No announcement yet.

Handicapped Parking Permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was freaking out about my new mobility issues, I didn't even have to ask my neuro, he just offered to fill out the form and handed it over to me. It was hard for me to accept, but I got it anyway because I was in really bad shape. I've had it almost 2 months now and I already don't feel guilty about using it. If it helps get me through the grocery store a little better, then it's worth it.

Nobody has ever said anything to me about using the permit, but if they ever do, I've already decided I'll be just as rude right back to them. It's none of their business, but also, they don't know the daily struggles we go through. I'd be more than happy to trade my permit for a good set of legs. Luckily for me, I think I'm about to retire my handicap permit for a while (hopefully permanently). I just discovered that Saturday, and I couldn't have been more thrilled.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Wow...we sound like we are on the same track. I was DX on 1/5/13. I have not started meds yet..hopefully starting Gilenya this week.

I'm glad you are feeling better so soon after your DX. I will ask my neuro when I see him this week.

Comment

Was bound to happen

Well today was the day I was practically attacked by a nut job in the grocery store parking lot...because I did not "look handicapped". He shouted stuff out of his car, then before I pulled away came up to my car yelling at me...I had my 12yo daughter with me too. I went nuts on him and told him that I had MS, even though it's none of his business anyway. He said so, you look fine. What a jerk! I was so upset and when I got home, my husband went nuts...even went back to the shopping center to look for him, which made me nervous...don't need him in jail!

This guy also had the nerve to say he took pictures and is going to send them to the police or whatever...I said...go ahead !
        Needless to say...I am stressed to the max now and have a pounding headache. I just hope it does not bring on another flareup *fingers crossed*

Hope everyone is doing well...I've been on Gilenya for 6 weeks now and I'm feeling well, tired but much better!

Comment

Wow, Michelle! What a pile of manure that guy was! Although I haven't had someone yell at me, I've had some rather snide remarks. "You're too young for a cane" ... "knee surgery?". What gives others the right to ask?

I fought it as long as I could. I got a hanging placard a couple years ago and I'm so glad for it.
          Karen

Comment

Wow, that's ridiculous! And what good is him reporting you to the police going to do? They probably have on file that you've got a handicap placard (I'm assuming that's how it works). Sorry you had to go through that. If it happened to me, I'd probably freak out and call the police for the threatening behavior. People really need to mind their own business.
            Diagnosed 1/4/13
            Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

My s/o told me "you earned your handicap tag" to get me to start using it. I do not use it all the time, it DOES help when it is hot, treacherous weather, or I am needing to use my energy wisely. I also do not park in the handicap labeled "van only" for fear of taking a spot that a w/c person may need.
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Michelle,
                I have kept this phrase in mind, and have used it once.

"you can have my MS tag, ONLY if you ALSO take my MS."
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

If someone tells you "You don't look handicapped," you can always respond "Well you don't look stupid either."

Comment

Originally posted by MissMichelle View Post
                    Well today was the day I was practically attacked by a nut job in the grocery store parking lot...because I did not "look handicapped". He shouted stuff out of his car, then before I pulled away came up to my car yelling at me...I had my 12yo daughter with me too. I went nuts on him and told him that I had MS, even though it's none of his business anyway. He said so, you look fine. What a jerk!
                    MissMichelle

I started using HC parking shortly after my diagnosis at the age of 24, 28 years ago . I can't tell you how many times I have dealt with the "evil eye" look, comments, confrontational people and yes, getting in my face and yelling at me.

When my children were in school I had to drop off/pick-up. There was no bus service since it was a Charter School. I would usually get to their school early since parking was so horrible and I would park in HC.

For 2 years I had put up with verbal abuse from a certain parent and her friends, she even confronted my friends' husband who had been talking to me (that was a bad mistake on her part).

Because this certain parent made such a fuss about where I was parking the Assistant Principle came out and told me I can't park there and if I did she would call the police and I would be fined (I have HC plates on my vehicle) then she walked away.

I sat there confused for a moment...then I got pissed off. I went into the school asked to have my daughter released for the day and walked into the Assistant Principles Office and told her off.

When My husband found out he called her and told her off. That weekend I wrote a letter to the School Superintendent and explained the incident. He wrote me back and apologized. I never had any other problems.

Through the years I have found it easier to ignore people. I don't really care what they may think or say...they have no clue and I have no desire to explain or engage in such pettiness.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I got my tag about 2 weeks ago. The only place I've had to use it is at work.

Employee parking is about 1 1/2 blocks( also crossing extemely busy street), from my office. I had back & forth commincations with the Parking Director for about 2 weeks before the Director realized there was NO handicap parking near my office.

Now, because of my fighting for my legal rights, I have to park in the Handicap parking at work. Most days I don't need it. But as you all know, just because you don't need it that morning, wait 10 minutes, your symptoms may change!

Comment

I am so sorry that you are dealing with that parking problem

I am so sorry that you are dealing with that in addition to dealing with MS. My daughters get mad at me, because on busy days at the grocery, I won't park in the "Handicap Parking" because I don't want an elderly individual to have to walk farther, since I took that parking spot. But my husband gets the groceries now, as mostly I'm at home in the hospital bed.

Unless you have tons of literature, that she will read, it is very difficult to educate. There are people that understand, and those that have no idea.

I have never asked for anything, but do need help. I ask now. I know I have always been the helper. And I was a little surprised that none of those that I have helped, have helped me. But I am not really surprised, because they were never the helpers.

I am surprised that none of my or my husbands family has helped me. Sure, once a year they have offered to bake me a pie. So I guess I could eat a spoonful a day, and I would have food, for how long? These people are 'college educated.' So I guess they don't teach that in college. And they 'go to Church' each week. But maybe they weren't there on the day that was covered.

Oh, there you go, "but she looks so GOOD." So if I'm "uglier" they would help me. Then I get the comment, "She was arrogant." Well, since I would rather read, than watch cars drive fast in circles, I guess that makes me arrogant? What are they watching so closely for anyway, a wreck? That is exactly why I don't watch. I have no interest in watching a 'wreck.'

Anyway, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I'll bet before and still now, that you are one of the 'helpers.' I have discovered that most people with MS, are very smart, and have always been hard workers. I have very little of my brain left. But the small part that is here, still can type for a half hr today.

Take care,
                        Marie

Comment

Not sure where you live, but is a must for me in MN during the ice and snow season! You deserve to make yourself safe and conserve your energy!

Comment

I got my placard now that the summer is here in Texas. I know this is when I will really need it. I also got a cooling vest. So it should be an interesting summer.

Comment

I live in Texas too. Sometimes it can get up to 107-108 degrees in the summer. It's coming soon. I haven't gotten an HC pass yet but I'm just not sure I can do another summer without one. I never felt like I deserved it. The heat wipes me out and gives me cognitive problems. Soon I'm moving to a house that has no garage (I have one now) so I'm sure the hot car will be bad too.

I'm worried I will get harassed by people because I have the "but you look so good" kind of MS. Any good comebacks people want to share if someone gives you problems?

I just don't know if I can deal with the confrontation.

Comment

I've only used my parking pass once -- when I went to a concert, and the walk from the regular parking spaces would've been too long not to exhaust me.

So, I have never had to deal with the confrontation. But, I think that I just wouldn't. I'd simply turn at look at them and raise my eyebrows. Wouldn't need to say a nothing. It's none of their business.

~ Faith
                                ~ Faith
                                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                                X