like the way the tv and internet is talking about Jack it is like he has a few months to live. Am I the only one thinking they are making a way big deal out of something we live with everyday?
      We do live with it every day but imo it is a huge deal to be diagnosed with MS and personally I think here we tend to downplay it in the spirit of being "positive".

Perhaps it is because I have seen the worst of the worst in my line of work but this is a nasty disease and frankly there are times when I think a terminal diagnosis would be a blessing compared to what my future might be so I totally understand Sharon's devastation at this stage in the process.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I'm sure Sharon and her entire family will eventually relax into Jack's diagnosis. It takes too much energy to sustain that kind of emotion for very long. I know my family has calmed down over the years and no one really brings up the whole M.S. thing unless I do.

Rest assured, though, the initial diagnosis was a total freak out. I got my diagnosis, took to my bed, and waited to die. Next thing you know, I couldn't stand lying in bed for a minute longer and remembered that line from the movie, Shawshank Redemption that you can either get busy living or get busy dying. Well, I got busy living and it's been about an 8 year roller coaster ride but no one can make me apologize for totally freaking out when this all first went down, beginning with that deafening first trip down the MRI tube.

At least Sharon is real about it all, which is pretty unusual for the Hollywood sect.
        Tawanda

Comment

Ok maybe I was having a bad day yesterday. I understand it is a major blow to the entire family. Maybe I am upset at how my family is handling my dx.

Anyway now GMA just announced the good new is it is "very treatable" ok am I wrong? I was told my MS is not treatable just the symptoms and my DMD will cut down on my flares and not cure me. So how can they say it is very treatable. OK maybe I need to get away from the TV and go to work.

Comment

Ok maybe I was having a bad day yesterday. I understand it is a major blow to the entire family. Maybe I am upset at how my family is handling my dx.

Anyway now GMA just announced the good new is it is "very treatable" ok am I wrong? I was told my MS is not treatable just the symptoms and my DMD will cut down on my flares and not cure me. So how can they say it is very treatable. OK maybe I need to get away from the TV and go to work.
            MS is treatable in the sense that AIDS is treatable, or Diabetes, or some cancers. There isn't a cure, but there are DMDs and symptom medications to slow it down & keep it under control so you can live with it.

Comment

Lol, yeah the television isn't always our friend.

I find it disgraceful and irresponsible that anyone would have the nerve to call MS "very treatable". It is a chronic, progressive disease that has the potential to ruin lives.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

A neuro in yesterdays article said he felt sorry for those of us dx before DMD's. Oh well. I had a very bad day yesterday & reading that didn't help.

Now that made me mad. I have had MS for over 50 years. Wonder how many other docs feel the same way?

KK

Comment

"Not cureable but highly treatable" (?)

I know. I was stuck to the boob toob myself yesterday, too. When a celebrity announces they have M.S., I get obsessed about the coverage! Dr. Drew briefly covered it with a guest comedian, Adam someone and that was just so ridiculous. Entertainment Tonight actually did a better job. Yes, I did hear "not curable, but highly treatable" repeated a couple of times throughout the night's coverage. Kind of a goofy statement if you ask me, but at least our disease got some much needed exposure...at least for a day.
                  Tawanda

Comment

LOL Lisa,

Considering how they make a way big deal out of what they wear, their hair style, speeding or drunk driving tickets, I say their response has been normal for them.
                    (Not that their normal is normal. )
                    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I agree!

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                      Lol, yeah the television isn't always our friend.

I find it disgraceful and irresponsible that anyone would have the nerve to call MS "very treatable". It is a chronic, progressive disease that has the potential to ruin lives.
                      I completely agree! I googled "ms treatable" and came upon such reputable sites as MTV and Celebrity cafe! In my pre-MS life I worked with neurologists. When I was diagnosed I asked a couple of them their take on MS (without telling the i was diagnosed, of course) and they called it a disease of "inconvenience". I wish I felt that way!

Comment

Thanks Sharon!

Apparently Jack Osborne was too minor of a celebrity to generate much buzz. I guess he's no Annette Funicello or Richard Pryor, because it seemed like this story pretty much fizzled after about half a day! We should thank his Mom, Sharon, for her emotional outburst. Otherwise his M.S. diagnosis may have never hit the media in the first place!

As Rodney Dangerfield would say, this disease gets no respect!
                        Tawanda

Comment

Actually, Tawanda, I have seen this on at least a half of dozen various shows for 2 days. Jack himself will be on THE TALK with his mother tomorrow..check your listings!!

Jan
                          I believe in miracles~!
                          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

They actually said that, CougarMama? A disease of inconvenience?
                            Now that really does make me want to use several words that are very conveniently popping into my head.
                            None, alas, fit for a family web forum.

Comment

I saw a good report on CNN with true information yesterday, so it is getting attention.

Comment

Kellygrn, I am newly diagnosed and almost every doctor I have spoken to has mentioned how "lucky" I am to have been diagnosed at this time. You know as opposed to 15 or 20 years ago, I guess because of DMDs. Actually lots of ordinary joes share that belief, because I've heard it many times talking to friends and coworkers.Maybe it's because at first I took my diagnosis very badly, so people would always say things like, "It's not the death sentence it used to be".

I really hate it when people say things like that or "you should be happy because other people have it much worse than you do". It's terrible and I do not believe people should measure themselves against other people miseries to make themselves feel better.
                                You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Working...
                                X