Anyone a pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone a pilot

I was wondering if anyone here was a pilot? If so how to you manager your MS? Is it a problem? What meds do you like?

I'm a pilot. MS automatically invalidates your medical. I should point out that although I have MS, I am completely asymptomatic. You'll need to rely on part 67.401, a special issuance medical, which I'll call SI moving forward. It's the last bastion of flight medical.

I was given a special issuance medical last October, and will need to renew it in August. They still use your previously issued medical expiration date, the SI medical is only good for a year. Strangeness of the FAA, you still need to go get your regularly scheduled medical exam (which you will fail because of MS) at whatever your interval is.

You should contact your local regional flight medical office, they will provide you with the forms and requirements for MS. Your AME should be able to provide contact info. It's better to deal directly with the regional office.

You need to following to get your initial special issuance medical:

A good letter from your MS doctor saying that there are no impediments that he can see to being able to fly - this helps a lot of he's an AME - but even if not, putting stuff like your EDSS score is good.

All you medical history with regards to MS - lab reports, MRIs, visit reports, etc.

A visit to an ophthalmologist (not to be confused with an optometrist) and have them fill out the FAA form (8500-7). They'll also need to do visual field charts. Make sure you are very clear when you make the appointments that you need a very thorough exam - I tried to be, but they had no idea when I needed when I arrived. As far as I know, this is only required for the first SI medical.

You need to mail them your existing medical (now invalid).

Be very careful with the letter from your doctor - my doctor basically wrote a paragraph and asked if that was ok. I re-wrote it for him laying out all the requirements that were listed on the specifications for the neuro exam from the FAA that I sent him. He's asked me to write the one for the next round as well, since he doesn't know what needs to be in it - even though it's clearly spelled out in the FAA document - make sure you medical is listed in there as well, including side effects (or not).

Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Comment

I just noticed you had usaf in your name. I have no idea how the military handles MS, but I suspect you'll get a medical discharge almost immediately.

Comment

Retired USAF

Hello, I'm a retired Air Force officer. I started out enlisted then got commissioned through OTS. During my career I was an air traffic controller, weapons controller, and air surveillance officer. During most of my career I was on flying status until I was diagnosed with MS in 1991. The day the doctor suspected it was MS he told me, you’ll never fly again." I was upset with those words so checked the regs myself. Everything I found said, MS is NOT waiverable. My MS has gone from very bad to not very noticeable. Being told I could no longer fly or control aircraft crushed me and left me still somewhat inconsolable. But I have been very very blessed and even thou I have MS I have a very good life. Hang in there.
        P.S. I learned the hard way. Years ago when I was an E1 my boss told me, never tell a flight surgeon something you don't want them to know.

MDE

Comment

Air Force Flyer

Hello, I was not a pilot but when I was in the Air Force I was a flight crew member and also an air traffic controller. I had the same restrictions as pilots do. As soon as I was diagnosed with MS I was immediately taken off flying status. I do not think the FAA will allow someone with MS to fly.

Comment

Oh yes they will. I've had a special issuance medical for two years now. It was just renewed, and I have MS. You have to jump through some hoops, but it can be done.

There's also this article:

http://www.aopa.org/membership/artic.../080313ms.html

FAA is one thing, the military is another. I'm pretty sure you got a medical discharge as result of the MS, but if not, it's possible that if the MS is "well behaved," they might restore your flight status.

Regardless, it is possible to get a special issuance if you symptoms aren't too bad - mine are basically non-existent.

It's handled on a case by case basis by the regional flight surgeon after a review of a letter from your treating neuro and your medical records.

If this interests you, you should contact your regional flight surgeons office for more information. There are airline pilots with MS, according my neuro. I'm sure that are even bigger hurdles for them, since the level of medical they need (Class I vs. Class III) is much more stringent.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X